Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1374507393' post='22679972
Actually, an Evo has crossed my mind. I wouldn't want to tune it for anything other than regular premium fuel, though. Not many for sale locally, though.
Go to a local track day and see how many Evos drive there and home under their own power first....there's always 1 or more broken ones by the end of the day.
They don't know what they're doing or their tuners don't.

Tuned properly and maintained properly, Evos are rock solid.

Originally Posted by Chris S
Actually, an Evo has crossed my mind. I wouldn't want to tune it for anything other than regular premium fuel, though. Not many for sale locally, though.

E85 runs a lot cooler and makes a lot more power. I saw Exhaust Gas Temperatures go down 300-400F when I switched to E85 from 91!

Also, an RS like mine, at race weight is about 2900 lbs. Stock it's 3175 lbs...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
How could I resist?

Needless to say, this car is a beast! The powerband is simply incredible. Having strictly owned imports, it is a lot of car, in more ways than one. CosmosMpower is right- after driving the car around a bunch, it does seem to lack low end torque and needs to be wound up a bit. For me, this is not a problem, being accustomed to 4-bangers. The car is very stable and quite comfortable at any speed. The front lip is low and wants to scrape everywhere. My driveway is very steep and it is painful to pull in and out at the bottom where it meets the street. The car handles well in the twists, but the steering is a little heavy. For once, I am happy I have traction control. I would not let an inexperienced person behind the wheel of this car. The gearbox is more like that of my STI than my S2k. The gearing is so tall it is ridiculous. You cannot wind out 2nd gear without speeding, even on the interstate. I can't understand why they don't make the gearing shorter. 120mph in 3rd? You can't really enjoy running through the gears with that spread!

I read a lot of complaints about the seats, but they are actually very comfortable. I do not expect that they will hold me in place on the track, however. This car has the 3LZ interior package, so it has a nice leather dash. The climate control knob area is a little cheesy, but at least it is simple to operate. The heads-up display is pretty cool, but I find myself looking down at the regular tach and speedo out of habit. I like that you can monitor oil temp/pressure and coolant temp right on the dash display. The car seems to run hot, and apparently others have had cooling problems under hard track use.

I must say, it is nice to drive a car that can handle the load of the air conditioning without dogging across intersections (90-100 deg here lately). My wife loves the car, so that is a nice added bonus. My ITB'd S2000 is a little much for her tastes! I will post some more opinions after driving the car this week. I would like to get a mountain run in to see how it handles the elevation change (live at 3800 ft, Beartooth pass runs over 10,000 ft). My other vehicles are gasping up there.
Vettes are all I wanna talk about these days. And well I showed :heloo:Monica this post.. and over the weekend she admitted to shopping for a C6 for me!!

Evan
Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1374509071' post='22680038
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1374507393' post='22679972']
Go to a local track day and see how many Evos drive there and home under their own power first....there's always 1 or more broken ones by the end of the day.
They don't know what they're doing or their tuners don't.

Tuned properly and maintained properly, Evos are rock solid.

E85 runs a lot cooler and makes a lot more power. I saw Exhaust Gas Temperatures go down 300-400F when I switched to E85 from 91!

Also, an RS like mine, at race weight is about 2900 lbs. Stock it's 3175 lbs...
[/quote]

No comment...just saying lots of dead ones on track around here
Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the Evos were supposed to be pretty reliable, though in TX summer heat is tough on just about any forced induction setup. You also have to consider tuning - as most are tuned/boosted beyond factory settings, and it's hard to blame the car for maladies a tuner may have created. I've learned over time that tuners have more of an interest in selling you parts and services than they do in the long-term health of your car, b/c they're not warrantying anything usually.

Thinking more about it, I'm not so sure I want to deal w/ the complexities of forced induction and awd in a track car. I know they're brilliant cars, but I like to keep it simple, (relatively) easy on consumables, and reliable. An E36 M3 prob. makes the most sense, but I haven't yet ruled out the E46 M3 or BRZ.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Member (Premium)

I thought the Evos were supposed to be pretty reliable, though in TX summer heat is tough on just about any forced induction setup. You also have to consider tuning - as most are tuned/boosted beyond factory settings, and it's hard to blame the car for maladies a tuner may have created. I've learned over time that tuners have more of an interest in selling you parts and services than they do in the long-term health of your car, b/c they're not warrantying anything usually.

