Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette gets bigger and heavier...

Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

The marginal weight gain is worth it for the improved interior and chassis stiffness. The C7 as a total package can now stand toe-to-toe with any sub-$100k performance car on the planet. It seems the C7 team was going for overall improvement in the car, not merely performance gains.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wont win the battle on the electric nannies, they have proven to be highly effective and safe. I pretend that I would want a raw mid 90s farrari or a early 2000s viper but lets be honest, most of us would be dead if we tried to get those cars to limits, now you can push the car closer to its limits and not die in the process as we have seen with the GTR and now the huge evolution in the vette.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM

anyone notice how slow the revs drop in the c7? Is that a normal v8 thing?? My 08 SI which also had DBW was tuned to do the same thing from the factory known as "rev hang" which supposedly helped fuel economy. Only thing is, every time you put the clutch in to shift, you have to wait a second for the revs to drop before letting out the clutch in order to have smooth shifts. Such a pain in the ass and really sucks the fun out of the car. However, after getting a tune, the revs dropped much faster and the throttle acted much closer to my cable actuated throttle in the AP1. Any input on this??
Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM

The slow rev changes might be a few things. First, for a while cars have deliberately slowed the dropping of the revs because the sudden closing of the throttle at high RPM was bad for emissions (not fuel economy). I don't recall the exact reason but you will see people mention this with a number of throttle by wire cars. My Contour SVT, a traditional throttle motor, had the same thing. A flow restrictor could be placed in a bypass tube to reduce the problem. Anyway, so it might be an emissions thing.

It also might be the rev matching function in action. Since this car has a rev match feature you might just be seeing that feature in action.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
you wont win the battle on the electric nannies, they have proven to be highly effective and safe. I pretend that I would want a raw mid 90s farrari or a early 2000s viper but lets be honest, most of us would be dead if we tried to get those cars to limits, now you can push the car closer to its limits and not die in the process as we have seen with the GTR and now the huge evolution in the vette.
I've pushed my no-nannies (except 3-channel ABS, which I'd just as soon lose) 500+hp FD to the limits and beyond a semi-regularly at the track, and I'm no dead, yet...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
... I can get a base model with only the Z51 handling package for around 39k (29% GM employee discount from a relative who is a retired GM engineer)...
You may want to double check that discount. I bought 7 new GM vehicles with the GMS discount over the years as my father was a GM retiree. IIRC, the GMS discount was in the 11-14% range, depending on the vehicle and option packages. In the old days, there used to be a bit larger GMO discount if you ordered (and waited for) the vehicle rather than select a car from dealer stock. There was also a program (may still exist) where employees could tag company-owned vehicles that were used for 3-6 months by execs and for other compnay uses for what I believe was a 20-25% discount. However, that program was restricted to employees and members of their immediate family living in the same household. All of the GM employee discount progams had rules about how long the vehicle had to remain in the ownership, or lease, of the original purchaser as some employees long ago used to flip cars when the discounts were larger. All that said, I don't know the details of the current program under the new GM as my dad, a 31 year GM employee with a 30+ year retirement, passed away before the bankruptcy.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rockville
The slow rev changes might be a few things. First, for a while cars have deliberately slowed the dropping of the revs because the sudden closing of the throttle at high RPM was bad for emissions (not fuel economy). I don't recall the exact reason but you will see people mention this with a number of throttle by wire cars. My Contour SVT, a traditional throttle motor, had the same thing. A flow restrictor could be placed in a bypass tube to reduce the problem. Anyway, so it might be an emissions thing.

It also might be the rev matching function in action. Since this car has a rev match feature you might just be seeing that feature in action.
I Don't think it has anything to do with the rev match function because it's very noticeable when the car is just revved at 0mph in N. Does anyone know if the Rpm drops so slowly in the c6 as well and if their is a solid way to fix it? because that really sucks..
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecked
Originally Posted by rockville' timestamp='1377750098' post='22750719

I Don't think it has anything to do with the rev match function because it's very noticeable when the car is just revved at 0mph in N. Does anyone know if the Rpm drops so slowly in the c6 as well and if their is a solid way to fix it? because that really sucks..
Googling says the stock C6 flywheel is 24 lbs. That's pretty heavy to me. All that rotational inertia will certainly reduce the rotational deceleration. Of course I have no idea what the C7 flywheel weighs, though.

Oh, and FWIW - when driving an 03 AP1 and 04 AP2 back to back, the AP2 exhibited the "rev hang" behavior you described in your Si. It's not entirely a DBW thing. I put it down as being caused by the heavier AP2 flywheel, and perhaps some IACV shenanigans.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 AM

Sorry if this is a repost... But this has a crap load of good info....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMilXmAEjz0
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 AM

Remember that the heavier Corvette flywheel is attached to a larger motor with commensurately higher frictional losses for a given RMP. I suspect this is an emissions thing. The IACV Elistan mentioned is basically the same thing as the DBW hang that people talk about. In both cases the ECU gives the engine a bit of air to prevent what is effectively a quick change in throttle from near full to near zero. With a DBW that is done with the actual throttle plate rather than a bypass. I think many people associate that slowed throttle response with DBW because I seem to recall the throttle "hang" coming about in the late 90s, about the same time that more engines were moving to DBW. One of those little ways emissions controls sneak in and mess up our engine enjoyment.

Quick Reply: Corvette gets bigger and heavier...