Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Civic Si or WRX
Civic Si
25.00%
WRX
75.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Current gen Civic Si or WRX?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go with Si because of mpg and slick shifting gear box, unless you need AWD for snow, then WRX all the way
Old 10-13-2015, 12:09 PM

This one's easy.

Subaru has one of the best resale values of any car manufacturer out there. Safety, great gas mileage (newer, more efficient models now), AWD, utility, reliability...it's hard to fault the cars. Like any manufacturer, there are duds out there, but they are well-known for their reliability. I might be biased, but this is also not my first Subaru. I have not had any problems with my STi in my past. The Crosstrek is a great companion to an S2k owner. Ask me how I know.

Kind Regards,
Ryan
Old 10-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,232 Likes on 1,076 Posts

MPG and regular vs premium gas are minor economic issues.. My wife's son balked at a Civic SI and got an EX because the SI uses 93 Octane. 15,000 miles a year at 25mpg is $360/year or $30/month at the 60¢/gallon price difference. $7 a week. A 6-pack of good beer! Get more than 25mph and the cost goes down; more miles and it goes up but not drastically enough for me to choose.

I currently own two Subarus (13 Outback and 14 Legacy 3.6R) and prefer them to the Honda equivalents. Never thought I'd say that after literally a dozen or more Civics and Accords over the years.

Me? I'd buy the WRX given only the choice of these two.

-- Chuck
Old 10-13-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by IPB
Subies are know for being very reliable and very safe. Not to mention resale as mentioned above.

Go with the WRX.
I am on my 4th Subaru right now. Safe, I suppose; hopefully will never find out. The 3 other Subaru's had average resale value; nothing to write home about. Our most current Subaru is a '13 Forester.

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I also won't consider a used WRX - not here. They're all modded or previously modded and returned to stock... That's a big no for that car.
Smart.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go WRX between the two going brand new assuming semi-similar pricing, but you could also save a ton of money and get a 2006-2009 Civic SI for ~$8,000-$14,000. If going used, I think the Civic SI is the better option in a way because of higher reliability and the used WRX's are almost always way overpriced (imo)!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Drive a Wrx and than drive a civic si. I wouldn't Be able to drive a civic si after driving the Wrx.

The new Wrx is much better than the old Wrx. The Si is slow as balls, and IMO sucks to drive everyday. I hated when I drove one for a few days
Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 PM

I think the civic si is a very comfortable and reliable car. My brother daily drives his for years already, no problems at all. Compared to the wrx, it probably makes a better daily driver. Less gas + Honda reliability. Seats are pretty comfortable as well.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Personally I wouldn't be able to deal with how slow the Impreza is. 148 hp, woof. One of my friends has a base Impreza 5 speed and whenever I drive it he always comments that I really rev out the engine and shift at a high rpm. It's not really fun to do that, but that's what I have to do to accelerate at a pace I consider normal. And I'm not talking Cayman "normal" - I'm talking GS-R normal. It's noticeably slower than my Integra.

If this car is gonna be driven in the mtns a lot that's another vote for a WRX with the turbocharged engine. I've ridden in an Impreza in the CO Rockies and it could barely move fast enough to get out of it's own way. Speaking for myself, I can't handle another car that slow.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a '15 SI in may and it's been a great car so far. For the amount of money you pay the interior is very good and the K24 has great mid range torque which makes driving around town very easy. My work commute is about 30 miles each way and I get about 32-33mpg also.

Now, I do wish the Si had more HP but 200HP is enough to pass ppl and still get you in trouble with the law very quickly and I already own a S2000 as a fun car so it was not too big of a deal.

You would have to just drive both cars and see which one you like better. I was like you in the same situation debating btwn the WRX and the SI as my DD.
The new wrx is great but it would have been like $5-6000 more than the SI and subaru didn't want to offer me 0.9% APR like Honda did, so in my situation it wasn't worth it for me. I'm also in SoCal so AWD isn't really a necessity down here
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

I'm used to a slow car... I drive my GF's Prius C whenever we're together, which has 99HP - it claims a 0-60 of 10.9s. Short of an H1 hummer, i don't think it gets much slower than that.

My s2k is too loud and uncomfortable for her with custom valved coilovers with 700 lbs. springs and hardened motor+transmission mounts. It's essentially turning more and more into a track car that is street legal.

Anyway, I'll just have to go out and test drive these cars.

Quick Reply: Current gen Civic Si or WRX?