Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Consolidate two cars to a Mustang?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Consolidate two cars to a Mustang?

Right now I daily a Toyota Rav4 and have the S2000 as a toy. I want the new mustang pretty bad! I have an itch for a V8 sports car and this is my 3rd S I've owned so I'm thinking of trying something different.

The catch is, baby #2 is on the way with a 7 month old already.. and I was just informed I'll be dropping the kids off at daycare every day due to scheduling. I know it can technically be done with the mustang, it may be a pain but it can be done. Would I be a bad parent for hauling the kids in the Mustang?

I'm also getting tired of driving a crappy daily every day, so I'm thinking of trading both the S and my Rav on a Mustang. Wife has a new Highlander so baby duty vehicle is covered.

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Why a mustang? Plenty of other good V8 cars out there if you have that itch.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,867 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Baby seats in the back of a 2 door car is a pain in the butt. You might want to check how 2 rear facing child seats will fit in the backseat before pulling the trigger, I don't recall the backseat of the Mustang being all that big.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Why a mustang? Plenty of other good V8 cars out there if you have that itch.
Because I like it the most. I like the handling, the sound, the looks.. Any track worthy V8 sedans under $40k you can suggest?

I might considered a CPO E92 M3 but I worry about the reliability of that one.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevy SS?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Baby seats in the back of a 2 door car is a pain in the butt. You might want to check how 2 rear facing child seats will fit in the backseat before pulling the trigger, I don't recall the backseat of the Mustang being all that big.

Well the 7 month old is about to go into a rear facing convertible, so it sits a little more upright. I planned on putting that behind driver. Infant seat can go behind passenger seat with seat moved up of course.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Chevy SS?
6 speeds are extremely rare.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Sell the S, keep the Rav, and pick up a Mustang lightly used in the future or a new one when you can better afford it.

I think the Mustang is cool too, but no way it makes for an all around baby car. You'll never fit what you need into it, and you will just really ruin the niceness of it with juice box goo, and scratches all over the interior from pulling kids and toys in and out.

The later model M3's V8's are actually pretty reliable but will suck more gas than just about anything.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by vader1
Sell the S, keep the Rav, and pick up a Mustang lightly used in the future or a new one when you can better afford it.

I think the Mustang is cool too, but no way it makes for an all around baby car. You'll never fit what you need into it, and you will just really ruin the niceness of it with juice box goo, and scratches all over the interior from pulling kids and toys in and out.

The later model M3's V8's are actually pretty reliable but will suck more gas than just about anything.
I can afford to buy the mustang as a second car now... but I would be stuck driving the Rav every day. I don't want to do that. I suppose what I'm getting at is I want a V8 sportscar that can haul kids.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of V8s, going to be hard to find something that can easily haul kids. You may want to broaden your search to super/turbocharged V6 cars as well. Plenty of options there with 4 door sports sedans that look and perform incredibly well.

Quick Reply: Consolidate two cars to a Mustang?