Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevy Caprice SS - hit with the pretty stick

Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Btw, I dunno if anyone thought about this yet, but the police variants are still rwd, IRS, with V8s... in time (granted a long time) these cars will be sold for dirt cheap ala Blues Brothers, only now these cars will really be worth picking up.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
40k is a bit steep for the car, but what other car will give you the same kind of power. It is still less than 335i money and I bet with a lot more options. Granted cant compare a bow tie to a roundel, but why not? If the car is made well, goes like stink, and I'll bet it'll have more reasonable running costs, why not?
I like the look of the G8, but I dont think this car is necessarily any better/worse than that, which isnt saying much either. Funny, I bet if this were a honda people would be saying stuff like "give it the right stance, some tint, some imported bodykit that I'll wait 8 mos for, pay way too much, and wont fit, grilles, etc etc and itll be hellaflush yo!"
But then I look across the room and see the charger, and I know it may not be the popular thing to say here, but I actually dig that car, especially murdered out in black. I got to drive one to vegas, and yes theres alot of things wrong with it especially if I were dumb enough to use an s2000 as a reference point, but it just works for me, so I dunno if this car moves me the same way that car does.
Mustang gt? I'm sure you were thinking 4 doors though.

I drive a Chevy now and find this car to be ass ugly. I was very close to getting an 05/06 GTO twice so I definitely liked the GTO's design.

IMO automatic-only version is fine if the tranny is at least as good as Mercedes' out going 7g-tronic tranny. The new MB MCT tranny is great for being a non-DCT and if mated to an LS3 might make this car at least somewhat fun and quick even at its ridiculously curb weight. I must admit I haven't read up on what type of tranny will go into the SS but I doubt it's anything more than a traditional auto tranny. I hope somebody can prove me wrong though!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1362898295' post='22392896
40k is a bit steep for the car, but what other car will give you the same kind of power. It is still less than 335i money and I bet with a lot more options. Granted cant compare a bow tie to a roundel, but why not? If the car is made well, goes like stink, and I'll bet it'll have more reasonable running costs, why not?
I like the look of the G8, but I dont think this car is necessarily any better/worse than that, which isnt saying much either. Funny, I bet if this were a honda people would be saying stuff like "give it the right stance, some tint, some imported bodykit that I'll wait 8 mos for, pay way too much, and wont fit, grilles, etc etc and itll be hellaflush yo!"
But then I look across the room and see the charger, and I know it may not be the popular thing to say here, but I actually dig that car, especially murdered out in black. I got to drive one to vegas, and yes theres alot of things wrong with it especially if I were dumb enough to use an s2000 as a reference point, but it just works for me, so I dunno if this car moves me the same way that car does.
Mustang gt? I'm sure you were thinking 4 doors though.

I drive a Chevy now and find this car to be ass ugly. I was very close to getting an 05/06 GTO twice so I definitely liked the GTO's design.

IMO automatic-only version is fine if the tranny is at least as good as Mercedes' out going 7g-tronic tranny. The new MB MCT tranny is great for being a non-DCT and if mated to an LS3 might make this car at least somewhat fun and quick even at its ridiculously curb weight. I must admit I haven't read up on what type of tranny will go into the SS but I doubt it's anything more than a traditional auto tranny. I hope somebody can prove me wrong though!
I own the 7G-tronic transmission in my R500. It's an excellent transmission. Smooth and 7 speeds is plenty even for the heavy R-Class. It gives you seamless downshifts via paddles for compression braking. It will even "skip-shift" to jump up or down several gears if you hold down the shift paddles. And it has a lockup torque converter in all forward gears for a more "clutch like" feeling. But it's set up to be slow and soft even in "sport mode". In "comfort" mode, the upshifts are even slower and almost undetectable. It was Mercedes bread and butter transmission since 2006. Not specifically a performance automatic.

I also own an AMG version of the 5 speed predecessor of the 7G-tronic in my SRT6 Crossfire. That thing has completely different behavior. Mercedes claims 35% faster shift times in the AMG massaged version. It feels even faster. And the thing will downshift with a vengeance unlike the 7G-tronic. Like the newer 7 speed the 5 speed will skip gears if you hold the lever in the up or down position. And like the 7 speed, it has a lockup torque converter (for all forward gears except 1st). I know everyone here craps on automatics but with this 5 speed I don't really feel that much loss of control vs a 3 pedal arrangement. You simply have to adjust your timing on downshifts for the behavior of the transmission.

Anyway, GM knows how to build performance automatics every bit as good as the AMG unit in my SRT6. I would expect a massaged version of their corporate 6 speed automatic borrowed from the Corvette and Camaro in this car. Somehow I don't think it will be a disaster combination in a large, heavy sedan.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the design is pretty inoffensive. I'm glad it's devoid of fake scoops and vents. I think the front bumper cover with double hexagonal grilles and double fog light/LED strip is a bit too busy for me. The back side is pretty tidy, except I despise the unfinished black plastic. I don't understand why manufacturers put that crap on cars.

The wheel gap is hideous, Eibach better get on this quickly.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 PM

I think my dept is getting the CC

should be fun
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

kind of boring but it will make for a good sleeper car. Maybe I missed it - but RWD?

How many RWD V8 Sedan's are out there other than something like a BMW/Mercedes?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
kind of boring but it will make for a good sleeper car. Maybe I missed it - but RWD?

How many RWD V8 Sedan's are out there other than something like a BMW/Mercedes?
How is that a question. Of course it's RWD. It's basically a revised Pontiac G8.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

never know - dont want to assume and have people jump on me for "misinformation"....
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

I really like it just needs a manual to really get my interest!

Kudos to Chevy! Hopefully it fits full size men unlike the Camaro..

Evan
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 PM

Why do all new cars all look exactly the same?

Quick Reply: Chevy Caprice SS - hit with the pretty stick