Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Civic SI bounce like crazy

Old 10-20-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole "Si brakes suck" has been around ever since whatever magazine that was posted a comparison with other compacts and the Si had a large deviation compared to other cars in the group. I think people fail to realize that taking a long time to stop can be more than simply a lack of ABS. The stock tires on 99-00 Si's were HORRENDOUS. You can have the best braking system in the world but it will do absolutely nothing but lock your wheels up if you do not have good tires. I had two 99's and those tires sucked ass. Crappy tires mean you are going to lock up the tires causing a skid which we all know is not the most efficient way to stop. Im sure ABS would have helped but probably not as much as a good set of tires would. I would love to see some data on two stock Si's stopping times with nothing else besides a decent set of tires on one of them.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:47 PM

Check your shocks... Im sure that's the source of the problem.

I had a 99 and currently have a 00 and have had very little problems with both.

The 00 that I currently have is about to get new discs, pads, lines, fluid because the brake feel is TERRIBLE.

As far as suspension goes... I currently have a set of Pro-Kits from Eibach (thanks vtecvoodoo!) and they work great. However, I used to have a set of Koni yellows and H&R sport springs on the 99. The ride quality was AMAZING. I highly recommend that combo to anyone that wants to have a little bit of everything.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:06 PM

the brakes sucked.
the tires were horrible.
the seats were the worst.

but i miss mines... almost bought one again but fear of it gettin stolen held me back