Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

75w90 redline diff (1.9 instead of "2.1" because I ran out ) redline dexron 3 auto fluid in the trans, Havant touched power steering and sticking to 5w30 mobile 1 Syn because Costco hooks up that stuff
Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Hmmm forgot about costco selling the Mobil1 so cheap. At 11 quarts per oil change, that makes a lot of sense!

Are you tracking the car on 5w-30, and have you done oil analysis?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Hmmm forgot about costco selling the Mobil1 so cheap. At 11 quarts per oil change, that makes a lot of sense!

Are you tracking the car on 5w-30, and have you done oil analysis?
no tracking just back road fun with buddies and car meets im going to grad school (hopfully) and tracking will be out of the fiscal question! No analysis either, but everywhere i read says GM motors like mobile 1 and i mean honestly the LS6 isnt an oil burner by nature (it def can but its a problem). This old pushrod can use anything decent, dont spend too much or get caught up in the forum talk of "my oil is better" stick to basics, the manual says mobile 1 syn and its cheap so why not. I did redline diff because it contains the additive the LSD needs. I read AMSOIL is geat for the vette too but pricing can vary.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 AM

http://youtu.be/FquFrOalAAY

watch this sweet VHS GM provided with our z06. theyll tell you to throw in an extra quart of oil when tracking and how to adjust your camber to be more agro! These cars are amazing for what we pay, truly was meant for track damage to the highest degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FquFrOalAAY

make sure you get your valve springs changed for oem new ones (if your older than '04) before you ping off redline, also install a column lock bypass, and a skip shift for good measure We didnt need the new valve stem seals i bought or the valve cover gaskets, mine looked good so we reused them. Have a certified person work on your springs unless your seriously inclinded, the actual job isnt complicated but the valve spring retainers are the size of a tic-tac and you want a magnet on them cuz if they drop back into the head your up sh*t creek!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

What fluids are you guys using?

Oil brand and weight?
Transmission?
Differential?
Power steering?

I am going to change out everything before I take it to the track. I am planning to use ATE blue for the brakes and clutch like I do on all of my cars. I am hesitant to track the car using the factory fill Mobil-1 5W-30. I am probably going to use Amsoil synthetics for the other three unless someone steers me in a different direction.
I use the stock 5W-30 Mobil 1 and have used it for 12 years of tracking Vettes with zero issues. Just keep it full (or a quart above for the non-dry sump cars) and go have fun. I've never worried about changing the trans, diff, and power steering (though I've had to top off the power steering fluid as it will boil out over time, no biggie). The stock stuff is pretty good. If you have a newer Corvette (i.e. less than 5 or 6 years old), I wouldn't worry about changing out the fluids (besides oil and brake fluid, which btw, I recommend Motul. You can cook the ATE Super Blue if you're pushing the car hard. Speed equals some serious heat. I had to switch to SRF in my ZR1 as I was boiling the Motul 600 after a session or two.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I drove the car in the rain for the first time. I didn't intend to, but was caught out in it, so I figured I might as well enjoy it. WOW is it difficult to put the power down accelerating out of a turn in the wet. A couple of weeks ago, I was shocked at how well it hooked up in the dry considering the power. Even tearing through first gear, the car has incredible traction. In the wet, not so much. The tires have plenty of tread (Michelin Pilot Sports) and it was barely raining. One may as well resign to cruising when the pavement is slick. I always thought the S2000 struggled in wet weather. It is PLANTED compared to the Z06. Even easing onto the throttle made the vette want to buck. I would love to test it out on a wet autocross course to try and get a handle on the thing. I think I have figured out the reason for the absurdly tall gearing. The car would be dangerous in anything short of optimal conditions otherwise.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 AM

I drove the car in the rain for the first time. I didn't intend to, but was caught out in it, so I figured I might as well enjoy it. WOW is it difficult to put the power down accelerating out of a turn in the wet. A couple of weeks ago, I was shocked at how well it hooked up in the dry considering the power. Even tearing through first gear, the car has incredible traction. In the wet, not so much. The tires have plenty of tread (Michelin Pilot Sports) and it was barely raining. One may as well resign to cruising when the pavement is slick. I always thought the S2000 struggled in wet weather. It is PLANTED compared to the Z06. Even easing onto the throttle made the vette want to buck. I would love to test it out on a wet autocross course to try and get a handle on the thing. I think I have figured out the reason for the absurdly tall gearing. The car would be dangerous in anything short of optimal conditions otherwise.
not lookng forward to the Oregon winter in my c5z because of this Hope the newish tires remain helpfull, the 7 yr old good year super car run flats that came on the car when i bought it almost killed me once!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Gearing up to buy my own C6 Z06 in the next month or two... can't wait. Love reading these impressions/thoughts on the car!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Gearing up to buy my own C6 Z06 in the next month or two... can't wait. Love reading these impressions/thoughts on the car!
nice! so you've decided against the GT-R for now?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1376428221' post='22722519
nice! so you've decided against the GT-R for now?
Yeah... GTR is too maintenance heavy, isn't stick shift, doesn't have a big NA 7L V8... As much as the GTR is "cool", the Z06 is just badass. It'll be the perfect daily driver/fun car.

Quick Reply: Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.