Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Convertibles make you deaf

Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Red face Convertibles make you deaf

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/04...&emc=wheelsema1

Not really news if you own an S, but anyway,

[QUOTE]January 4, 2011, 4:08 PM
As Convertible Tops Drop, Risk of Hearing Loss Rises
By CHRISTOPHER JENSEN
At speeds greater than 55 miles an hour, driving in a convertible with its top down produces sufficient noise to increase the risk of hearing loss, a study has found. Occupants are advised to raise the roof — no matter how many style points that may cost them.

That is the conclusion of a joint study conducted by researchers from the St. Louis University School of Medicine’s department of otolaryngology and the Ear Institute of Texas. The team’s findings were recently published in England’s Journal of Laryngology & Otology.

In one of the most self-sacrificing medical experiments in memory, the wind-blown researchers logged seat time in the following vehicles:

• 2009 Saturn Sky Red Line
• 2004 Nissan 350Z
• 2001 Porsche 911 C4
•2005 Saab Aero Convertible
• 2005 Ford Mustang GT

The tops were down and windows open while measurements were taken at 55, 65 and 75 m.p.h.

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health defines 85 decibels as “excessive noise exposure,” so the researchers used that figure as a benchmark. The agency also defines “normal conversation” occurring at about 60 dB, a lawnmower at 90 dB and a chainsaw at 110 dB.

Researchers found it easy to hit 85 dB in a top-down convertible.

“When the convertible cars were driven with the top open, high levels of noise were consistently recorded,” the study said.

At each speed, the turbocharged Saturn proved the noisiest over all. At 55 m.p.h., it was rated at 91 decibels; at 65 m.p.h. it read 95.9 dB; and at 75 m.p.h. it hit 98.7 dB. The occupational safety agency recommends limiting exposure to 98.7-dB noise to 20 minutes. The Mustang, meanwhile, was the quietest, respectively recording 82.4 dB, 83.5 dB and 84.7 dB. Nissan’s 350Z produced the loudest peak sound, reaching 104 dB at 75 m.p.h. Exposure to such a loud sound source should be limited to six minutes,
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should have seen if raising the windows at high speed helped much.

Motorcycles are the same way, probably even worse. I wear ear plugs if I'm going for any sort of ride beyond a quick little trip.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

huh?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why I wear ear plugs when driving. Heck, on long top up drives I will still wear ear plugs. It does wonders to reduce fatigue and contrary to popular belief, you can actually hear better with the plugs in. They do a great job of cutting wind and road noise while actually making it easier to hear other cars and the radio.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Jan 5 2011, 07:25 AM
That is why I wear ear plugs when driving. Heck, on long top up drives I will still wear ear plugs. It does wonders to reduce fatigue and contrary to popular belief, you can actually hear better with the plugs in. They do a great job of cutting wind and road noise while actually making it easier to hear other cars and the radio.
Is there a specific brand you use? Disposable or re-usable?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 AM

I keep a pair of ear plugs in the car. The part about emergency vehicles is ridiculous. I am a fireman and can tell you that nobody hears emergency vehicles. I guarantee you I can hear a siren better with the top down and plugs in than 99% of people in closed cabin cars. Between the sound deadening, engine noise,cell phones, radio, and screaming kids, most people miss the siren and freaking train horn we have in the bumper until you are 3 feet behind them. And even then alot don't notice for several seconds.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 AM

I'm sure the researchers would also find that chefs are at an increased risk of loosing smell and taste sensitivity.

I wonder who paid for that research.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 AM

I typically use the yellow foamies (A O Safety formerly E-A-R). I prefer them to some of the other foamies but that is probably personal preference. I think the most important thing is they fit nicely and you get them deep in the ear. For longer stretches of top up driving when I want to listen to a book on "tape" I've also used Skull Candy Inks ear buds because they do a surprisingly good job. They aren't really good enough for long term top down driving at speed but they are much better than nothing. To clean the foamies I just put them in my pants pockets before doing the wash. If you have an hour or longer even top up freeway trip you might be surprised at just how much nicer the drive will be with hearing protection.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 AM

What?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 AM

My music cancels out wind noise so i'm good right?

Quick Reply: Convertibles make you deaf