Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

considering trading my s2000 for a Tundra

Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

but thats kinda the thing, I want a nice truck something big and comfortable to make longer trips on too. I dont want some old beat up truck.

I would love to keep the s2000 but I dont want 2 car payments. and I'd literally be throwing money away by getting rid of the prelude.

the boat club thing isn't a BAD idea, but i'm a younger guy, live in south florida, i'm sure i'd use my boat quite often.

i know it all sounds like i've made up my mind but i'm just giving my reasoning, I haven't actually made any decisions yet.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Fwiw, you can get a three year old nice truck for cheap - the used market for them has tanked. If you are making payments on your S, what will you really get from selling it? I just can't imagine choosing a Prelude over an S2000.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM

I only owe about 5 grand more on my S2000. And the truck is a 2007, not brand new, its around 26k OTD

also while I love my s2000 and would love to be able to keep it forever. its not my idea of the ultimate car that I'd like to keep for decades.

I want an NSX, and thats probably what I'll go for in a few years.

The prelude like i said serves a few purposes for me right now, as far as something to tool around to learn on and to enjoy screwing around with. Plus its still fairly reilable and i use it as a DD for now (at least until it dies)

and Honestly in the last 2 years I've probably got about 7k into the prelude including what I paid for it.

I'd be throwing money away by giving it to a dealer or someone else for about 2 grand (which is all i can see getting for it given its 17 years old)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

also are you sure you want the boat. I have always heard there are only two good days for a boat owner, the day they buy one and the day they sell it
boats can get really expensive really quick, keep the S. Besides you are in S. FL prime vert territory
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Member (Premium)

they probably won't give you much for your s
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ZSAK,Feb 26 2009, 05:10 PM
they probably won't give you much for your s

also are you sure you want the boat. I have always heard there are only two good days for a boat owner, the day they buy one and the day they sell it
boats can get really expensive really quick, keep the S. Besides you are in S. FL prime vert territory
right now thats pretty much what the deal hangs on, what they'll give me for the S.

If they low ball the hell outta me this discussion is over. but if its something reasonable. Then it just gets to be even more interesting.

The boat isn't going to be some baller crazy thing, it'll be something like a year or two old Yamaha AR230... 21', maybe about 20 grand or so. really easy to maintain etc... just a fun weekend toy. Nothing extravegant.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone I have known that owns a boat hardly ever uses it. If you can't find time to drive your S2000 on the weekend, then what makes you think you'll have time to load up the boat, drive to a lake, put it in the water, use the boat, then load it back up and drive home? Only you know what your situation is so you're the only one that can make the decision, but it sounds like you're just spending more money to buy something that you won't have time to use.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by wickerbill,Feb 26 2009, 05:12 PM
Everyone I have known that owns a boat hardly ever uses it. If you can't find time to drive your S2000 on the weekend, then what makes you think you'll have time to load up the boat, drive to a lake, put it in the water, use the boat, then load it back up and drive home? Only you know what your situation is so you're the only one that can make the decision, but it sounds like you're just spending more money to buy something that you won't have time to use.
can't argue with you there.

I guess the hope is that by the time I'm ready to buy the boat. later on this year, things should ease up around the office and I should have some more time to play.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Member (Premium)

my guess they will offer you 9k for your s2k. Lets see how close I get
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM

if thats what i get then i'm passing on the whole idea. lol.

Quick Reply: considering trading my s2000 for a Tundra