Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

CTS-V challenge results

Old 10-31-2009, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the point of this exercise was to show people that if track performance is important in your buying decision, then Cadillac is competitive with the best. You may choose to buy something else, but logically, performance shouldn't be the reason.

In every comparison test that I've seen the Cadillac has equaled or surpassed the performance of the cars it's been pitted against.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM baby
GM baby..
i had always loved those old school muscle cars .. but the way they looked in the past few years looks really ugly..
But . time changed ,they finally knows how to make a car people like and will buy...
my next car it's GM..
camero SS...
or a used ZR1 in the future..
Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpudRacer,Oct 30 2009, 07:10 PM
Wow, that 30 second window for the CTS - V with different drivers is amazing.

I mean 10 seconds, OK but 30?
That doesn't surprise me, actually -- sounds about right for the difference between a pro-caliber driver like Heinricy and someone with little track experience, in an unfamiliar car, on an unfamiliar track.

It's not a completely apples-to-apples comparison, but at our local autocrosses, top time of day in a Stock-class car is typically close to 20% faster (equivalent to 30+ seconds for a lap as long as discussed here) than the midpack drivers, who are typically people who've been autocrossing for a while and have somewhat prepped cars -- people who drive better than most people who have never autocrossed or been on a track.

The difference between the fastest and slowest Spec Miata qualifiers (who were driving cars much more similar than a CTS-V and an M3) at this year's SCCA club racing national championships was eleven seconds on a 2:45 lap, and those were people who had to qualify by doing well in multiple national-level races.

That's why all the fixation about which car pips another on the Nurburgring by two seconds is kind of silly -- 98% of the drivers wouldn't be able to turn a 'Ring time within a minute of the ones you read about even in the same car. No matter how good you think you are, it's humbling the first time you come up against a good national-level driver (let alone someone like Heinricy) and invariably get crushed.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Oct 31 2009, 06:50 AM
That doesn't surprise me, actually -- sounds about right for the difference between a pro-caliber driver like Heinricy and someone with little track experience, in an unfamiliar car, on an unfamiliar track.

It's not a completely apples-to-apples comparison, but at our local autocrosses, top time of day in a Stock-class car is typically close to 20% faster (equivalent to 30+ seconds for a lap as long as discussed here) than the midpack drivers, who are typically people who've been autocrossing for a while and have somewhat prepped cars -- people who drive better than most people who have never autocrossed or been on a track.

The difference between the fastest and slowest Spec Miata qualifiers (who were driving cars much more similar than a CTS-V and an M3) at this year's SCCA club racing national championships was eleven seconds on a 2:45 lap, and those were people who had to qualify by doing well in multiple national-level races.

That's why all the fixation about which car pips another on the Nurburgring by two seconds is kind of silly -- 98% of the drivers wouldn't be able to turn a 'Ring time within a minute of the ones you read about even in the same car. No matter how good you think you are, it's humbling the first time you come up against a good national-level driver (let alone someone like Heinricy) and invariably get crushed.
I was only referring to the CTS-V's not M3's or any of the other cars. Identical OEM spec car in each case for all practical purposes, no? In the OP's list #1 Heinricy = 2:46:56 and #10 Chris Fairman = 3:14:29. It's actually not quite 30 seconds. More like 27 and 1/4. But still, same car, same track, same day, same time.....that's a huge disparity in drivers fer sure. About 14%. Say that Heinricy's average speed was 100mph. That means Fairman's average speed would have been 86mph. Or 50 vs 43. Wonder who Chris Fairman was.

Fully agree on "Ring Times". Utterly irrelevant for mere humans like me. The "best car in the world" will not produce a ring record in my hands.....ever. Just like the most expensive golf clubs will not make me play like Tiger Woods.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I get what you're saying. It sounds like you're surprised, and I'm not, but that we're both agreeing that the driver is a much bigger variable than the car until you start getting into fairly experienced, talented drivers.