Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Consolidate two cars to a Mustang?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Well it's a 10 year old motor and while no one component is an issue for me it just didn't feel or look like the car it is trying to be. Might drive you nuts owning a car with a steering wheel off center too.
Ok looks are subjective and I for one dig the sleeper look. And on the topic of being subjective, one of my main draws to the SS is the idea that both bean counters and engineers within GM agreed that the SS should even have been made, and even continued on with the 6 speed and mag shocks standard. Somehow that idea is very appealing to me, that the car exists in the face of a lot of reasoning against it. It was the same thing that drew me to the Evo RS, Mazda5 and Accord Sport sedan w/ manual.

But the motor - come on. 10 years old or not, what a motor. It still blows away most modern V8's in the industry.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

The SS is more a collection of parts to make a v8 sedan then it is a focused effort by a team.

A 6.2 415hp motor is not a class leader though a great platform to modify due to its age. Lots of support out there. The stang 5.0 produces 443hp. The 6.2 also gets poor MPG.

I'll give you the SS is a sleeper. I am not sure how many of you have actually driven one and those that have driven were actually willing to spend the money. The manually and mag are great, they improve the car a lot. When I was shopping no mag was available.

I am still hung up on little things, like steering wheel looks cheap and off center. Funny seats with mental pointless incerts. Chrome on the outside trimming way too much of the car. My link, love it or hate it but my prior experiences with it out me in the hate it group.

What I liked was the motor, though old it was great. Exhaust sounds mean. Handling was good and the brakes solid.

Don't take me as saying it's not a good car, I would be interested to hear from folks who actually bought one chime in. I feel like we have entered into article debating here.

When you compare a madza5 or accord to the likes of a v8 sedan, I am at a loss. The Mazda and accord were built for the masses. GM will import a very small number of these cars from Australia.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Not an owner myself, but having driven the G8 GT and having just been a passenger in a fellow S2ker's new SS w/ manual up in the mountains, I can say that it is a great driving car. It may not be for everyone, but it is one of the last stand outs in a dying breed of manual transmission sport sedans. Things like the steering wheel being off center aren't really noticeable imo, but the strong brakes, exhaust bark and overrun, and the way it corners at speed are.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SS is more a collection of parts to make a v8 sedan then it is a focused effort by a team.

A 6.2 415hp motor is not a class leader though a great platform to modify due to its age. Lots of support out there. The stang 5.0 produces 443hp. The 6.2 also gets poor MPG.

I'll give you the SS is a sleeper. I am not sure how many of you have actually driven one and those that have driven were actually willing to spend the money. The manually and mag are great, they improve the car a lot. When I was shopping no mag was available.

I am still hung up on little things, like steering wheel looks cheap and off center. Funny seats with mental pointless incerts. Chrome on the outside trimming way too much of the car. My link, love it or hate it but my prior experiences with it out me in the hate it group.

What I liked was the motor, though old it was great. Exhaust sounds mean. Handling was good and the brakes solid.

Don't take me as saying it's not a good car, I would be interested to hear from folks who actually bought one chime in. I feel like we have entered into article debating here.

When you compare a madza5 or accord to the likes of a v8 sedan, I am at a loss. The Mazda and accord were built for the masses. GM will import a very small number of these cars from Australia.
My comment on the Honda and Mazda were only about how they are unique in the segment, not comparing them directly to the SS.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 9 month old and a 3 year old in the back of my coupe.

I know a few others who do also...

Its done by plenty of people.

Don't be swayed, go to the dealership and see if the backseat has ample room for your needs.

Some people just aren't "2 car" people.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So much debate over 4doors V8s considering this OP is trying to justify a Mustang as a family car.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ What do you drive?

Cause my opinion is formed from more then a few articles.

You're aware the charger is faster then challenger in the 1/4 right?
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra Convertible (562WHP/513TQ on a stingy MD 600 Mustang dyno).
2004 996 Turbo Cab (X50). Milltek exhaust.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3. stock.

Sold my daily 2009 Cayenne GTS last year and drive a Ford truck now.

Enjoy the SRT
Old 08-23-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

So then tell him how it's like to drive a stang with kids.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by billios996
So much debate over 4doors V8s considering this OP is trying to justify a Mustang as a family car.
I think it's a natural progression of the conversation. The Mustang is definitely sportier than the SS and the Chrysler products being mentioned here, but for the way that 99% of people use these cars, the aforementioned are, for all intents and purposes, four door Mustang competitors.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Also, for anyone bashing Rob-2, I would say that I have never once felt like his comments surrounding the SRT vehicles were fanatical in nature. He makes a compelling case for a vehicle that many of us would overlook because, frankly, we have a lot of import loyalists and brand snobs on this board.

My current inclination is to have a boring car for going to work and a fun car for the weekend, but I can't fault anyone who wants to get the best of both worlds in a daily driver, and I admire the fact that Rob-2 stepped outside his comfort zone to find that experience, and then braved the inevitable flame wars by telling us all about it.

Quick Reply: Consolidate two cars to a Mustang?