Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are Corvettes Only for Old Farts?

Old 08-10-2002, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some old guys are cool though.

I have met many at track events.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:23 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the 1st of my 3 Corvettes when I was 24 years old 21 years ago. The new Vette's are the best ever built and it's a shame for young people to be so hung up on image that they're missing out on a great sportscar. The ZO6 is a friggin awesome car. I went with the S2000 because I like the smaller car and it's what I wanted to autocross. Yeah old people buy them but that doesn't make them bad.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:55 PM

If the ZO6 had a nice interior and was in my budget, I woulda bought it instead of the S2000.

Old 08-11-2002, 04:51 AM

The closet I ever came to owning a Corvette was around 1973 I came close to buying a 1966 convertible 327-375 hp. But I thought the $1700 asking price was TOO STEEP!! With the body style change in 1968, then ever tightening emission regulations Corvettes no longer interested me. They rattled way too much and I just didn't care for the styling. But with the introduction of the C5 in 1997 my interest has returned, they still carry a reputation as an oil spewing temperamental bitch but my #1 gripe which was fit and finish aka, rattles, had been mostly remedied. That said I still think 90% of owners are from the gold chain set, former mullet heads that have gone a little thin on top.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:40 AM

This point about the poor interior seems to come up fairly often. After seeing and sitting in both, I can't seem to figure out what is worse about the C5 interior than say... an S2000 (or a dozen other sports cars). So either this is "magazine knowledge", crap, or a failure of my asthetic sense. Since the latter is always -- and often -- a possibility can someone please provide some specific indication of how the C5 interior is worse than ours? What makes the S2000s better?

I just can't imagine why anyone with any concern for amenities would choose the S2000: a completely de-contented car with perhaps the worst automotive leather in production and certainly the worst radio. It has a clicking intermittent wiper, poor carpets, sometimes odd rattles, and hard plastics. It lacks storage and ergonomics for what storage it has. In fact it's pretty econobox. So why would anyone who owned it care about interiors?
Old 08-11-2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by jschmidt
This point about the poor interior seems to come up fairly often. After seeing and sitting in both, I can't seem to figure out what is worse about the C5 interior than say... an S2000 (or a dozen other sports cars). So either this is "magazine knowledge", crap, or a failure of my asthetic sense. Since the latter is always -- and often -- a possibility can someone please provide some specific indication of how the C5 interior is worse than ours? What makes the S2000s better?

I just can't imagine why anyone with any concern for amenities would choose the S2000: a completely de-contented car with perhaps the worst automotive leather in production and certainly the worst radio. It has a clicking intermittent wiper, poor carpets, sometimes odd rattles, and hard plastics. It lacks storage and ergonomics for what storage it has. In fact it's pretty econobox. So why would anyone who owned it care about interiors?
Amen to that jschmidt...As per my sig, I went from an S to a Zo6 an dI actually find the interior of the vette to be of higher quality and overall a much nicer place to spend time.

The radio while not great blows away the S2k's.

The leather while not the best, looks and feels better than the S.

There is enough storage for my needs, and I can access it without pulling some muscle, that I didn't even know I had

I have not heard one rattle yet...can't say the same for my S.

Still miss the S though...miss it every day
Old 08-11-2002, 08:25 AM

<--- Not old fart (poor choice of terms, by the way )

26, can't afford the Z, but I got it anyway

Wanted a vette all my conscious life
Old 08-11-2002, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares what the demographics are for a particular car? IMO, choosing a car based on what others your age/race/sex, etc. like is pretty shallow. Buy the car that works best for YOU...to rule out the C5 or other cars based on their image could cause you to miss out on some pretty good experiences.

FWIW, I'm 36 and love the C5. I've loved Vettes ever since my dad had a '68 or '69 convertible. The C5 is the only gen. that I'd seriously consider buying, and the upcoming C6 should be pretty exciting as well.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:50 AM

Hey Argetni, how much are you paying in insurance on the car? Is it in your name? The reason I ask is I am 29, live in Essex County NJ and was quoted $8,000/yr for a C5!!! That was just too nutty.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:35 AM

26, Married
Passaic County
300/100/100
3 not at faults
State Farm

$2748.00

Paid the same for a civic SI 4 years ago

Quick Reply: Are Corvettes Only for Old Farts?