Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Corvette XZora will make 1,226 hp.

Old 08-20-2024, 11:03 AM

Received 425 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
There is already a modern NSX and it looks quite a bit better than a C8, in my opinion. I find the C8 looks better in person than it does in pictures but it definitely has some awkward details and angles. I think the Z06 looks the best of all.

I do wish the NSX had the C8 drivetrain(s), if only for the sake of simplicity. The latest NSX is awesome to drive and it's an everyday supercar, but it needs a little more "flash" and emotion to truly make it special. It's very quick, very capable, very comfortable, and very nice to look at but it's lacking the emotional element of sound (in particular) that is needed for a car at this price point.
I really like the look of the C8, but I might be biased. Of course, there's a few overwrought details, cut corners, but what else is new with GM? Overall, i think they did a nice job. I still remember looking closely at a Lambo Aventador several years ago at a car show and was shocked to find the lower grille inserts were all plastic. A $400k+ car and it was cheapish looking black plastic. I think the side intakes were also black plastic too. I couldn't believe they couldn't do better for that money.

So, all in all, I'm quite happy overall with the quality of the C8, especially at the $70kish price point I paid for my 1LT Z51 '24.
Old 08-20-2024, 12:09 PM

Received 518 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
There is already a modern NSX and it looks quite a bit better than a C8, in my opinion. I find the C8 looks better in person than it does in pictures but it definitely has some awkward details and angles. I think the Z06 looks the best of all.

I do wish the NSX had the C8 drivetrain(s), if only for the sake of simplicity. The latest NSX is awesome to drive and it's an everyday supercar, but it needs a little more "flash" and emotion to truly make it special. It's very quick, very capable, very comfortable, and very nice to look at but it's lacking the emotional element of sound (in particular) that is needed for a car at this price point.
The latest NSX is not bad looking, frankly it's pretty hard to screw up a look when you're allowed to work with the proportions exotics are afforded, but it's definitely restrained and forgetable. Not going to argue that the C8 looks better, but my point was that for anyone who is saying it looks cheap/ugly, I'd say that had it had a different badge those same people would be singing a different tune.

I wish the NSX came with just a MR ICE 6MT config, then it'd be perfect. Seriously, just drop the hybrid drivetrain, give it a manual, and spend every last effort to making it sound remotely good and I think it'd be a winner, and the kicker is that they might even be able to charge the same amount of money. The whole appeal of the original NSX is that you get an exotic that doesn't give you the headaches or concerns.

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I really like the look of the C8, but I might be biased. Of course, there's a few overwrought details, cut corners, but what else is new with GM? Overall, i think they did a nice job. I still remember looking closely at a Lambo Aventador several years ago at a car show and was shocked to find the lower grille inserts were all plastic. A $400k+ car and it was cheapish looking black plastic. I think the side intakes were also black plastic too. I couldn't believe they couldn't do better for that money.

So, all in all, I'm quite happy overall with the quality of the C8, especially at the $70kish price point I paid for my 1LT Z51 '24.
Lol, I sorta have the same discussion about the VB WRX with its cladding, when Porsche calls it Safari, or Lambo calls it Dakar, oh it's soooo cool. But when Subaru does it on a budget level, booooo. Yeah I know it's a stretch, but back to your Lambo example, I find when I pour over the Italian exotics, it is very much a meeting your heroes moment in that you see all the worts. Like you build them up in your mind and then find oh the window switches are normal, oh the font/printing on the stalks are pretty agricultural, etc etc. As I get older, I now see why cars like the AMG GT can coexist in that market because it's built to higher level of refinement. I think that's why I geek out so much on Koeniseggs and Paganis. The one thing the Italians have always done well though is making cars sound incredible. Like the Fiat 500 Abarth, it frustrates me to no end that Fiat managed to make that thing sound amazing and that absolutely no one else including Porsche even comes close to making a modern, non carbed/ITBed 4 banger sound that good.
Old 08-21-2024, 12:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Modern "automatic" transmissions combined with huge horsepower can produce some great statistics.

Stick shifts even with nannies require more skill and involvement and are more fun.

Isnt fun the point?
Old 08-21-2024, 01:51 PM

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
Modern "automatic" transmissions combined with huge horsepower can produce some great statistics.

Stick shifts even with nannies require more skill and involvement and are more fun.

Isnt fun the point?
Nah, 0-60 and 1/4 metrics is the point, and quoting lap times, on the internet. Meanwhile the car will never see a corner in anger in its life unless you count going sideways out of a Cars and Festerment hood up meet
Think about it. Making coffee, manually, is so easy and effortless, yet many idle in the the Starbucks line every weekday morning. It’s the world we have to live in today
Old 08-23-2024, 04:06 PM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Nah, 0-60 and 1/4 metrics is the point, and quoting lap times, on the internet. Meanwhile the car will never see a corner in anger in its life unless you count going sideways out of a Cars and Festerment hood up meet
Think about it. Making coffee, manually, is so easy and effortless, yet many idle in the the Starbucks line every weekday morning. It’s the world we have to live in today
Off topic but coffee shops are about someone being nice to you for 2 minutes a day in an unfriendly world, buying something to maintain relevance in society and treating yourself.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:52 PM

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
Off topic but coffee shops are about someone being nice to you for 2 minutes a day in an unfriendly world, buying something to maintain relevance in society and treating yourself.
I “treat” myself to Hawaiian grown coffee every morning for way less than what *f’s cost. Place is a joke. Now if you got a local ma and pop coffee shop in the neighborhood where you live, I get that 100p. But once it’s some corporate chain bullshit, you lose me. I treat myself every day eating as clean as I can, lifting every weekday night and maintaining my health. If you need *f’s, or the like, to maintain relevance in society, I think the money would be better spent on a critical thinking 101 course at some uni, or a shrink. YMMV.