Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Confused on what to get..

Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on what to get..

I currently own an s2000, but I want something a bit bigger and comfortable since I drive to work and school only. I want something reliable obviously, but I still want something good on gas and "sporty". My first thought was to just get into a new civic coupe or 4 door, but then I started thinking about the Si. it has a k2o (which I can relate to coming from an rsx-s), good on gas, etc. Im also a fan of the TSX, and G35 sedan. I want to have overall lower costs on maintainance, tires, and gas, and I want something I dont have to worry about getting my seats stolen in, my top getting ripped, etc. the tsx and g35 sedan would be used, the Si would be new (dealer wants to "buy-back" the car, so I would see what kind of deal they would give me for my car.) My budget is right around $20k. I dont consider this an upgrade in anyway, but I feel like it would benefit me in the long run. I can get another s2k in the future. Anyways, I'm kind of feeling like I'm getting off track with deciding what to get because the whole point of this purchase is to get something that will be reliable, comfortable, sporty, yet still keep costs a bit cheaper, and will make me worry a bit less. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. :thumb:.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 PM

get a beater
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM
d.h

With the 3 cars you mentioned, you mentioned some of the important aspects will be cost of maintenance, tires and gas. I can tell you off the bat that the G35 will be dead last considering those aspect.

Maintenance - Acura/Honda is well built. One of the most reliable brand, whereas Nissan/Infiniti doesn't even come close. Service cost, I do believe even Acura has a lower cost than Infiniti.

Gas - G35 is a V6. End of story

Tires - Irrelevant. You can put on more affordable tire when needed. Note, Acura uses Michellin with most/all of there cars. Imo, its overpriced, plus it wears off faster than most other brand. But like I said, you can put whatever tires you want when replacement is needed.

Now, if you're willing to go with a coupe, I think the Accord coupe is pretty good looking given your budget range. My other suggestion would be a Mazda 3.

Happy hunting.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM

i find the accord coupe to be too big. ah, just confused between an 04-08 tsx, or 09-10 si sdean/coupe.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 PM

between the two.. get the tsx.. more options standard.. leather heated seats.. hids..
Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
d.h

Originally Posted by Rsxtype-s,Dec 1 2009, 12:32 AM
i find the accord coupe to be too big. ah, just confused between an 04-08 tsx, or 09-10 si sdean/coupe.
IMO, the year is too wide. Obviously, it will be to your advantage to pick the 09 civic over the 04 TSX. It's got 5 years on it. If you say a 08 TSX vs a 09 Si, I will say the TSX. It's more refined, more elegant and more standard options. Plus, you are driving an Acura, not a civic. A civic Si with the same equipment of the TSX won't be too much off in terms of price anyways. The cost of repair for Acura will be slightly higher......but that is if it breaks.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mazda3 sedan or hatchback comes to mind. Non ricey, reliable, has torque down low, and sporty.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 AM

I'm pretty sure a 6 year old S2000 will be less expensive to operate than a 2 year old G35 or brand new Civic Si...

What I'm really seeing is "I want to spend more money for a newer, more reliable, bigger, more comfortable car that is still "sporty"." If that's what you want to do and you consider a Civic Si to be sporty that's not a bad way to go. On the other hand, if you actually want a cheaper car to own and operate its obviously not going to work.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

If you're keeping the S, get a used Lincoln Town Car - big, comfy, and it will really make you appreciate the S.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:20 AM

TSX gets my vote.

Quick Reply: Confused on what to get..