Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

CNN Money Review of Ferrari 575M Maranello

Old 11-13-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNN Money Review of Ferrari 575M Maranello

For those interested...

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/12/pf/autos/f...rrari/index.htm

Review: Ferrari 575M Maranello

Can any car really be worth the cost of five Corvettes? We take a long drive to find out.
November 13, 2003: 11:28 AM EST
By Lawrence Ulrich, Money Magazine

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The sports world calls them "intangibles."

It's the talent that goes beyond 40-yard-dash times. The spirit that can't be captured by any objective measure.

Take Ferrari. As any slide-rule smart aleck will tell you, the performance of most Ferraris hardly justifies their prices. Especially these days, when a Z06 Corvette can prance alongside the Italian pony for about what the Ferrari owner drops on a year's supply of Chateau Margaux.

Ferrair 575M Maranello
But while the Chevy's at the levy, the Ferrari motors on a higher existential plane.

Part of that mystique has to do with price. For example, the new 575M Maranello starts just above $225,000 with its Formula 1-style transmission. For too many owners of exotic cars, that's precisely the point.

But there's more to it. Lose the designer baggage, and the Ferrari reveals a specialness based not on dirty lira or dry statistics but on its uniquely Italian style, sound and sensation.

The Maranello has a markedly different character from Ferrari's 360 Modena, a difference that is partly explained by the cars' layout. The 360's eight cylinders sit behind the driver and passenger. The 360 is amped, attention-prone, eager to flex its abs along Florida's South Beach. For all its brilliance, it's also a car few would care to drive day in and day out.

Time and space
The Maranello is also designed for time-bending travel -- top speed is 202 mph -- but not at the expense of ride comfort and space for people and luggage. Its lines are racy yet unobtrusive, a well-bred beauty with no need to shout. Its closest competitor is the Aston Martin Vanquish, not rageful exotics like the Lamborghini Murcielago. The Maranello also costs a good $50,000 more than the 360.

(side chart) Ferrari 575M Maranello
Old 11-13-2003, 08:55 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jvils
there's no reason a quarter-million-dollar car shouldn't include top-shelf audio.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:25 AM

It's insane how much presence this car has rolling down a city street.

Give me the Fiorano one in silver.

-Mike Loowwwwwery
Old 11-13-2003, 11:35 AM

I had hard time justifying the meaning of owning a $220,000 car. It's just a car...right? Then I saw it in real life for the first time. I could not take my eyes off that car. It's as seductive and addictive as Sharone Stone in Basic Instincts. I imagined owning one. Then I realized that it would take over my life. I'd alienate myself from my family, my friends...and would have hard time justifying the meaning of life without it.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:41 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone explain the differences between the 550 and the 575M ? Is the sheetmetal changed at all or the interior?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:07 PM

honestly for myself, i never have trouble w/ getting my cars and my women confused. seductive no. addictive to drive? hail yes.

if and when i get that maranello in the garage, i'd drive the shit out of it and yes, i would fit it to aftermarket rims cuz the stock ones don't do justice.

they made changes to both the exterior (subtle, but dangerously good) and obviously the engine. make sure you check off the fiorano option.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jvils
Then again, that may be a quibble that never enters the blissful sphere of an actual Ferrari buyer. Again, if a Ferrari were only about bang-for-the-buck, even the fattest of cats would drive Corvettes or Vipers instead. Yes, you can buy five Corvettes for the price of a Maranello -- but why would you need five 'Vettes if you could afford a Ferrari?
Old 11-14-2003, 07:54 AM

a guy that lives up the street from me has a Maroon '01 550 Maranello. Last year, he left it out in the street for 3 days...it had 5 inches of snow on it