Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette C7 v Porsche 991 Carrera S

Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truth32
I'm just bored with German cars design in general. All Porsches look the same, All Audis look the same, all Bimmers look the same. It just gets boring after awhile. Plus, the "options" on the 911 cost as much as the damn car does. At least the Corvette looks reasonably different with every generation, especially the C7. Personally, I'd rather have cars that I trust not to break down and cost me a fortune than "luxurious quality" interiors that cost an arm and a leg at service time.
Thats kinda the point though. The 911 will always be a timeless design, never looks old or dated. the Corvette changes so much that each model looks so friggin dated after a few years. Take a look at C5, they look absolutely hideous, take a look at the same year 911...............
Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
One thing I found with the C7 is that the fit and finish on the body was pretty bad. I like the car but it left me cold in terms of how well it was put together. Is that difference (compared to a Porsche) worth $40K? Nope, but it stands out. Porsches are really well put together - Lexus build quality, in general, in terms of panel fitment and gaps and such.

I still wouldn't kick a C7 out of my driveway, though, and I still think it's an amazing car (that I might still buy).
I think you're putting the carriage in front of the horse here. Porsches have been well made for 40+ years. Lexus has been around less than 25.

I'm just bored with German cars design in general. All Porsches look the same, All Audis look the same, all Bimmers look the same. It just gets boring after awhile. Plus, the "options" on the 911 cost as much as the damn car does. At least the Corvette looks reasonably different with every generation, especially the C7. Personally, I'd rather have cars that I trust not to break down and cost me a fortune than "luxurious quality" interiors that cost an arm and a leg at service time.
What are these "breakdowns" you speak of? Porsches over and over again rank at the top of long term durability ratings.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1395716299' post='23079516
One thing I found with the C7 is that the fit and finish on the body was pretty bad. I like the car but it left me cold in terms of how well it was put together. Is that difference (compared to a Porsche) worth $40K? Nope, but it stands out. Porsches are really well put together - Lexus build quality, in general, in terms of panel fitment and gaps and such.

I still wouldn't kick a C7 out of my driveway, though, and I still think it's an amazing car (that I might still buy).
I think you're putting the carriage in front of the horse here. Porsches have been well made for 40+ years. Lexus has been around less than 25.
Lexus has been THE standard for fit/finish (for "high volume" production) since their inception. Porsche? Not so much. They've had hits and misses in quality but Lexus has been virtually perfect since they started.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls
Thats kinda the point though. The 911 will always be a timeless design, never looks old or dated. the Corvette changes so much that each model looks so friggin dated after a few years. Take a look at C5, they look absolutely hideous, take a look at the same year 911...............

Disagree on a couple points. There is nothing "timeless" about the 911 design. It evolves slowly as is the Porsche Way. Looks back two generations at the 996, it looks pretty dated to me.

Compared to this:

On the other hand, the C5 actually still looks pretty good (the pop up headlights were a throwback even when it was introduced but I like them). The overall shape seems to have stood the test of time. It has clean aggressive lines and looks good from pretty much all angles. I saw a Red Z06 the other day and actually stopped and stared at it for a while. The c4 on the other hand...well, lets not talk about that.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^^meh, agree to disagree

^lol, way to cherry pick and use the 996, everyone's favorite whipping boy. Replace that photo with the 911 from 2 years prior (993) and your argument falls apart
Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I dunno, this 996 (Turbo) still looks pretty good to my eyes. I agree though, the base 996 never has been regarded as a looker, and the current prices reflect that.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^^meh, agree to disagree

^lol, way to cherry pick and use the 996, everyone's favorite whipping boy. Replace that photo with the 911 from 2 years prior (993) and your argument falls apart

I don't consider it cherry picking. I compared the C5 to the 996. They are both 2 generations old and had almost identical model year runs runs. 1997-2004 for the C5 and 1998-2005 for the 996 if I am not mistaken.

I like the 996, maybe because they are so reasonably priced. I almost bought a nice blue convertible for about 15k before I bought my second S2000. The 993 looks pretty good but I think people over emphasize how great it was as a way to demean the water cooled Porsche. They had to make the jump and in the end, they were better for it as I am sure you will agree

When we went to the Porsche museum last fall, they were having their 50 years of 911 exhibit. It was...repetitive to say the least. Its cool to see the prototypes but once you get into the last couple decades..they all look that SAME. *poke poke*

The Mercedes museum was a lot more interesting from a historical perspective, outlining the development of the automobile in relation to important events, other inventions, wars, etc. Plus its like 8 floors and there is so much too look at. If you are in Stuttgart and only have time for one museum, I recommend it, even for non-car enthusiasts.
Attached Thumbnails Corvette C7 v Porsche 991 Carrera S-20130422_193311.jpeg  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 PM
kix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figure I'd throw my opinion into the pot - especially since I'm a new owner of a 991 C4S.

When shopping I looked at Audi RS5, Audi R8, BMW M5, Lexus IS350, Infiniti Q50, as well as the Porsche 991 to replace my GTR. I've never ever considered cross shopping the corvette - it's simply not the car for me. The reality is the average buyer simply doesn't cross shop the two vehicles. Both of these cars, when new, have a specific target market. I know some of you will ask why magazines compare the two when there is such a HUGE price disparity? Marketing again. Nothing sells better than putting Corvettes, Porches, and Ferraris together (or other similar brands) and having the public get butthurt over the review. Now, if you ask the owners of these cars - Do they care if their Corvette is a Corvette, or that the Porsche's performance is matched by the Corvette, and for the price of a Ferrari you could have bought both the Corvette and Porsche. Nope!

I picked the Porsche for many reasons, one being the brand. In my line of work it's better for me to be seen in a Porsche than the other cars I've listed - it fits the image I need to portray. Second is options. If I'm going to pay for a Porsche I want to customize it the way I want. So I went crazy and picked AWD, Ceramic brakes, SPASM, PDCC, Burmester, Full leather, 18 way adaptive seats, this package, that package, etc etc etc. I spend a lot of time on the road so I want my car as comfortable as my house.

I really don't know what else to say. I don't pass judgment any time I see a Corvette or a Ferrari. I don't read or watch a car video and contemplate suicide because I bought the wrong car. I just know that these are cars. People buy them. They stir the souls of some but not others and we need to respect that.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by kix
Figure I'd throw my opinion into the pot - especially since I'm a new owner of a 991 C4S.
Congratulations, pics please!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amen, amen, amen... C7 when (if) the budget allows.

Quick Reply: Corvette C7 v Porsche 991 Carrera S