Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevy SSR finally has got some cahones

Old 03-16-2005, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God I would be pissed if I just shelled out almost $50k for a SSR and the next year it gets the C6 motor! Resale on that first year is gonna tank.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:30 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Chevy had a 300-day supply of SSRs in stock.

Still for the right price any car can sell.

GM has done a lot of stupid things. Kills the camaro/firebird and instead brings out the GTO and SSR that don't sell in a year what the F-body sell in a month.

And whole Saturn fiasco is a joke. Mini by itself probably out-sells all Saturns put together.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:35 AM

I have to admit, they are unique looking, I like it over other failed retro attempts by the US's Big Three...

That said, have you sat in one??? The interiors are complete crap, I couldn't believe the horrible materials and tactile usage. About the only thing I liked about the inside was the painted center console. It'll be a cold day in hell before I spend money on that car no matter how fast they are!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 4,253 Likes on 3,309 Posts

There good for doing burnouts and taking to cruise-ins that's about it.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by b0mbrman,Mar 15 2005, 08:55 PM
Yup. You'll feel that extra ton and the TrailBlazer platform...
Acutally, make that a Blazer platform... 6.0L vette engine is going to twist a lot in that frame... I remember Car and Driver did a test - they didn't have issues with the power, only the brakes and frame.

BTW, I', not sure if the car is over or underpriced. I seem to remember reading an article in the NY Times that interviewed a GM engineer. He mentioned that they could make low volume cars like the SSR pretty cheap by building a body on frame (instead of unibody) specifically with the Blazer/S10 frames...
Old 03-16-2005, 02:15 PM

bob lutz is old. the ssr is overpriced. thank god they finally put an ls engine in them but they still cost too much. coolest part about them is the roof.. the worst part is actually driving the thing. steers like a 3/4 ton truck and the ergonomics are not up to par with modern vehicles. imo GM is still headed in the wrong direction.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the outside, the SSR looks okay. It will turn some heads until everyone realizes what it is. I'm glad to see they gave it some balls finally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that one of the biggest gripes with the original SSR? Everyone seemed to be complaining because here you have this hardcore looking muscle-truck that is powered with a lawn mower engine!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM

uh...hardcore? muscle-truck-looking? It looked like it would fit right in at Disneyland's toontown. I thought it was positively the worst combination of concept>design>execution that any automaker has stumbled upon in my memory. The concept is great, but what they created is just plain stupid. Why would anyone buy this over a lightning, or an SRT-10 Ram, or Silverado SS. A truck is supposed to have some functionality, even as a "sport" model. *sigh* shame on you, GM design and management.

Even with a 390 horse motor, I would NEVER buy it, and if it was free I'd pull the engine and tranny and cut the rest into pieces so no one would suffer looking at it. *spits*

Quick2k
Old 03-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by robb,Mar 16 2005, 05:06 AM
Chevy dealers hate the SSR'S. NOBODY wants them even the newer ones. I worked at a GM dealer for close to a year and we had two of them on the lot and we tried everything to get rid of them they wouldn't even sell at auction. As soon as we got the 390horse version we shipped it off to auction immediately and had no luck. Red herrings.
Well, you tell their dealer to send one my way if they're willing to give me an incredible deal. My first offer: $20K cash. Second offer probably will be slightly higher than that, but not too much more.

I'm serious too.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=lukemc01,Mar 16 2005, 03:02 PM] Acutally, make that a Blazer platform...

Quick Reply: Chevy SSR finally has got some cahones