Thinking more about it, I'm not so sure I want to deal w/ the complexities of forced induction and awd in a track car. I know they're brilliant cars, but I like to keep it simple, (relatively) easy on consumables, and reliable. An E36 M3 prob. makes the most sense, but I haven't yet ruled out the E46 M3 or BRZ.
LOL'd at E46 M3. An extremely expensive car to fix with questionable reliability, and the BRZ which is developing a reputation for blowing its motor even on stock tune.

We track in comparable heat here at Buttonwillow/Chuckawalla. If you really want to know how Evos do on track, call up Road Race Engineering or Massimo Power here in SoCal. Both shops have class-winning Evos and can tell you how stock cars hold up to track usage. I don't think you'll be disappointed, the cars are very much setup to be tracked from the factory, hence why they have built in oil coolers, heavy duty radiators, etc.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my Evo days I realized that a bunch of Evo owners seriously have no clue wtf they're doing with their cars, even when we're just talking about minor bolt-on cars.

There's an E85 station 5 miles from where I live. If I pick up an Evo it's getting full bolt-ons and E85 the same day.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1374533816' post='22680979

LOL'd at E46 M3. An extremely expensive car to fix with questionable reliability, and the BRZ which is developing a reputation for blowing its motor even on stock tune.

We track in comparable heat here at Buttonwillow/Chuckawalla. If you really want to know how Evos do on track, call up Road Race Engineering or Massimo Power here in SoCal. Both shops have class-winning Evos and can tell you how stock cars hold up to track usage. I don't think you'll be disappointed, the cars are very much setup to be tracked from the factory, hence why they have built in oil coolers, heavy duty radiators, etc.
sad but glad to hear those BRZs are blowing motors lol! so much damn hype about that car! i appreciate it for what it is, a rear drive corolla, but leave it at that, people claim way to much and blastpheme anything else. fanbois....

Wish i knew more about EVOs, i see a ton of them on the road, i guess ive never been a big mitsu fan but thats probably from a lack of knowledg. And Chris i too dont like the added complexity/heat of FI (again because im a newb), the front engine/rear drive NA platform is for me, i can understand what is needed and something like the vette even the c6 i believe is so easy to tool on!! you get a top notch sports car without the bullshit of over engineering.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
In my Evo days I realized that a bunch of Evo owners seriously have no clue wtf they're doing with their cars, even when we're just talking about minor bolt-on cars.

There's an E85 station 5 miles from where I live. If I pick up an Evo it's getting full bolt-ons and E85 the same day.
This is so, so true. I see so many MAF cars with vent to atmosphere blowoff valves and no tune... smh.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1374535629' post='22681024
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1374533816' post='22680979']

sad but glad to hear those BRZs are blowing motors lol! so much damn hype about that car! i appreciate it for what it is, a rear drive corolla, but leave it at that, people claim way to much and blastpheme anything else. fanbois....

Wish i knew more about EVOs, i see a ton of them on the road, i guess ive never been a big mitsu fan but thats probably from a lack of knowledg. And Chris i too dont like the added complexity/heat of FI (again because im a newb), the front engine/rear drive NA platform is for me, i can understand what is needed and something like the vette even the c6 i believe is so easy to tool on!! you get a top notch sports car without the bullshit of over engineering.
[/quote]

BRZ fanbois are hilarious! I've got plenty enough experience with them to say they are nice commuters and probably fun to drive spiritedly but they are not for going fast!

Evan
Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

The most remarkable thing about this car thus far: dissociative identity disorder! A true Jekyll & Hyde. It is so effortless to drive in traffic around town. It is quiet, comfortable, convenient... a little low to the ground for getting in and out of, but I am young and in shape, so no problem there. It might be even better for the short skirt challenge than the S2000 (time to lower the coilovers on the Honda, I suppose?). The low front spoiler requires advance notification for approach and departure angles, and it still scrapes a little. I have never driven a car where I could get away with being so incredibly lazy with shifting. It really doesn't matter what gear you are in for daily driving, just ease onto the throttle and the vette takes care of everything. The 1->4 shift function is annoying. I am learning to drive around it, but it has to go. It just feels wrong.

On the flip side... what an animal. I hate to even get into it without a passenger along who is also watching for cops, unless I am out of town on an open road. Fortunately, we have a lot of those in MT. The fuel consumption mirrors the opposing personalities precisely. I get better mileage than I do in my 4-bangers, but after only a few spirited pulls, the fuel gauge is noticeably lower. The acceleration is so fulfilling that I just don't care. I am still chuckling aloud after a pull to redline. I feel kind of guilty for hating on American auto manufacturers for all these years. In hindsight, they did get at least one thing right .

Quick Reply: Corvette owners... Looking at a 2009 C6 Z06.