Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Daily driver

Old 11-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys!

So I feel like I am on the right track. STI would be nice BUT.. I learned trying to daily an S2000.. an STI may be too stiff for me. I worry about the other end with a legacy GT, I love everything about that car.. but worry that it may be too soft for me for the every once in a while I'm on "that" road where I can't behave myself and want to have some fun. That is where I arrive at the WRX. I think it will be a nice mix of both.

One problem with these cars are finding ones that don't have a pile of miles on them AND stock. Legacy GT's seem like they are just hard to find at all.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Saki GT
You could get a nearly new, nearly loaded AWD Suzuki Kizashi at $20k. Its only 180 hp but it is supposed to be a lot of fun to drive and well-equipped. They are on kind of a fire sale as Suzuki ramps down production.

Otherwise, I think an older Legacy GT is your best bet for fun, reliable, awd sedans.
Call me ignorant, but I don't trust Suzuki. I never have. I've seen crappy build quality on their ATVs/motorcycles since I've been 5 years old. The few people I know of with Kizashis have had problems with them... although I do think they are a sharp looking car in the right color.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Legacy gt is basically same as the 08+ wrx just much nicer interior.

With front and rear sway bars it makes a massive difference.

They are harder to find especially with low miles since newest one is 2009.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're not reading the BMW sucks threads, you can probably find a 335xi for 20k as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Down grade? In terms of price? You have the accord LX right? I wouldnt do it, at this point your accord is probably worth 18K (trade in) if that. So if you go out and spend 20K for an older vehicle with more mileage (read less reliable), you will end up upside-down in your loan. If you are doing it to get a 4 wheel drive vehicle, again dont do it!. Take it from a guy who has driven through 4 winters, has logged over 100K miles total in 3 different s2000s, and lives in the northeast, all you need are good winter tires (Blizzaks). Financially you are better off just keeping the accord. If you are doing it because you are bored, then I understand.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by HwangTKD
Down grade? In terms of price? You have the accord LX right? I wouldnt do it, at this point your accord is probably worth 18K (trade in) if that. So if you go out and spend 20K for an older vehicle with more mileage (read less reliable), you will end up upside-down in your loan. If you are doing it to get a 4 wheel drive vehicle, again dont do it!. Take it from a guy who has driven through 4 winters, has logged over 100K miles total in 3 different s2000s, and lives in the northeast, all you need are good winter tires (Blizzaks). Financially you are better off just keeping the accord. If you are doing it because you are bored, then I understand.
I never finance more than 50% of the purchase price of a vehicle. I am bored. I like the accord, it's a great car for what it is.. but it's too vanilla to drive everyday. I live in PA, I put full winter tires on every vehicle I own, whether it's fwd, rwd, awd. I know the accord will go in the snow, I'm not worried about that. Again, just bored. I too DD'd an S2000 through this past winter with full snows.. so so much fun, but I honestly hated getting in and out of the car every day, noise, lack of space, the stiffness.. Don't get me wrong, that was my second S and I LOVE the cars.. I will have one again, but I will never daily one again.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

08+ STI is definitely NOT "stiff" if you stick with the factory suspension and bushings. You should find one to test drive. They hold their value well, so you probably won't find one for under $20k unless it has a lot of miles.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would look at the B6/7 Audi S4's, the V8 is very reliable and it is comfortable and relatively fun to drive with good power and a manual. They can be had for well under $20k or right about 20 for a decent low mileage version. Gas mileage not great but it seems to check all the boxes.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
08+ STI is definitely NOT "stiff" if you stick with the factory suspension and bushings. You should find one to test drive. They hold their value well, so you probably won't find one for under $20k unless it has a lot of miles.
Not stiff, but they are not comfortable at all. An s2000 is more comfortable than a stock STI suspension. And STI's/WRXs aren't really that reliable
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by erik
If you're not reading the BMW sucks threads, you can probably find a 335xi for 20k as well.

Before I purchased my 2014, I looked at some used 3 series. I found several 2009/10 328xi for around $23k with less than 30,000 miles on them. They are not blazing fast but do 60 in under six seconds, have a very simple reliable NA 6, and if you find one with a sport package should be a pretty fun car that is very modern looking.

Quick Reply: Daily driver