Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Corvette XZora will make 1,226 hp.

Old 08-01-2024, 08:55 AM

Received 280 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
That said, I do think the Corvette team was going for a sophisticated more cutting edge car with the C8 at a certain price point (don't forget it based just over $60k when it came out which is unreal for a mid-engine borderline supercar with a targa top, etc.), so they had to make concessions on things. Also, I've read (could be BS engineer talk) that fitting a manual was too complicated with the chassis/mid-engine configuration with the space constraints, etc. and even if they did, the geometry of the shifter linkage/cables would have made the shift action/feel not that good since it wouldn't have been able to be a direct connection.

I mean yes technically, but the $59,995 C8 was basically a mythical creature. Impossible to order and I don't think anyone actually took delivery of one. From the get go I didn't see anything below $75k-80k and I think one would be hard pressed to find a used C8 for sale, now, for below $60k (barring any 6 figure mileage examples).

GM made the decision from the START to not offer a manual transmission in the C8. The ground up mid-engine chassis has a bulkhead that makes it physically impossible for a shift linkage to pass through from cockpit to engine bay. One can argue, as you say, that they also didn't consider it because of geometry and resultant shift feel. Perhaps, but perhaps not. The Cayman GT4's shifter feel is phenomenal, and it's cable actuated.

Salt in the wound is the C8 Corvette resulted in C7 Corvette prices INCREASING. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
shrykhar (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:44 AM

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k

Salt in the wound is the C8 Corvette resulted in C7 Corvette prices INCREASING. Lol.
Yep. Before I bought my car last year the ZL1 was on the table (used, with less than 10k ODO) and the Z06 with the manual. Post fix from GM (what was that 2015 or 2016 when they fixed the cooling issue?) though. Prices were dipping on the ZL1, Z06, and the M2C, then bam, they started all going up, and up, and up, and F it.
Old 08-01-2024, 12:31 PM

Received 425 Likes on 237 Posts

I mean yes technically, but the $59,995 C8 was basically a mythical creature. Impossible to order and I don't think anyone actually took delivery of one. From the get go I didn't see anything below $75k-80k and I think one would be hard pressed to find a used C8 for sale, now, for below $60k (barring any 6 figure mileage examples).

GM made the decision from the START to not offer a manual transmission in the C8. The ground up mid-engine chassis has a bulkhead that makes it physically impossible for a shift linkage to pass through from cockpit to engine bay. One can argue, as you say, that they also didn't consider it because of geometry and resultant shift feel. Perhaps, but perhaps not. The Cayman GT4's shifter feel is phenomenal, and it's cable actuated.

My C8 Z51 was $72k new because it was a 1LT with Z51 package, black exhaust tips, and a targa bag or something. No other fluff options. I think the interior is fine and looks like 95% of a 2LT/3LT. Sure, I wouldn't mind heated/cooled seats, and I definitely would like blind spot monitor as you can't see sh*t in the rear quarter of either side, like it's bad. Anyway, it's going to be a fun track toy and it's fun to drive around town, not as much as the BRZ, GR, or Type S, but it's definitely more capable and feels more exotic-y. It will definitely be fun on the track when I get it out there.

Yeah, on the C7 front, I really wish I had gotten a C7 ZR1 when they came out near sticker. I just wasn't that impressed initially as it seemed like a slightly juiced Z06. I still think that's basically what it is, didn't feel like a more special motor like the LS9 in the C6 ZR1, but man it's a great overall package and with the 7-speed manual and LT5, it's always going to hold value, especially if Corvette is done with manuals..
Old 08-01-2024, 06:11 PM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

If it makes you happy to throw a bunch of attitude, please enjoy yourself.
The truth is the truth (link below).
https://apnews.com/article/nfl-raide...0745b59637b058
Old 08-01-2024, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
If it makes you happy to throw a bunch of attitude, please enjoy yourself.
The truth is the truth (link below).
https://apnews.com/article/nfl-raide...0745b59637b058
Man, people can get ahead of their skis in any number of cars. I got your reference immediately when you said what you did above. The Corvette isn’t unique in that regard. Idiots will be idiots even if they are pro ball players.

Not sure why you felt compelled to single out the Corvette. I bet more people cause mayhem and death behind Mustangs, Challengers (straight pipe V6’s), and 350/370 Z’s than Corvettes. Those are the ones I see driving like immortals around here.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:15 PM

I totally agree, many brands/models of high power cars driven by idiots lead to bad events.
This is a Vette thread so the Vette example.
Just my opinion but a lot of folks who buy high power stuff don't have the driving skills and or self restraint they should to get behind the wheel of this stuff.
In the case of the Vette (or my favorite example a Plaid) you can end up with some 20 year old with a job who can afford a used one (lots of power for not a commensurate amount of money), has no expectation of bad outcomes and will create a terrible outcome.
At least with the eRay you have something like my Gen 2 NSX that is set up to not be intent on killing you.
I expect the ZR1 will be a widow maker.
So for folks here who get one, please leave it in the garage on a rainy day.
QUIKAG (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 05:14 AM

Received 280 Likes on 175 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Man, people can get ahead of their skis in any number of cars. I got your reference immediately when you said what you did above. The Corvette isn’t unique in that regard. Idiots will be idiots even if they are pro ball players.

Not sure why you felt compelled to single out the Corvette. I bet more people cause mayhem and death behind Mustangs, Challengers (straight pipe V6’s), and 350/370 Z’s than Corvettes. Those are the ones I see driving like immortals around here.
You left out Altimas. Unless Altimas aren't driven by maniacs in Texas? Tell us! LOL.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:30 AM

You left out Altimas. Unless Altimas aren't driven by maniacs in Texas? Tell us! LOL.
Yes, you can add Altimas and Maximas to my list here in Texas.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:07 AM

Haven't seen a Maxima in a while, big, cushy FWD
Back to the Vette, I feel somewhere in GM someone believes they can disrupt the Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Porsche goldrush by offering a car with more go than and SF90 for less money than a used Roma.
I think instead of disruption, it will be more like the folks that own some stuff in the above-mentioned brands will add a Vette (some who were not already Vette owners in there so call it a conquest).
QUIKAG (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
Haven't seen a Maxima in a while, big, cushy FWD
Back to the Vette, I feel somewhere in GM someone believes they can disrupt the Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Porsche goldrush by offering a car with more go than and SF90 for less money than a used Roma.
I think instead of disruption, it will be more like the folks that own some stuff in the above-mentioned brands will add a Vette (some who were not already Vette owners in there so call it a conquest).
Pretty sure you've seen Maximas, but not "seen" them. Basically an invisible car (i.e. boring).

Man, they came up with a 1,064hp flat plane twin turbo 5.5L V8 with a pretty damn good mid-engine chassis, cutting edge carbon ceramic brakes, mag 4.0 suspension and they are likely to offer it for well under $200k base. You have to REALLY want that Ferrari, Mac, or Lambo to go that route for A LOT more money now. There are no significant, obvious flaws with the higher end C8. GM finally built a full-blown world class sports car for reasonable money.

That said, the truly rich will park one alongside their existing exotic cars because....they can.

Me personally, I'd rather have a C8 ZR1 and another Escalade V for tree fiddy than an F8, Huracan STO/Technica/whatev, or 720/750S. ZR1 for weekend/track fun and VSlade for pimping around town in total comfort with a bada** exhaust sound.

Quick Reply: The Corvette XZora will make 1,226 hp.