Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't the C6Z's also have overheating problems on track or was that just the C5Z? I almost pulled the trigger a few times on a C6Z but they just felt so freaking big from the drivers seat (bigger than the GT-R). Also not much torque below 3,500 RPM which is very surprising for a 7.0L V8. You still have to rev it a bit to really have it feel fast.

We did have a local autocrosser lose a motor on his 08 just from autocrossing it on A6's. That was enough to oil starve it. He fought with GM for a while but they eventually warrantied it.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it. I love me c5z. No torque in a ls-7? LOL
Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

LUDEDUDE has an 08 Z06 I think..... I also had an 08 Z06 back in 2008.... mine was twitchy as hell with the stock alignment and shitty run flats.... I had the dealer re-align it but they would only do it to the factory specs.... The newer ones obviously handle extremely well and lap tracks almost as fast as the ACR Vipers.

Great engine and transmission.... the clutch on mine was about the same as a Honda or Mazda... shifting wasn't as short as the S2000 but definitely a nice short throw.

Post pics if you get it. what color combo and wheels.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Have you driven one? I was really surprised how high you had to rev it to get good acceleration. It's a dog off the line at 2,000-2,500. You need to wind it out a bit to really get the feeling that you are being pushed back in the seat. Nothing like the instant torque of small turbo I6/V6 engines.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I guess it is all relative. I was very impressed with the low-end torque. Then again, I am accustomed to 4-bangers. I do know what you mean though... the car seemed to generate more and more thrust the higher I wound it up. I was restricted by the owner's self-imposed 5500 rpm rev limit, so did not even get to feel the top end, and was still blown away.

The car was gray and had flashy silver wheels. Massive red brake calipers and huge tires (maybe 325 wide and 20" on the rear?). He said it was all stock, but now that I think about it, I could see it had a K&N filter up front. The interior, despite what I have read, was quite nice and very comfortable. There was not a lot of headroom with a helmet on, and I am 5'11" (but mostly torso). The seats were fine for street use, but I was sliding around in them on the track. To be honest, it looked like every other vette to me. I didn't spend much time looking at it. I have always thought that vettes look cool, but are far from beautiful, as automobiles go.

The guy is away on vacation but will be back next week. I am going to get some more information when he returns regarding options/interior package. From reading up on Corvetteforums, it seems there is quite a difference in value depending on the options. I was unable to find another car at his price (mid 40's seemed to be the lowest I could find for similar cars, and many of them were modified in some way).

If I pass on it, I will forward his info to anyone on here who is seriously interested.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Thinking about getting another Vette, this time a C6 Grand Sport, got me serious about looking for a summer car this year. That's when I decided to get something I've never had before - a S2k.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by TougeS2k' timestamp='1370227673' post='22582474
Have you driven one? I was really surprised how high you had to rev it to get good acceleration. It's a dog off the line at 2,000-2,500. You need to wind it out a bit to really get the feeling that you are being pushed back in the seat. Nothing like the instant torque of small turbo I6/V6 engines.
LOL. You're lugging the engine. It wants to rev and you're whining about how you have to push on the gas pedal and use the higher rpms for it to be fast? Please.

It's not a dump truck, it's a sports car. All the "work" is taking place at higher rpms. So yeah, it feels docile at low rpms around town. You need to use the upper rpms to enjoy the car. WTF did you think the tach went past 3000 rpms?!? You want instant torque? Drop the hammer at ~4000 rpms. Or, if you are a nearsighted overweight librarian, tell people you weren't impressed the one time you floored in second just off idle.

Did you even realize the speed you were tooling around at in low gears vs. what gear you'd need to keep the motor at tolerable rpms in other vehicles with fewer cylinders and smaller engines? I like BMW's and their straight 6's alot but if that's all you know, you need to get out more.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
To be honest, it looked like every other vette to me. I didn't spend much time looking at it. I have always thought that vettes look cool, but are far from beautiful, as automobiles go.
I like the looks of Z06's, but you are right... not a whole hell of a lot different than any other C6.... Here is mine.. all stock. I saw 192 on my speedo at some point on thanksgiving 2008 when there was no traffic... no clue how close that was to correct..

Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

192 *gulps*. Did the car feel stable at that speed? Was it redlined in 6th?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 416 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
192 *gulps*. Did the car feel stable at that speed? Was it redlined in 6th?
Should be near redline in 5th. 6th i believe slows down.

Quick Reply: Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.