Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cornering Question

Old 11-04-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cornering Question

Ive only had my bike a few days so Im still getting used to it and Im not yet that confident with throwing it into corners. My question is given the same road conditions and two corners, one slow speed and one high speed which would be the faster round the corners, the S2000 or a bike?

I ask this as I recently sold my S2000 and replaced it with an Accord and a CBR600 (2001), however I find Im taking one particular corner at about 55 on the CBR whereas I would have taken it between 75 and 80 in the S2000, this is probably my inexperience but just wandered what the general consensus was on which corners faster.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:28 AM

If given that the section of the road is very smooth, the bike should be able to turn at the same speed as the S through a high speed turn. Through the slow turns the S should be faster, even if you're dragging your pegs.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many variables for a definitive response, so I'd say don't worry about and instead learn your personal (as opposed to the bike's) limits gradually and have fun regardless of how fast you're going.

IMO too many people get overly focused on the speed differences, when IMO it's clear that bikes are more fun (in the right weather, at least) regardless!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:19 PM

That's right, I agree with Chris S. I want to further add there's a greater room for error on a car, and that it requires a much higher skill level to corner a bike hard than smiply [relatively] turning a steering wheel.

Finally, do not compare F1 cars against F1 bikes as F! cars have an insurmountable benefit of aerodynamic downforce.

But like Chris S says, when you rocket out of a corner after a hard lean - there's no better feeling than that. Not even on the S2k.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Speedster
I want to further add there's a greater room for error on a car...
You meant "on a bike" here, right?

I have many years of experience on a motorcycle and love to ride at a brisk pace, but I'm absolutely sure I corner harder in my S2000. However, my Ducati hits higher speeds in between the corners.

Keep trying to find the cornering limits of your motorcycle and you'll soon be posting about your latest crash.

Concentrate on being smooth with no mid-corner course corrections or panic reactions and the speed will come. Get a book like Keith Codes' A Twist Of The Wrist II (not the first book) and study the sort of rider inputs you should be making. I'm still working on the first couple of principles, trying to brake before the turn, use light throttle through the turn, and feel what the bike is doing when I ride. It can take hundreds of miles in the twisties to show improvement in each area you're working on (well, at least for me).

I get the most enjoyment when I can ride for a while through the twisties and everything is smooth. I really hate it now when I mess up a line and have to make mid-corner corrections, but I ride at a pace where I can get away with it and still stay on my part of the road.

Ride safe out there.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Speedster
I want to further add there's a greater room for error on a car
I think he means that a car is more forgiving at errors than bikes, thus there's more room for errors in a car than bike.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:59 PM

First my advice...as someone who has long since stopped street riding in favor of racing I suggest (in a friendly way) you cool it on the street and get to a track school as soon as it's convenient. The street is no place to be testing the cornering limits of a bike. As a new rider your instincts are working against you, so take it easy.

Now, what I think is the answer to your question. Assuming the vehicles have no tendancy for under/over steer, and assuing that each vehicle's tires are capable of maintaining equal lateral acceleration they can corner at the same rate. However, it's way easier for an average driver to hit the limit in a car than it is for an average rider to hit the limit on a bike. I raced an F4i this season so I know very well what your bike is capable of. It's not for the beginner.

An illustartion: I recently read that some guy in a race prepped (roll cage, race tuned suspension and motor, race rubber...) Camaro SS set the lap record for a car at Grattan Raceway, a 1:30 and change. The lap record on a bike (Larry Denning on a race prepped R1) is 1:19 and change. Think about how much quicker an R1 is than a Camaro SS. It's a silly comparison. 0-100 in 5 seconds vs 0-100 in about 10 seconds (being genereous). It's like an F1 car versus your dad's V-6 Camry. You'd think that would equate to more than 11 seconds (12% quicker). The fact is, as crazy fast as that 1:19 was the Camaro was probably still cornering at higher speeds. It's easier to get to, and stay at the limit in a machine that doesn't fall over if you stop.

...are you wearing a helmet?
Old 12-11-2002, 06:29 PM

im pretty sure a bike driven to its limits will out do a s2k, even a z06 if put at the limits. bikes>cars (except open wheel...holy shiet those are insane)
Old 12-12-2002, 08:52 AM
DVO

Get the back issue to motorcyclist april 2002 they tested a gsxr1000 against a Z06 the bike was faster everywhere but one section of the track. Bikes are faster then street cars given a good rider not a squid is riding it. Also the newest motorcyclist has Hayden driving an indy champ car there is a car that can destroy a bike....it just is a little hard to drive on a street with pot holes and speed bumps.

Dan V.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:44 AM

One thing to remember is that even on your favorite stretch of road that you think you know like the back of you hand, things change. That little pile of sand or gravel on the roadside has a nasty way of finding it's way to dead center of that apex you thought you knew so well. Mr. Murphy takes no prisoners! Sometimes you get lucky and get away with being stupid. From my experience I always know when I'd gotten away with something. I used to grin about it, now I just give myself hell. Too many times to that well...spells disaster!

Quick Reply: Cornering Question