Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Crazy Car Games: Pandemic Edition

Old 02-18-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Fixed that for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have these problems.

Complaining about garage space when most people are struggling to buy a house after crazy 20%+ year over year housing price increases.
Never said it was a problem. Never complained either.

Once you have the cash it's the same thing as keeping it in a bank account or in a car (actually better bc inflation is a bitch).
I'm only buying cars I think will hold or appreciate. My bet is anything decently fun ICE with a manual or a big motor will appreciate long term.
I consider it a diversification of my investments that are fun lol
Old 02-18-2022, 12:05 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88
I put my credit card down in April last year for a place in the queue for a C8 Z06 at msrp. I expect years of waiting, and hopefully I can get a car before the production run ends.

I’ve been contacting SoCal dealers over the past week to custom order a M3 Competition xDrive. Markups coming back at $5-10k. Not willing to pay that at the moment, so still searching.
if you are willing to wait, I can get you one in CT. My partner just got one for msrp.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:32 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Never said it was a problem. Never complained either.

Once you have the cash it's the same thing as keeping it in a bank account or in a car (actually better bc inflation is a bitch).
I'm only buying cars I think will hold or appreciate. My bet is anything decently fun ICE with a manual or a big motor will appreciate long term.
I consider it a diversification of my investments that are fun lol
Agreed on all of that. The comment wasn't meant for you.

I'm just correcting Jeff in the sentiment of calling not having enough garage space a "first world" problem.

Right now for 80%+ of the population, a "first world" problem in the country is housing, education, healthcare, and livable wages.... almost makes it sound like a "third world"

I'm fortunate enough to not have "first world" problems. But not fortunate enough to have "rich people" problems...
The following users liked this post:
s.hasan546 (02-18-2022)
Old 06-13-2023, 10:28 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
So, when I lucked out by keying in my information faster than I ever have before the second the reservation window opened for the Blackwing and got one of the 250 reservation cars, I've been kind of hooked on the thrill of reservations as most of them are refundable and nominal amounts ($100 or so), so very little commitment. Plus, with the way the car market is currently, it's never a bad option to have a reservation on a potentially hot commodity that could likely be flipped if you don't want it.

Below are the current reservations I have out there with no ability offered to date on ordering it:

1. Ford Lightning (should be able to order soon as I had placed reservation within a few minute of the window opening)
2. Hummer EV SUV Edition 1 (maybe later this fall? not sure on this and not super worried about it)
3. Tesla Tri-Motor Cybertruck (who knows as Tesla keeps pushing production dates out)

Below is a vehicle with a reservation that I have been requested to submit a spec:

1. 2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate (potential strategy with this one below)

Below are cars I am #2 on the list (but no official reservation offered on these vehicles from GM) at reputable dealerships at MSRP with decent volume so maybe able to see both of these vehicles this year:

1. C8 Z06
2. Escalade V

Below are cars I have requested at the dealer, but no commitments or promises (meaning likely I'm screwed):

1. 992 GT3
2. Cayman GT4 RS
3. 992 GTS Coupe (much more likely to get this one than the other 2, but no promises yet)

Below is vehicle I can likely spec here soon (in current contact with dealer) and get sometime this year:

1. Lexus LX600 (for wife to replace LX570)

Below is car that is ordered and I should receive within a few months:

1. 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited six-speed manual

So, on the GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate, I reserved this on the GMC website and used the same dealer where I am #2 on his C8 Z06 list. So, when he asked me to spec the Denali a few weeks back, I gave him a very solid spec that should be highly desirable. When it comes in, I'm going to ask him what he wants to do with it as I can take delivery of it (likely trade or sell my Raptor separately), or I can let him flip it used (somehow) at a premium as a thank you of sorts for making sure I get my C8 Z06. Basically, it'll be a reservation truck that he could sell "used" at a premium (they only sell at MSRP on new units, but used is "market" price). Figured that might get more some more goodwill with him. Either way, I'm fine with taking it or letting him have it if he prefers, but I'll want more written assurances that I'm a hard #2 on his C8 Z06 list. I trust them, but I know the market/demand for the Z06 is totally insane, so I'm nervous. Plus, if I take delivery and immediately sell back to him, I'll have a tax credit to use towards the C8 Z06 that will help ensure me getting it as I'll write that into the tax credit agreement.

