Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Civic Si or WRX
Civic Si
25.00%
WRX
75.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Current gen Civic Si or WRX?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did have a 2013 SI as my DD, was totalled when someone ran a stop sign and I hit them at 45 MPH. I replaced it with a 2015 SI and the 2015 has some nice new features the 2013 did not. MSRP is about 23710 and I got it for 23K out the door including everything. Honda has $500 "owner loyalty" they give as a down payment so after that I was $22500 otd
Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I think i'm about to cut my balls off and neuter the wrx into a regular impreza 5door.

It'll be a dog, but it's way cheaper, there less stress on the ej-block based motor (as opposed to an unproven fa20-dit motor, which had problems in the frs/brz).

It actually gets better mpg than the civic si (22-31) vs (28-37). And, i'll have the awd i want. Plus, it'll be such a mundane car that i wouldn't think of modifying (which I'd inevitably do with both the Si and WRX).

No VWs, reliability is suspect, same with bmw - I know things that need to be done that BMW owners consider "maintenance items".

I think the NA EJ motor should be reliable, but not going to be as reliable as the k24.
The base Impreza has (as mentioned above) the FB motor. Not the EJ. And the FA20-DIT motor has been in production just as long as the FA20 (in the BRZ) and has fewer problems. The FA20's problem was Toyota's dual mode fuel injection system - the WRX doesn't suffer from this system.

The WRX will have better resale than the Civic. Go WRX.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also vote for an Impreza 5dr (hatch). Utility, awd, and available in a manual. Have you also considered the XV crosstrek? It is basically a lifted Impreza, so better clearance for snow. Only bad thing about the Impreza or Crosstrek vs a Civic Si is that it has a 5 speed instead of a 6. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

Thanks everyone for the the correction on the motor - I was searching for and came up with nothing (only wrx came up with FA20 based block), so I assumed it was still running on the old EJ.

That actually kind of makes me feel better having the FB over the EJ or the FA. I know the problem with the BRZ/FRS were the seals on the direct injectors, which would go bad due to timing changes when constantly adjusting throttle position (like you do when driving on the track).

I was looking at used SH-AWD TLs with 6-spd, but they only get 17-25 mpg on premium fuel - not exactly a DD. It would have been perfect otherwise - fell within budget, luxury, awd, manual, reliable, safe. The WRX isn't much better at 20-27, and also needing premium fuel. I'm gonna skip the Crosstrek, it's over stylized, and I don't need that much ground clearance. I live in SoCal... the snow I see is because i'm driving to it, and 90% of the time that's going to be Big Bear. I won't have to worry about more than 6" of snow max, and it will almost always be plowed.

I was dead set on the Si before I decided I should sell my truck. Si would have been a decent compromise between practical with some excitement. Now, I need the vehicle to be practical and have utility. I think an impreza 5door 2.0i sport premium fills all of the utility, practicality, and safety check boxes. It's getting redesigned for 2017 with a mid to late 2016 release. There's enough history on its reliability, and I should have bargaining power since the car isn't in demand...
Old 10-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

What's cheaper - lower efficiency or repairs on an "unreliable" vehicle?

How many miles do you drive a year? What's the difference between 21 mpg and 24 mpg average? I'll bet it's less than $500 a year.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my 8th gen civic si is rated for 21-28 I think and I just dont see that.. I get a pretty steady 28-30 with mixed driving.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Stay away from WRX unless you are leasing it. They age quickly. Can't go wrong with a Honda product in terms of quality for the money.
WRX has crazy high resale value so I don't understand what this comment means
Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' timestamp='1444742208' post='23774047
Stay away from WRX unless you are leasing it. They age quickly. Can't go wrong with a Honda product in terms of quality for the money.
They fall apart later on. Been there and done that, glad I turned it in (for new S2000) when I did. WRX is a gussied up econobox.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
What's cheaper - lower efficiency or repairs on an "unreliable" vehicle?

How many miles do you drive a year? What's the difference between 21 mpg and 24 mpg average? I'll bet it's less than $500 a year.
5 door impreza gets 28-37 vs 17-25. I'm not even considering a WRX anymore. It's just too impractical for me. It'll also be about a 20-30 cent difference per gallon due to basic 87 gas versus 91 (yes, that's the crap we get in SoCal).

I drive around 15-20K miles per year. It's more than $500 per year.

I also don't see an NA Subie that will see no modifications as an unreliable vehicle. I see plenty of older subies on the road, and they're usually all the non-turbo models.

Will it be as reliable as a honda? doubtful. That said, I've never used chains on my truck, and i've been caught in 15" of unplowed snow before. Of course I don't expect the subie to be able to do that (it'll turn into a snowplow with that depth), but i'm fairly certain it'll fair better than an Si. I also think the dog of an impreza will do better in snow vs. the wrx. Driving in those conditions isn't about power, it's about patience, smoothness, and a slight bit of finesse.

I'm probably going to go used on the impreza 5 door, which is looking like I can find for less than $18K easily.
$10k of savings compounded at a conservative average of 6% per year for the next 10+ years blows both the SH-AWD TL and the WRX out of the water, even with resale value. Combine that with the fuel savings (mpg and non-premium fuel), and it looks like a financial no brainer. I also won't consider a used WRX - not here. They're all modded or previously modded and returned to stock... That's a big no for that car.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:43 AM
IPB

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1444762071' post='23774402
[quote name='mosesbotbol' timestamp='1444742208' post='23774047']
They fall apart later on. Been there and done that, glad I turned it in (for new S2000) when I did. WRX is a gussied up econobox.
[/quote]
I would strongly disagree with this statement. I had 130k on my STi when I got rid of that with 0 issues, I had an 02 WRX wagon with about 160k on it, again with 0 issues, my wife had an 02 2.5RS with over 150k on it with 0 issues, we had an 05 LGT Limited we got rid of with just over 140k with 0 issues...My wife us currently driving a 11 LGT limited and we've had 0 issues with that... just trying to point out a trend here.

Subies are know for being very reliable and very safe. Not to mention resale as mentioned above.

Go with the WRX.

Quick Reply: Current gen Civic Si or WRX?