Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Daily driver

Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Geez oh man! You guys really killed my dreams of having a Subaru as a do it all car! Haha.

I will respond in more depth to all this once I get to a computer. Thank you for all the info!

Not sure what other car to get besides a Subaru... Maybe an older acura RL awd?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been on the LGT forum for a while now and while there are a lot of people posting up with issues, most or all have modded cars running a good bit more boost. There are also tons who have 150K+ miles without issues besides possibly a clutch and or turbo replacement and a few other smaller things. Parts are pretty cheap for them which is good. Used turbo's are only about $400 or so.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Geez oh man! You guys really killed my dreams of having a Subaru as a do it all car! Haha.

I will respond in more depth to all this once I get to a computer. Thank you for all the info!

Not sure what other car to get besides a Subaru... Maybe an older acura RL awd?
Family has an RL sh awd. Great car but heavy, so less sporty. But it moves and the brakes are killer.

I want the tl shawd
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 AM
Member (Premium)

So with all this talk I have been thinking (This is the longest I have pondered about a car purchase, maybe ever! It usually only lasts 15 minutes and then I am calling dealers.. Haha.) with me wanting to start my own consulting business in a year or so, I will be traveling and will need something reliable for sure. So I have to be honest with myself and really see what my needs are. With us planning on kids ASAP, I would probably prefer leather to be able to wipe things off. Heated seats are absolute must for me, as is auto dimming mirrors.

The RL is looking better and better... although it is pretty loaded with options, not sure how many of those things break but it is an Acura... so should be reliable.

I feel like I'm asking for a lot for $20k... sigh. As much fun as a WRX or legacy sound, and when they are running I am sure they are fun, I won't be able to afford to have the car giving me problems with I'm between clients or whatever it may be.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 AM

So with all this talk I have been thinking (This is the longest I have pondered about a car purchase, maybe ever! It usually only lasts 15 minutes and then I am calling dealers.. Haha.) with me wanting to start my own consulting business in a year or so, I will be traveling and will need something reliable for sure. So I have to be honest with myself and really see what my needs are. With us planning on kids ASAP, I would probably prefer leather to be able to wipe things off. Heated seats are absolute must for me, as is auto dimming mirrors.

The RL is looking better and better... although it is pretty loaded with options, not sure how many of those things break but it is an Acura... so should be reliable.

I feel like I'm asking for a lot for $20k... sigh. As much fun as a WRX or legacy sound, and when they are running I am sure they are fun, I won't be able to afford to have the car giving me problems with I'm between clients or whatever it may be.
The RL in our family is an 05, the year to probably avoid, but it's got 110K on it now and nothing but regular service.

I've taken it through mountain passes in very deep snow with michelin AS tires. The SH-AWD system out performs my Subi AWD with snow tires. The major difference is in stopping - which snow tires just have more grip.

The motor is rock solid. The AWD system the best out there in a sedan. It will return 25mpg which is better then get in my subi. It has a large cabin and a great trunk. Keyless entry and start.

It doesn't have any upgrade options but it doesn't need them. If you're doing 80mph and you need to get to 110, it goes like a bat out of hell.

Under heavy braking the car is well planted, with little fad and the dual piston calipers offer a lof of friction.

While corning the SH-AWD system helps make the car feel lighter. My only complaint is it is a 4000lbs car. It never will feel like a 3300 no matter the power or the AWD system.

It does however feel very solid under every weather condition you can throw at it. PUt it into a turn and it tracks the line you'd expect. It's not BMW 5 series but it gets close enough where I'd buy one if I wanted a RL.

Certain years have a little tranny whine when cold. Research this on acuraizne.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1384521704' post='22878467

The RL in our family is an 05, the year to probably avoid, but it's got 110K on it now and nothing but regular service.

I've taken it through mountain passes in very deep snow with michelin AS tires. The SH-AWD system out performs my Subi AWD with snow tires. The major difference is in stopping - which snow tires just have more grip.

The motor is rock solid. The AWD system the best out there in a sedan. It will return 25mpg which is better then get in my subi. It has a large cabin and a great trunk. Keyless entry and start.

It doesn't have any upgrade options but it doesn't need them. If you're doing 80mph and you need to get to 110, it goes like a bat out of hell.

Under heavy braking the car is well planted, with little fad and the dual piston calipers offer a lof of friction.

While corning the SH-AWD system helps make the car feel lighter. My only complaint is it is a 4000lbs car. It never will feel like a 3300 no matter the power or the AWD system.

It does however feel very solid under every weather condition you can throw at it. PUt it into a turn and it tracks the line you'd expect. It's not BMW 5 series but it gets close enough where I'd buy one if I wanted a RL.

Certain years have a little tranny whine when cold. Research this on acuraizne.

Thank you for the feedback! I am familiar with the SHAWD, we have a 2009 RDX for my wife and the awd system is phenomenal. It makes that RDX handle like a small car. That's mostly the reason I bought it for her - it's very safe. I can't wait to get that thing in the snow!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We have a 07' RL with 85k on it and everyone sums it up best, a little heavy, but loaded, and it does everything you need it to do.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Member (Premium)

I think I've decided to go after a certified Preowned 09-10 wrx. It's at the top of my budget but, it will do everything I want and it will be under warranty.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

I think I've decided to go after a certified Preowned 09-10 wrx. It's at the top of my budget but, it will do everything I want and it will be under warranty.
warranty means nothing with Subaru though. They have not warrantied plenty of stock cars for various problems. Subaru NA is one of the worst manufacturers in terms of warranty work from what I've heard.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1384742075' post='22881641
warranty means nothing with Subaru though. They have not warrantied plenty of stock cars for various problems. Subaru NA is one of the worst manufacturers in terms of warranty work from what I've heard.
Yup.

Op way to take group advice and ignore it. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Daily driver