Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

CTS-V test

Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steals the IS-F and M3 sedan's thunder
Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_NFR,Aug 26 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure how much bigger this is than C63....I've seen the current CTS a few times and it doesn't look much bigger than a C class to me.
Its slightly bigger, but not by much - about 2" in every direction interior-wise - the CTS is sized like the E Class and 5 Series.

Many people don't realize how small the E and 5 Series are - they're not much bigger than the C and 3 respectively, and a 3 actually has more rear headroom than a 5. I think Cadillac decided to have one car compete across the range rather than two by offering E Class/5 Series size at C Class/3 Series prices.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=versionJDM,Aug 27 2008, 07:10 AM] not to pick on you neg, but these MPGs comments in every thread are just rediculas.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT_NFR,Aug 27 2008, 02:42 AM
I'm not sure how much bigger this is than C63....I've seen the current CTS a few times and it doesn't look much bigger than a C class to me.
Just for reference :

Wheelbase :

C Class : 108.7 inches
E Class : 112.4 inches
CTS : 113.4 inches
5 Series : 113.7 inches

Overall Length

C Class : 186 inches
E Class : 191 inches
CTS : 191.6 inches
5 Series : 191.1 inches

Width :

C Class : 70.7 inches
E Class : 71.7 inches
CTS : 72.5 inches
5 Series : 72.7 inches

Rear Seat Legroom :

C Class : 33.4 inches
E Class : 35.6 inches
CTS : 35.9 inches
5 Series : 36 inches
Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg,Aug 27 2008, 09:10 PM
i love you
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Aug 27 2008, 07:10 AM
not to pick on you neg, but these MPGs comments in every thread are just rediculas.

:takesdeepbreathandpreparesforrant:

americans need to stop living paycheck to paycheck. 7 out 10 americans have more than 10k in CC debit, and live paycheck to paycheck. if joe blow would stop buying useless crap on credit, save some money out of each check, the price of gas wouldnt even be on the nightly news.

it costs me about $55 to fill up my m3 with 92, about the same for my TSX. we each use probably two tanks a month, so $55 x 4= $220. how many americans spend that a WEEKEND at the mall buying cloths, shoes and other crap they can afford. in the scheme of things $220 is THAT much money. $220 x 12months=$2600 a year on fuel. GAS isnt THAT expensive, sure its price too high, but thats all simple economics, and as a nation we've only brought "high" gas prices on ourselves.

and im no richie rich either, my wife and i make about 80K a year(together), not much at all, but we are able to buy nice things, live in a nice place(IMHO) and easily afford gas for our cars. you dont have to make 100k a year to live comfortable, you need to now how to budget and live in within your means.

/rant and good morning car talk crew!
I don't agree with you on everything, but AMEN brother!!!! Spending an extra $200-$400 on gas each year shouldn't be a national crisis IMO. I know this does some but as a whole we are tripping like a mofo. We as a nation live on debt and will be for a freaking long time. Too many are living on borrow money and buying stuff they can't afford unless they used credit to purchase and have no plan on paying it all back anytime soon. If Americans are so smart about money then WHY THE FU-CK IS SUZIE ORMAN ON TV MORE OFTEN EACH DAY THEN THE PRESIDENT, OPRAH AND THE POPE COMBINE?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Luckyaze,Aug 28 2008, 08:19 AM
I don't agree with you on everything, but AMEN brother!!!! Spending an extra $200-$400 on gas each year shouldn't be a national crisis IMO. I know this does some but as a whole we are tripping like a mofo. We as a nation live on debt and will be for a freaking long time. Too many are living on borrow money and buying stuff they can't afford unless they used credit to purchase and have no plan on paying it all back anytime soon. If Americans are so smart about money then WHY THE FU-CK IS SUZIE ORMAN ON TV MORE OFTEN EACH DAY THEN THE PRESIDENT, OPRAH AND THE POPE COMBINE?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Aug 27 2008, 10:10 AM
not to pick on you neg, but these MPGs comments in every thread are just rediculas.

:takesdeepbreathandpreparesforrant:

americans need to stop living paycheck to paycheck. 7 out 10 americans have more than 10k in CC debit, and live paycheck to paycheck. if joe blow would stop buying useless crap on credit, save some money out of each check, the price of gas wouldnt even be on the nightly news.

it costs me about $55 to fill up my m3 with 92, about the same for my TSX. we each use probably two tanks a month, so $55 x 4= $220. how many americans spend that a WEEKEND at the mall buying cloths, shoes and other crap they can afford. in the scheme of things $220 is THAT much money. $220 x 12months=$2600 a year on fuel. GAS isnt THAT expensive, sure its price too high, but thats all simple economics, and as a nation we've only brought "high" gas prices on ourselves.

and im no richie rich either, my wife and i make about 80K a year(together), not much at all, but we are able to buy nice things, live in a nice place(IMHO) and easily afford gas for our cars. you dont have to make 100k a year to live comfortable, you need to now how to budget and live in within your means.

/rant and good morning car talk crew!
word
Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This is one of the most apealing GM products in ages. It has the performance of a 4 door corvette and the style and quality of a cadillac....but wait, what is the quality like? you get quantity in the features and engine/drivetrain, it is not a bad lookiing package.

How will it hold up, how do the 4 year old CTSV cars do after say 50,000 miles? I expect not pretty.

Then we have Pontiac with the G8, less hp and not as bling bling, but way less $$.

Then we have 14 mpg to live with. I love that V8 sound, performance, but not the cost of upkeep and the quality.

I have driven two of these on GM driving events I have attended. I still have a soft spot for the experience, it was fun, but the gearbox was crap on the ones I drove,perhaps the new ones are better...then there is the fit and finish and durability that GM has offered consistantly over the years/decades, not great.

I would consider one that was 2 years old, no supercharger, and hughly depreciated ...with the newer gearbox, and then after all the Acura TL 6 speeds have been purchased and this CTS V is the only fun 4 door left.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev,Aug 28 2008, 04:47 PM
This is one of the most apealing GM products in ages. It has the performance of a 4 door corvette and the style and quality of a cadillac....but wait, what is the quality like? you get quantity in the features and engine/drivetrain, it is not a bad lookiing package.

How will it hold up, how do the 4 year old CTSV cars do after say 50,000 miles? I expect not pretty.

Then we have Pontiac with the G8, less hp and not as bling bling, but way less $$.

Then we have 14 mpg to live with. I love that V8 sound, performance, but not the cost of upkeep and the quality.

I have driven two of these on GM driving events I have attended. I still have a soft spot for the experience, it was fun, but the gearbox was crap on the ones I drove,perhaps the new ones are better...then there is the fit and finish and durability that GM has offered consistantly over the years/decades, not great.

I would consider one that was 2 years old, no supercharger, and hughly depreciated ...with the newer gearbox, and then after all the Acura TL 6 speeds have been purchased and this CTS V is the only fun 4 door left.
Wow, even mentioning a TL here is ridiculous imo - its not in this league.

Quick Reply: CTS-V test