But, as nice as the '22 Sierra Denali is supposed to be (way nice interior, Super Cruise, fancy everything), I don't think I'll have it long as I'd rather daily the Silverado EV or the Ford Lightning. I'm unlikely to move forward with the Hummer, but who knows, wife may want it or I can try to flip, etc.

Anyway, crazy times with car stuff and definitely strong arbitrage opportunities out there for now on desirable models.
So, update on my post from last year:

1. Lightning - bought it, drove it a few months, sold it for a small loss earlier this year as I had a TRX come in too and thought it was the better truck to have the next few years. Lightning was fine, but it's a 1st gen truck with a sucky charging infrastructure. Charging at home was painless though and truck did drive nice and was quick.

2. Hummer is coming this summer apparently. Should be a great truck and if I don't like it, it will be a flip potential for sure.

3. Sierra Denali Ultimate: didn't take delivery as it didn't have super cruise (was supposed to be standard on the Ultimate) and I just wasn't feeling it.

4. Escalade V: got that one, drove it for 7 months, and sold for a small profit. Crazy SUV, crazy sound, but felt a little disjointed like the powertrain was a bit much for the luxury cruiser SUV. Still very cool and wouldn't mind another down the road if pricing stabilizes.

5. 992 GTS Coupe - did get that and love it. Still have it. Wouldn't mind trading for a 992.2 GT3, but that's gonna be a while, but my dealer is interested in discussing further when they know more.

6. Subaru BRZ: Still have that and it's awesome for what it is. Ran a 2:42 at COTA with just tires, camber, brake pads, and brake fluid. It's a very capable car and very fun.

7. Lexus LX600: it showed up yesterday, but I decided not to take delivery. Wife got a Tesla Model Y and reviews haven't been stellar on the LX600. It's a very nice machine, but didn't want to have nearly $120k wrapped up in something that wasn't exciting to me.

8. C8 Z06: not really interested much anymore. It's heavy and awesome, but meh....Maybe the ZR1?

That's it for the roughly 18 month update.
The following 3 users liked this post by QUIKAG:
Bullwings (06-13-2023), rwheelz (06-13-2023), s.hasan546 (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:56 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Are any of them as fun to drive as the ZR1?
Old 06-14-2023, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Are any of them as fun to drive as the ZR1?
Nope. The BRZ is close, but that's about it.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Surprised you had to take even a small loss on the Lightning. Too many out there or you just wanted it off your driveway?
Old 06-14-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

When I look at prices of alot of these cars, it's nuts to think the Escalade and LX are six figure vehicles now. For me anyway it takes away alot of the shine, like you said about the LX, having that much money tied up in it sorta saps the enjoyment out of it. Granted though, a high quality vehicle, but you know there's a ton of margin built into it, or <ahem> inflation.

Shocker, of all the cars you kept from that list, all small relatively lightweight rwd cars. Hard to beat that recipe.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by erik
Surprised you had to take even a small loss on the Lightning. Too many out there or you just wanted it off your driveway?
It really was a very nice truck, smooth, quick, well-made, but I wanted to keep the TRX as it was more fun and I figured it would hold value long-term. So, the used market on Lightnings is weird because you aren't eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit, they had that fire issue (that was isolated, but tarnished the brand), and Ford is already talking up the next-gen model that will be a ground-up EV. In short, the Lariat and Platinum Lightnings in particular are not going to hold good long-term used value. The XLT's will be okay as they barely scrape under the $80k MSRP cap for the tax credit. At $72,500ish (after tax credit) for a long range XLT Lightning....that's a pretty solid value.

Also, charging infrastructure for road trips on non-Tesla's EV's still basically sucks. I only charged the Lightning at home for the 2 months I had it and it did great there. I wouldn't have tried to road trip it. Too much hassle.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:12 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Nope. The BRZ is close, but that's about it.
High praise for the BRZ, especially considering that you also currently own a 992 GTS Coupe.

Quick Reply: Crazy Car Games: Pandemic Edition