Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

CRX/Del Sol or Integra Type R in Snow

Old 08-01-2002, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX/Del Sol or Integra Type R in Snow

We get lots of snow in the winter in Luxembourg (had one month solid snow last year and it reached -17) and I don't want to drive my S2000 in that!

I'm thinking of getting a CRX (or Integra Type R if the budget can stretch) for the winter. Anyone driven the Integra Type R or the CRX in the snow?
Old 08-01-2002, 08:25 AM

I driven my del sol in snow last December... wasn't bad at all!
Old 08-01-2002, 02:47 PM

I drove my del Sol through three midwestern US winters (similar to your winters but colder). It did OK. Just like the S2000, you sit very low, so if you get hit it could get ugly. OTOH the crash rating on the del Sol are good.

When the slush or snow was deeper than about 8 cm it began to get tricky. I'd say most of the problem lies with the tires. The stock Bridgestone RE92 tires are a poor excuse for a winter tire. I'm a huge fan of running RMA "Snowflake on the Moutain" rated tires in the winter. I never mounted true winter tires on the del Sol, but I imagine it would be a lot more safe (and fun) with some Dunlop Wintersport M2/M3 or Nokian NRWs mounted.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:24 PM

I think CRX might be too light to drive on the snow! I used to own a 87 CRX Si while I was living in Asheville, NC. My front tires were spinning on top to the snow and not really moving anywere! May be snow tires would have helped? But back in the 87, there weren't that many choices on the wheel tire combo.

BTW, I'm talking about at least 3 inches to a foot of snow, not just a sheet of snow on the highway.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:27 PM

all 3 should perform ok in the snow since they are all FWD. Slap some nice snow tires on there, and you'll be good to go.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:59 PM

Received 4,251 Likes on 3,308 Posts

I had an 86 CRX that I used for one winter season and it worked well. I had snows on it and I only got stuck once (I work on a ski mountain) The clearance is the only problem I saw and if studded tires are legal for you they are the way to go.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:04 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I would suggest a CRX or Del-Sol. They're cheaper and they'll handle about as well as the Type-R in snow. Get slightly narrower winter tires and you'll be set.

They are all pretty much about the same height, so it doesn't really matter.

Weight does help in general, but you don't seem to get TOO much snow so you should be fine in any of them.

The Type-R is a waste of a car to drive in snow - it needs warmer temperatures and real (performance) tires to be fully appreciated. The other two cars are great fun (I've driven them) and they're cheaper, too. Why waste money on a Type-R that won't be properly appreciated?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my '87 CRX-Si in the snow for two years and my '90 CRX-Si in the snow for one year. I always had 4 snow tires on the cars to give myself as much grip as possible.

Here is how I would sum up the CRX. Traction was no problem, weight over the drive tires made for good going. Stopping was a major problem! With only 2,000 pounds the CRX would not get the grip it needed and it took forever to slow down. Brakes were great and tires were single purpose snow tires, not some all-season crap. The car was just too light weight.

Now I drive a 4x4 pickup, and love it!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 04:57 AM

The weight isn't as important as the weight per width of contact patch.

When I went back to college I had a Ford Festiva. I worked 2nd shift in a town 60 miles away, commuting 600 miles/week in all weather. The Festiva weighed 1800lb wet, but had P165SR-12 all season tires. Other than an AWD Subaru I've never had a better snow car! The thing was unstoppable!

Before that I had a 90 Mitsubishi Eclipse with Goodyear GT+4. FWD, yes, but I've never had a more scary winter car. Again, the differences were primarily the width and compound of the tires.

Basically, for winter you need to think backwards from summer performance:
Narrow is better.
Sipes are good.
Soft squidgy rubber is better.
Noisy tires are common.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:05 AM

Hmmm....

Think I'm going for the CRX with a set of Winter rubber (or maybe ski's!).

Quick Reply: CRX/Del Sol or Integra Type R in Snow