Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette C6 Review

Old 06-05-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Jun 5 2006, 04:40 PM
Nice review. How much did it cost to rent?

I agree with you about not needing 400 hp to have fun. Every day I think the S2000 is fun, not the quickest by any means, but I'm not racing anyone either.

The Boxster S sell for ~ the same as the C6 vert and IMO put those two together at the same price and probably mostly what the vette has over the BS is power (which is more than most people need in any case).
The cost was $299/day for 100 miles. It was .50 a mile over 100. I put around 225 miles on it.

I rented it from Rent a Vette. First class operation. The condition of the Vette was perfect. My only gripe is that the traction control was hardwired. I couldn't disable it.

http://www.rent-a-vette.com/

It was a six speed manual.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Umrswimr,Jun 5 2006, 04:52 PM
The steering wheel has power tilt/telescope as an option. It's pretty hard NOT to find the ideal driving position with this setup.
I get more mad when somebody scews up my memory settings because there's so much to change it takes a friggin week to get it "perfect" again.
I had the seat all the way back and the steering wheel as close to the dash as possible.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Jun 5 2006, 05:30 PM
Wind noise from the top at 60? Maybe it was not latched properly? I have no wind noise at all at speeds much higher than that. The steering feel is pretty easily corrected with a mildly aggressive alignment. Every car has its quirks I guess, and I have to agree with you about the plastics especially the armrest.
It was noisy with the roof off. DEAFENING over 100 mph.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jun 5 2006, 06:57 PM
I took it to mean there was windnoise over 60mph when the targa top was OFF.

Is my guess correct, Shark?

BTW, nice review. How much of the convertible "feel" is there with the roof off, is it almost the same as a full-on 'vert, or is it kinda just like a big sunroof? And how much room is left with the roof off, could you, for instance, put a golf (carry) bag in the the trunk with the roof off?

The ability to carry a golf bag and a medium-sized duffle, or two golf bags with the roof down/off is my personal acid test for how "practical" a sports car is, and thus, if it would fit my needs.
With the targa roof stored in the trunk it felt like a convertible. Although the wind buffeting at highway speeds and above was brutal.

The roof seemed to take a lot of space in the trunk. I can only guess, but putting a golf bag back there under the roof would be tough.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 PM

I spend a good bit of time in an '05 C5 Z51 car. I really liked it. I really don't think the interior is bad at all. No, it's not inspired. Honestly I think it's a $30K interior in a $40-$50k car. Not the best thing but not like a $15k interior in the same car. I didn't notice any dead spots in the steering. It was a bit numb but not overly so. Not as lively as the S2000 but I think the Honda's steering is dull compared to any Miata I've driven (especially the early ones). That said, the steering does detract and the car does feel isolated at sedate speeds. It feels quite alive at high speeds and when pulling .99G around twisty mountain roads but at less than 8/10ths it does feel a bit sedate. My biggest issue with the car was feeling like a caged animal. You wanted to use all that power! You want to pull the engine to red line! You want to power that tail around every corner... and you can't! I drove the car about a month after they hit the streets. At the time it got a lot of attention. Combine that with 0-jail in 10 seconds and the car became frustrating to drive. You wanted to use it's capabilities but were never able to because it's so fast and the tires are so sticky etc. So instead you have to drive it at sedate speeds where it feels less engaging that a Miata, S2000 or Boxster. You know you could take any of them yet you are always frustrated because you know you can't run free.
I still lust for the car but I'm reasonably sure I would find having not so desirable as thing as wanting.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Here are some pics:

Above is a picture of my new bride. Yep, we tied the knot in Vegas!

Those nighttime garage shots are a little blurry. I forgot to bring my tripod.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:57 PM

thats a sweet ride!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Nice ride!!

The car is okay too.

j/k