Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Corvette C6 Review

Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette C6 Review

Up until last week I have never driven a Vette before in my life. Well, it was worth the wait. The C6 is an amazing ride.

The C6 is actually a little smaller than the C5. The butt is tidier and the over length has been shortened.

I love the round taillights as opposed to the oval ones. The tail end is so much nicer on the C6. I couldn
Old 06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice review. How much did it cost to rent?

I agree with you about not needing 400 hp to have fun. Every day I think the S2000 is fun, not the quickest by any means, but I'm not racing anyone either.

The Boxster S sell for ~ the same as the C6 vert and IMO put those two together at the same price and probably mostly what the vette has over the BS is power (which is more than most people need in any case).
Old 06-05-2006, 01:52 PM

The steering wheel has power tilt/telescope as an option. It's pretty hard NOT to find the ideal driving position with this setup.
I get more mad when somebody scews up my memory settings because there's so much to change it takes a friggin week to get it "perfect" again.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Wind noise from the top at 60? Maybe it was not latched properly? I have no wind noise at all at speeds much higher than that. The steering feel is pretty easily corrected with a mildly aggressive alignment. Every car has its quirks I guess, and I have to agree with you about the plastics especially the armrest.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Did you notice how many miles it had? Any squeaks or rattles? I'd imagine a Vegas rental must get used pretty hard. It would be interesting to see how it holds up against this worst case scenario.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by candyass,Jun 5 2006, 02:30 PM
Wind noise from the top at 60? Maybe it was not latched properly? I have no wind noise at all at speeds much higher than that.
I took it to mean there was windnoise over 60mph when the targa top was OFF.

Is my guess correct, Shark?

BTW, nice review. How much of the convertible "feel" is there with the roof off, is it almost the same as a full-on 'vert, or is it kinda just like a big sunroof? And how much room is left with the roof off, could you, for instance, put a golf (carry) bag in the the trunk with the roof off?

The ability to carry a golf bag and a medium-sized duffle, or two golf bags with the roof down/off is my personal acid test for how "practical" a sports car is, and thus, if it would fit my needs.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jun 5 2006, 05:57 PM
I took it to mean there was windnoise over 60mph when the targa top was OFF.

Is my guess correct, Shark?

BTW, nice review. How much of the convertible "feel" is there with the roof off, is it almost the same as a full-on 'vert, or is it kinda just like a big sunroof? And how much room is left with the roof off, could you, for instance, put a golf (carry) bag in the the trunk with the roof off?

The ability to carry a golf bag and a medium-sized duffle, or two golf bags with the roof down/off is my personal acid test for how "practical" a sports car is, and thus, if it would fit my needs.
Roof off is alot like a vert but, there is some strange turbulence at anything over 60. Not sure on the golf bag with the roof off but, i would guess no problem. the way the roof sits in the back, there is alot of room underneath it. I have on several occasions had my carry on suitcase under the top in the back.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review The C6's styling is definitely more inspiring than the C5's for me.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:03 PM

Good review.

I felt the same way about the C6 cons. The car felt more like a baby-boomer crusier than an true ethusiast sports car.

But man, do I love the looks of the C6, though.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:47 PM

Pros of the C6 coupe:
Killer looks
Incredibly responsive v8 power
Roomy interior
Ergonomic interior is driver friendly,just like the s2k
Price....nothing can touch it Price for performance
Transparent top gives an open feel
Cons:
Steering is not very resonsive>nowhere near as much fun on a twisty mountain road as my s2000
Never got used to the plastic smell after it sat in the heat
Not as nimble as a boxster or s2k ( you feel isolated from the ride)
Targa roof is no replacement for a power top convertable
Reliabilty is questionable..... mine was in the shop 10 times in 17 months and they told me I got a good one.Always wondered about the crank pulley coming loose
Gas milage....if you drive it like your s2k be prepared to pay at the pump,still excellent for a 400hp car

My wife says its more fun to be a passenger in the s2k than the c6.( I think I scared her in the Vette )

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 Review