Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Costco Gas: Clean Power Additive

Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Costco Gas: Clean Power Additive

http://shop.costco.com/en/In-The-War...Locations.aspx

Although I've been a Costco member for who knows how long, I have always bought my gas at Top Tier stations, and passed on Costco. Based on talking with their staff, they focus on good filtration, so the same fungible fuel goes there as any old station.

Lately, Costco have been renovating their stations here in Arizona with extra fill tanks for their Clean Power branded additive. They claim "5x" the EPA detergent minimums.

Curious, I switched usage about 3 months ago to Costco Gas with their additive blend, on my Fit and Turbo'd RDX (and now my new s2k). Will await longer term results, but for now I don't see any perceived difference within the same octane rating.

Been a walking billboard for Chevron for many years. Wondering if others have been using Costco's new blend and thoughts/opionions.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

All gas is purchased from the same local source. That said, some companies put in additives and what not, and some companies have bad reps for "watering" down their gas. But yeah, anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
All gas is purchased from the same local source. That said, some companies put in additives and what not, and some companies have bad reps for "watering" down their gas. But yeah, anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.
No your right for the most part. The funny thing is it all depends on your area. In some areas ALL gas is the same b.c certain distributors bought the rights for that area. So regardless of the company it's the same gas. A lot of the "top tier" crap is just marketing. Also a lot of those "research" companies that do these studies are funded by those individual gas companies.

BJ's and Costco (depends on the area) buy gas @ a type of auction. They put out a purchase order and let people bid. They get sell their contracts to save a penny b.c of the volume they do. But don't take that as them having shitty gas. They are fine for 99.9% of vehicles. S2000s aren't special either. Unless your boosted; etc, you shouldn't worry about where you get gas IMHO.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

costco gas stations usually have LONG lines. i m chevron only guy. i think i will just stick with chevron unless i got another crappy DD then i really wouldn't care which gas i put.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madkimchi
costco gas stations usually have LONG lines. i m chevron only guy. i think i will just stick with chevron unless i got another crappy DD then i really wouldn't care which gas i put.
That's a good point on the long lines. I usually hit the lines with the pump on the right side of the car (EU style). Less people and no problem reaching the gas cap on the s2k.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by madkimchi
chevron gas is no better than any other gas. I avoid costco/bjs only b.c 30 minutes of my times is worth more than the $1-2 i might "save".
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by madkimchi' timestamp='1342761877' post='21874706
chevron gas is no better than any other gas. I avoid costco/bjs only b.c 30 minutes of my times is worth more than the $1-2 i might "save".
i never said chevron is a better than any other gas. i know most of gas in my area comes from one may be two sources. it's just additives they put in are different for each brand. but like you said 30 min of my time is not worth saving $1-2. and not to mention costco gas station for me is out of the way but i pass like 2-3 chevrons on my way home.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 AM

What does "watering down" mean, really? Useless additives?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey
What does "watering down" mean, really? Useless additives?
No, it literally means diluting the gas with H2O to squeeze out profits.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

You're kidding, right? You actually think people are adding water to their gasoline?

Quick Reply: Costco Gas: Clean Power Additive