Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering a project

Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
And honestly, doing any sort of power/susp mod to a civic would kind of make me feel like a 14 yr old boy waiting for his nuts to drop still

Every time I go to the track, these 14-year-olds seem to be cleaning up pretty well. Civics can be very fast and capable cars. An EG Civic hatch, for example, weighs about 2,100 lbs. You have to try really hard to make that suck. LOL.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang' timestamp='1384963279' post='22885972
Somethig to think about, is domestic cars. I myself came from the Ford Mustang world (hence the screen name) and the amount of knowledge, how-to's, and aftermarket support for that car rivals the Civic. Granted getting into Mustang or other domestic pony/muscle cars comes with a whole other set of perceptions that you may or may not want. But the Mustang is very easy to work on, the parts are generally very easy to find, and much cheaper than imports. Something to consider.

I would partially disagree with this. I agree that a Mustang is another good option but I would disagree that a Mustang is easier to work on if for no other reason that I can literally move a Honda engine around the garage by myself and I weigh 140 lbs.

Furthermore, Honda really wrote the book on automotive wiring, in my opinion. The way their sensors are utilized and laid out is really logical, unlike many other cars I've worked on.
I never said the Mustang was easier to work on, just that much like the Civic, the Mustang has a huge amount of support (both aftermarket, magazines, forums, YouTube how-to's, etc.) similar to what the Civic has. I've never had a tuner Civic, so I really can't weigh in on which of the two is easiest to wrench on.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always been a fan of the Z32. I vote for the factory turbo if your making a project car out of it.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If you want something you can really build, I'd look at some cars from the 70s with a lot less complexity, but that will still give you a good experience and some cool things to do.
+1 and to keep it in the same vein I would find an older Z, preferably a 240z that needs work. More fun, more classic.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I have limited experience with the Z32 but know they're a giant pita to work on (have to drop the engine to change the turbos or do maintenance if I recall correctly). That's just a pita, and not "fun." They may not be easy to come by, but have you considered a 240sx? That would be a much more fun project car imo, and rear wheel drive. You can do maintenance on it (they're easy to work on) and can eventually do a SR20 swap down the road..
Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 91TT in 2003ish when I turned 18. I only put a few thousand miles on it as it was primarily my weekend car (had an 86 suburban i used as a work truck) but I had it a year or two. I modded it a little for my own amusement but it required very little "work." The slave cylinder went out and was a 30$ part but otherwise it gave me no issues. Mine had full bolt-ons and would hit 160mph with ease. Just do your homework on them; the injectors and some year's transmissions have quirks/issues. Overall it's like the MK4 - over built to sustain double the stock power levels. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone not willing to work on it themselves because the parts are pricey as is. Remember it was a $50-60k car (turbo) back in 1990!

I really enjoyed the ownership of mine and frankly I don't see the tech gap between that car and my current AP2 at all.

The cars handle really well and a good friend of mine had a 'slick top' (no ttops) 94 that handled fantastic with wheels/tires and a fresh suspension. It doesn't have the limits of modern sports cars but I assure it is easily just as fun, of not more so, to actually get out there and drive. Even the fairly weak 222hp n/a's (that have very little potential mind you) still carry the car to a respectable high speed due to its aerodynamic efficiency.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Somethig to think about, is domestic cars. I myself came from the Ford Mustang world (hence the screen name) and the amount of knowledge, how-to's, and aftermarket support for that car rivals the Civic. Granted getting into Mustang or other domestic pony/muscle cars comes with a whole other set of perceptions that you may or may not want. But the Mustang is very easy to work on, the parts are generally very easy to find, and much cheaper than imports. Something to consider.
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1384964282' post='22886014
I would partially disagree with this. I agree that a Mustang is another good option but I would disagree that a Mustang is easier to work on if for no other reason that I can literally move a Honda engine around the garage by myself and I weigh 140 lbs.

Furthermore, Honda really wrote the book on automotive wiring, in my opinion. The way their sensors are utilized and laid out is really logical, unlike many other cars I've worked on.
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang' timestamp='1384964723' post='22886036
[quote name='Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1384964282' post='22886014']

I never said the Mustang was easier to work on, just that much like the Civic, the Mustang has a huge amount of support (both aftermarket, magazines, forums, YouTube how-to's, etc.) similar to what the Civic has. I've never had a tuner Civic, so I really can't weigh in on which of the two is easiest to wrench on.
[/quote]

I think an older mustang or a 240z or sx are great suggestions. I'm going to look around for those since the mustang has a great history as well and can be very fun to work on I imagine, and the 240z would go further into the history of the 300z and my father used to work on them
Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
I think an older mustang or a 240z or sx are great suggestions. I'm going to look around for those since the mustang has a great history as well and can be very fun to work on I imagine, and the 240z would go further into the history of the 300z and my father used to work on them
One word of caution on older ('70s era) vehicles is to make sure you keep an eye out for rust issues. Before you go check out a certain car, make sure you familiarize yourself where the main troubles spots are, and check them out thouroughly. I would stay away from any vehicles from the rust belt, you'll be much better off getting a vehicle from California/Arizona/Texas/Florida etc.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1384964282' post='22886014
[quote name='Kenny_Stang' timestamp='1384963279' post='22885972']

[/quote]

Whoops. I misread what you wrote. Sorry about that.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

I will echo the others in saying to stay away from late 80's to early 90's turbo cars. There is an huge layer of crap keeping you from the engine. I have known people with that model Z and they always had problems and they were never an easy fix.

If you want a fun project a civic is a great way to do just make sure you have someplace secure to keep it. They are one of the most stolen cars for a reason. I have been looking at other older like early 80's or even 70's japanese cars. These are much more simple and there is now a good aftermarket for parts. Something like a Datsun Roadster or early Z car would be fun.

Quick Reply: Considering a project