Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is this civic worth 2.5k?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly not going to disagree with the posts above.

You know going in that the Civic needs work. How is a Civic that needs work better in any way compared to an Eclipse that needs a little work?!? You know the history of the Eclipse, you already own it, and you aren't afraid of spending a little money.

I just don't see the logic or even attraction of an older Civic, especially not with a motor swap. And REALLY not with an LS block. At the end of the day you'll be driving around in an 18 year old Civic with all of the reliability swapped out years ago and poor maintenance since. $700 is the most I'd offer for such a car.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM

Because its gonna cost around 1500 to get my car runing in top shape, and thats without fixing asthetics. The b18 has about 140 miles on it so he says. Maybe i should wait it out and keep looking then
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

last Civic hatch I bought with reliability issues I paid $50 for it. had a bad cooling fan which let the car get hot and over heated to the point of needing a new head gasket, machined head. Ran great after I spent a few hours taking it apart and putting it together. I agree with the above though, I would not want to get into the headache of unknowns with the Civic, your better off putting the $ into your car to get it going again
Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
Because its gonna cost around 1500 to get my car runing in top shape, and thats without fixing asthetics. The b18 has about 140 miles on it so he says. Maybe i should wait it out and keep looking then
I never understood people who sell a car right after an engine swap. The just screams SKETCHY to me. Why invest the money to do a proper engine swap, only to sell the car 100 miles later? Sounds like the car is a headache and he would rather sell it than deal with it. Just buy a decent stock Civic for $2000 and don't waste money modding it. Just drive it.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SeanSerino
Originally Posted by Lil Dre' timestamp='1355769251' post='22215505
I never understood people who sell a car right after an engine swap. The just screams SKETCHY to me. Why invest the money to do a proper engine swap, only to sell the car 100 miles later? Sounds like the car is a headache and he would rather sell it than deal with it. Just buy a decent stock Civic for $2000 and don't waste money modding it. Just drive it.
Very true.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
Florida^
Oh, did i mention that it needs a part made for the clutch to work? Lol but the engine is a b18 with type r head. I contacted him yesterday and he's saying " ive got other people interested", which im sure is just a sales pitch haha
Here's my advice

For one you no longer have an LS swap if it has a type r head, it's a LS vtec now and I am guessing it wasn't built, so right there don't buy it unless he wants $800. If you don't believe me just google LS vtec and read how much of a pain in the ass they are when not done properly http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...ls-vtec-32829/.

And to show a comparison: I have a fully built LS vtec EJ1 with no problems or paint needed, if I was to sell it, it would be around $3-3.5.

Where you at in Florida? check Miami they have millions of stock to built civics. http://www.tamparacing.com <-- that's a good site for Centralized FL with stock civics

Watch out with the civic crowd, a lot of these guys dunno wtf they are doing and will try to scum bag you
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Unfortunately, that's the going rate for this type of car--repairs needed and all, at least here in SoCal and i'm guessing it'll be a similar market in FL where the import scene is strong as well. Having that said, it's still not worth it. It'd be better to find a $2k civic that is stock and just has 200K miles--i'd trust that more anyway!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Unfortunately, that's the going rate for this type of car--repairs needed and all, at least here in SoCal and i'm guessing it'll be a similar market in FL where the import scene is strong as well. Having that said, it's still not worth it. It'd be better to find a $2k civic that is stock and just has 200K miles--i'd trust that more anyway!
Agreed. I paid $2000 for my 1998 EX Coupe with 230,000 miles on it. It was all pretty stock except for springs and a head unit. I did a bunch of maintenance on the motor when I bought it so that I could have peace of mind driving it around and it has treated me right. I'm just over 250,000 miles now and it still runs like a champ. It's a car that I drive and forget about which is what it looks like you are looking for. I wouldn't recommend picking up someone's project car.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

So the guy drops all that money to swap in the LS motor, puts 140 miles on it, and then sell its. There's obviously something that hes not telling you.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way to expensive.... i bout a 99 civic ex 101k for 2400 runs perfect with a cheap lil tune up great DD just turned 140k yesterday

Quick Reply: Is this civic worth 2.5k?