Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Here is the rest of the story...

I spoke to the owner when he returned from vacation. 29k miles on the car, K&N air filter is the only modification, he wants $39.9 not $38k and says he is absolutely firm on that price because it books for so much more (he quoted $48k NADA value).

THE BAD: He is not the original owner. He bought it from a Chevy dealer on ebay and knows nothing about the original owner, except that the car was maintained at the local Chevy dealership where it was purchased (he has since maintainted it at his local small time Chevy dealer). It had 10k miles on it when he bought it. He had to have the 3rd and 4th gear synchros replaced in the transmission. Then, the 5th and 6th gear synchros needed to be replaced, so they offered him a new transmission- entirely covered under warranty and done at the dealership.

From reading on corvetteforums, it seems this is not an uncommon problem on the C6Z06. I found some threads where people who have 5k miles on their car had to get a new transmission or synchros replaced under warranty (they were certain it was not from abuse). I am unsure about this deal now, as I am worried that the original owner may have been hard on the car. Even with the new babied transmission, the engine may have some wear and tear. The owner mentioned that I can speak to his dealer and the only tech they let work on his Z06.

Anyone have thoughts? Walk away? Consider buying anyway but compression test it or do something else extra to cover my ass? The owner said it may still have powertrain warranty remaining and is going to check for me. Even if it does, it likely runs out soon. Perhaps I should buy an extended warranty and drive the piss out of it in stock trim for a couple of years?
IMHO, get the car to a reputable Vette shop for a thorough inspection. I paid $100 for an inspection from a very good shop when I got my LS3 Vette; I would do the same for a Z06. The inspection revealed some issues for my Vette which helped with lowering the purchase price, and it also prevented some issues that would have gone unnoticed. My Vette has been problem free for the past 12 months and I beat the piss out of it like it's my job.

If I were you I would get an extended warranty, beat the crap out of the Z06 (on and off the track), and if everything is working well after a few months and if you want to mod it, do so then. To me the entry price is worth the few grand in the extended warranty. My 2c.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

That is part of the problem- no real tuner shops in MT. Best I can do is a chevy dealer that likely sells a few vettes per year. The owner seems to have a good relationship with his dealer and definitely trusts them to work on his car.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In that case I would just opt for an extended warranty, keep the car stock, beat on it for a while, then go from there

I may be biased though as I have a huge itch to scratch when it comes to the C6Z...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z was born to be a track car.Engine is solid and trans & diff are also good.

Upgrade the rotors/pads/tires and you're be fine.

Take out the lousy seats!

\rlr
Carolina
Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I didn't say at any speed at any gear. I said at the typical speeds and RPMS that you would be in just normally driving around town. For instance in my tuned 335i and my GT-R I can be putting around going 40 mph at 2,500 rpm and roll into the gas and pass people easily without needing to downshift. That's all I was saying.
Sounds like you need a ZR1, Joseph. . Here is a 4th gear pull I did a while back, bone stock down to paper filter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloRkCmyj50&sns=em
Old 06-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Wow... what a monster
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Welcome back quikag, could you believe all the vette love here lately?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Welcome back quikag, could you believe all the vette love here lately?

It brings a tear to my eye.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

That's a good deal.

I may upgrade to a C6 in a few years, It's just a much faster and refined C5Z.

You need TPS sensors or the car goes in limp mode.

The TC and stability control eat up brake pads and make the cars feel weird, turn if off with caution, 3rd gear wheel spin is easy in a C5.

I like my C5Z as a track day toy, I just don't try to extract all the performance out of it like I did in my S2000 or Miata. I short shift, brake early and use Street tires (NT-05's). So much easier on the car and fast enough for the instructor groups. The only cars that seem to pass me are C6Z's

Video from Hyperfest 2 weeks ago

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wWEkMOAyTYs[/media]
Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1370454987' post='22588588

I didn't say at any speed at any gear. I said at the typical speeds and RPMS that you would be in just normally driving around town. For instance in my tuned 335i and my GT-R I can be putting around going 40 mph at 2,500 rpm and roll into the gas and pass people easily without needing to downshift. That's all I was saying.
Sounds like you need a ZR1, Joseph. . Here is a 4th gear pull I did a while back, bone stock down to paper filter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloRkCmyj50&sns=em
That's what I'm talking about! Too bad a ZR1 is still twice the cost of a 06/07 used Z06. Maybe I'll just put a tune on my GT-R and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.