Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Civic Si or WRX
Civic Si
25.00%
WRX
75.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Current gen Civic Si or WRX?

Old 10-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 611 Likes on 426 Posts
Default Current gen Civic Si or WRX?

So, it looks like i might be selling my 1999 GMC Sierra with Z71 off-road package. I've had the vehicle brand new since high school.

I'm looking for a practical DD with some utility.

Of utmost importance to me is reliability and safety. The car must be manual. I have my s2000 as a fun car, so I'm willing to make some compromises in the "fun and engaging" department.

The budget is under $30K - mostly looking at new, but will consider used (though, not a used Subie... I don't trust the owners).

The vehicle will mostly be used as a DD, but will need to double as hobby vehicle to get me up to the mountains for snowboarding trips.

Does anyone know if any of the Acura models with their SH-AWD come in manual?

Essentially, what I want, is the reliability of the Honda, with the awd of the Subaru and in manual transmission. Suggestions are welcome - please keep them reasonable.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Used, I'd say an Acura TL SH-AWD would blow your socks off. Amazing vehicle, if you like how it looks, and it is possible to find in a manual. An older Golf R would also offer that package - no idea on reliability, though.

BMW makes a 3-Series with AWD and manual transmission. Again, reliability may be suspect - hard to say since everyone's experience varies.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea the TL SH-AWD was available with a 6 speed, great car from everything ive seen about them.

The WRX's are getting expensive.. But I really like how the latest ones look. Personally im suspect on their long term reliability.

The new gen civic si should be revealed shortly.. You may want to wait on that if you really like the civics.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 214 Likes on 147 Posts

awd over fwd every time.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd rather have the new WRX. Or maybe a used Evo X or current gen Golf R.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apples to oranges; the si is more for those that want a reliable daily/commuter that's slightly less boring than a regular model.

If you didn't already have an s2000, then I'd say WRX. Since you already have a toy, then I'd focus on utility and/or reliability.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 611 Likes on 426 Posts

I think i'm about to cut my balls off and neuter the wrx into a regular impreza 5door.

It'll be a dog, but it's way cheaper, there less stress on the ej-block based motor (as opposed to an unproven fa20-dit motor, which had problems in the frs/brz).

It actually gets better mpg than the civic si (22-31) vs (28-37). And, i'll have the awd i want. Plus, it'll be such a mundane car that i wouldn't think of modifying (which I'd inevitably do with both the Si and WRX).

No VWs, reliability is suspect, same with bmw - I know things that need to be done that BMW owners consider "maintenance items".

I think the NA EJ motor should be reliable, but not going to be as reliable as the k24.

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
If you didn't already have an s2000, then I'd say WRX. Since you already have a toy, then I'd focus on utility and/or reliability.
It will be a lot of utility.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used - mk6 golf R
New - gti over Si if you go FWD

I just leased a brand new Si (much better lease options over gti and wrx and I didn't need AWD) and it has treated me well. Very nice cabin for the $ IMO. It has been very enjoyable and gets around 30-33 mpg on the highway no problem. Should be able to get a smokin deal on one right now with the 16's around the corner.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I think i'm about to cut my balls off and neuter the wrx into a regular impreza 5door.

It'll be a dog, but it's way cheaper, there less stress on the ej-block based motor (as opposed to an unproven fa20-dit motor, which had problems in the frs/brz).

The current Imprezza is an FB... which is basically an FA that's not direct injected. The only one running the ol' EJ is the STI.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:16 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Stay away from WRX unless you are leasing it. They age quickly. Can't go wrong with a Honda product in terms of quality for the money.

Quick Reply: Current gen Civic Si or WRX?