Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The CR-Z dilemma

Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The CR-Z dilemma

When the CR-Z concept came out, everybody was CRAZY about it! The way it looked, and the speculative specifications it may have (K20?).

When pictures of the production version came out, everybody didn't like it since a lot of physical changes were made to make it street legal. To make things worse, the production specs were not too flattering, including the price and green-ness.

Recently, people from the car press have been able to test drive the production version of this "abomination," and it appears that it has gotten almost all good reviews.

I can admit that I was among those who truly believed this car would be a sure failure, but this thing is selling like hotcakes like Japan (with their smaller motor) and there are so many positive reviews on this car.

So what do you guys think about the reviews? Would you guys consider test driving it? Or do you think the reviews are all rubbish? Do you guys still think it will be a failure in consideration of the average American (excluding those who frequent car forums)?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 PM

A lot of japanese base cars do sell pretty well in japan, but once it hits US shores it floops. Most recent would be the 2nd gen Insight, i believe in general Honda does make great cars but if you factor in competition when dealing with price and value we have a large margin to choose from here in the states and elsewhere in the world. The cr-z is trying to be too much different things and not a master at either of them. To some that might just be the vehicle they want, but its such a small market for a 2 seater eco sporty hybrid with a price of around 20k, that is why i also believe the cr-z has a high chance of flooping i would like to see it rise if it did have at least a high 100'sHP engine that rev'd like true honda's due. But with the current environmental atmosphere, i believe a lot of things from honda will be a loter greener from now on, then in the past.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totally different markets. The biggest problem is bang for buck performance - it just doesn't make sense.

Japanese people (I'm generalizing of course) loves to jump on the latest trends, they love conformity. So if it's deemed that the new CRZ is where it's at, people will jump on it like hotcakes.

Really the only thing I like about the CRZ is maybe the dash... maybe.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Actually Japanese folks don't love conformity when it comes to their personal life. They will conform to societal standards like in a work environment and such, but recent generations have exhibited and urge to express themselves and will stop at no cost to do so. Just walk around tokyo for 5 minutes and look at people's style. Problem with all this is that just like the individualists of america, they all fall victim to trends. Fashion is just an attempt to express oneself, which ironically typically leads to people conforming to the latest fashions or trends, lol.
Also, driving in japan is like driving in any metropolitan area to the nth degree, theres very few places you can let an engine sing, however theres no shortage of mountain roads filled with curves and no shortage of demands for small nimble cars to dart around town.
Also, small cars in general sell very well in japan, jsut like how suvs did here in america.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM

It seems like a nice car. I like the way it looks, the reviews on how it drives are nice, etc., etc. However, ~$20k is a lot of coin for a car that isn't spectacular is any single way. It seems good enough all around until you get to its price. If it was about ~$5k cheaper, I'd be interested.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 PM

I think this car will be a hit . Just not sure whether it will be a minor or major hit. The reason I say this is look at the Prius . It looks like an egg and most people says it drives like an appliance. However all these eco conscious folks jumped on the bandwagon for this thing like it is gonna save the planet or something. Because this has been a hit Honda wants a piece of the pie with a more fun to drive package and hopefully better styling. With the 2 door they are going after the younger eco conscious buyer that just has to have a hybrid.
To me this is just another extension of the Prius niche and with the 2 door and manual transmission available it makes sense to me as to why they think this will work.
However it is a shame that they seemed to have turned its back on the enthusiast market .
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

All we have seen so far is the previews, which are generally always positive. Wait for the head to head reviews to get a true idea of the car. Even better, wait until you get your own opportunity to drive it, and then you'll really know.

My biggest issue is how the car steps on the toes of a number of other Hondas. I think it's popularity will peter out, and given what Honda has been doing with its other vehicles, it will go too long between refreshes, assuming it gets one at all.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I think it's a fail.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 AM

I don't see it doing well. This is like a more expensive uglier RSX Type-S. I thought the RSX would do well and it didn't. Why in the world would this new car sell anything? I could see the aftermarket and used cars going crazy after about 5 years though.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

The RSX didn't do well b/c its a stubby and stocky looking ugly car with a suspension design inferior to its predecessor.

Quick Reply: The CR-Z dilemma