Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

cops and tickets

Old 05-29-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cops and tickets

has anyone here ever gotten a ticket for racing on a highway, cuase last night i got one but i really wasn't racing the car that was two car lanes over, it was more like i gunned it to the speed limit...well five over no more. and the cop pulled us both over and gave me a ticket for racing on a highway, no speed on the ticket or anything. i was just wondering if anyone knew about this and such. i mean how would he knew i was racing if he dosn't know how fast i was going.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:34 PM

Never gotten one of those tickets. (Knock on wood...) My buddy got a "display of speed" ticket for peeling out in a rented Grand Am. Given that he also owns a Camaro SS and a ZR-1 Vette, he picked a hell of a car to waste the ticket on.

If the ticket is for "racing" specifically, I would get an attorney and fight it in court. That sounds like something that could really p*ss off your insurance company. I don't think you want that on your record.

T.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:30 AM

it is worse than just speeding cuz u r getting one more violation which i believe it is speed of content besides speeding

i got one long time ago when i had my previous car
but fine wasnt too bad
u still get one point too
it is just that ur records is gonna be racing instead of speeding
Old 05-30-2004, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 91 in a 55 and willful speed competition(racing). In NC, you can lose your license on the spot for one year and they can impound your car. Luckily for me, the cop was very nice. We were on a deserted stretch of 4 lane at 7:30 on a Sunday morning. I went to court and got it reduced to careless driving and got 4 points. The lawyer cost a grip and so did the fine. The worst part was my insurance doubled. Good luck. Now my willful speed competition occurs only on race tracks.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Former Moderator

It'd probably be wise to get a laywer. I don't know how it works in your area but racing tickets are usually pretty bad. Expensive and usually come along with quite a few points. Hopefully a lawyer will be able to keep that form happening.
Good luck,
Karim
Old 05-30-2004, 11:07 AM

If he didn't give you a speeding ticket and no reckless driving, exhibition of speed, etc, it's going to be a tough sell to get you convicted. Especially if there was no simultaneous standing start. As long as you don't break traction in a big way and were not swerving or committing some other illegal act, you are allowed to accelerate to the speed limit as quickly as conditions allow consistent with safety. No ticket for reckless implies that you were not doing anything unsafe.

Good lawyer should be able to get you out of this one very easily. Cop didn't know what the hell he was doing.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i agree. you can accelerate however you wish as long as you stay below the posted limit AND don't make a racket with the tires.

I think a lawyer will definitely be able to help. just about everyone guns it to be first out of the light.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:18 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i think a couple of local guys got "racing" and lost their licenses for 6 months...... so.... if i were you, i would maybe call the district justice and ask what all is going to happen.....then get a lawyer to help you get out of it....... especially if you really weren't........

goodluck...... luckily I have a friend who is a district justice, so he usually can advise people who get tickets (not me.... i don't seem to get them. ..).
Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 AM

1st plead "not guilty" and check the box that requests a written deposition. Then mail the ticket back in to the court . Send the ticket "return recipt requested" Then shop for a lawyer and wait for court date. You need to plead and get ticket back to court or you will be found guilty in absence. Court date could take months and memory clouds over time. Write down every detail of the arrest. The weather, condition of road, Traffic ( heavy or Not), where you going (birth of 1st born is good), when did you see officer?, etc...
Good luck
Old 06-01-2004, 08:22 AM

This does sound pretty bogus. And if the officer didn't write down a speed on your ticket, how is he supposed to prove himself in court? That sounds like your biggest out to me.

Did he document a speed he said you were going? Were you coming off of an on-ramp or anything like that?

Quick Reply: cops and tickets