Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4

Old 07-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Originally Posted by cantsleep' timestamp='1405792072' post='23250798
[quote name='Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405756604' post='23250418']
[quote name='cantsleep' timestamp='1405745390' post='23250366']
I would choose M4 over stingray all day all year long
the vette is great car for the money but if you can afford it
why wouldnt you go with heritage M german engineering over chevy made by americans. Dont get me wrong. Im an american but we must admit M4 is just simply overall better car than the vette

in fact I ordered my M4. Should be picking up in Welt soon. I once thought about getting stingray but I knew I would regret t
"we must admit M4 is simply overall better car than the vette"?

What planet are you living on? What criteria are you applying here?
I live in california and you live in detroit?

This my opinion... Anyone who can afford M4 would love to get M4 over stingray unless you are hardcore american muscle car lover.
Im not picking an argument here. Just expressing my honest opinion. If you like the vette? Then great I respect your opinion.
[/quote]

Where did you get that I live in Detroit?
<---------- look here to see where I live.

And no, not ANYONE that can afford an M4 would love it over a stringray. You make generalizations that are absurd. Many MANY people can afford either car and as another poster has enumerated, Chevy will sell many more Vettes than BMW will sell of the M3/M4. You don't have to be a hardcore American muscle car lover (btw- the vette isn't a muscle car) to appreciate to performance and value of the vette.
[/quote]

Gotcha alright. I see your point
but for me, im still going to get m4/m3 over stingray any time during my lifetime. Thats why i ordered one. At least i didnt think i would regret buying m4 over stingray.
The msrp of m4 was 67775 and i could have bought a stingray for at least 10k cheaper with similar options I got my car 2000 over invoice which was 65000 then another 2000 off from new grad and driving event incentives. I once really thought about getting a stingray cuz i didnt want to wait for M4 to come out but after driving one. I didnt like it. But thats just me though. I didnt like the way it drove

Another point i wanted to make is that when the manufacturer introduces a new car saying its "all new". I expect to see some upgrade in engineering especially the engine
The chevy still uses the same 6.3 L V8 that they use on cheaper camaro and older corvette. If im spending 60k for a car. I want my car to have unique engine That kinda shows me that manufacturer tried to improve this car and spent sometime trying to improve its performance and so on

Yea bmw decresed the displacement and went twin turbo on a new M4 but at least they created something different and increased the HP and torque by doing a ton of researches and investmemt. I think that makes me worth payin 60k + for a car. Not saying 6.3L chevy V8 isnt good engine but to me. It doesnt make the vette unique and feel like im getting ripped off when i could just get a camaro which comes with same engine. But like i said. This is my perspectives looking at cars. Yes everyones different
But this led to choose M4 over stingray
Old 07-19-2014, 01:14 PM

I can certainly appreciate that you took many things into consideration when you decided to order your M4. And congrats on the purchase.
However, the LT1 engine in the new C7 vette is not the same as the LS3 that is in the old vette and the Camaro.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM

I can certainly appreciate that you took many things into consideration when you decided to order your M4. And congrats on the purchase.
However, the LT1 engine in the new C7 vette is not the same as the LS3 that is in the old vette and the Camaro.
Yea you are right but they still use the same bore and bottom right?
Stingray is nice. It turns my head when i see one on the road. Especially the white one!
And i also know M4 is having a lot of mechanical issues

Who knows what? They are both great car! Just a matter of you being happy when you are behind of the steering wheel.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cantsleep

Yea you are right but they still use the same bore and bottom right?
Stingray is nice. It turns my head when i see one on the road. Especially the white one!
And i also know M4 is having a lot of mechanical issues

Who knows what? They are both great car! Just a matter of you being happy when you are behind of the steering wheel.
No parts are shared between GenIV LS3 and the GenV LT1. They both use the same bore and stroke resulting in 6.2L because that's what GM powertrain came up with that met the requirements the best.

They added Direct Injection, variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation which the LS3 did not have and completely redesigned the combustion system with all new heads. The chassis and suspension components are also all new, the Stingray really doesn't share much with prior Corvettes.

M4 is also a great car, congrats on your purchase!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO' timestamp='1405785105' post='23250711
[quote name='Presto123' timestamp='1405774398' post='23250551']
[quote name='Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405756604' post='23250418']
[quote name='cantsleep' timestamp='1405745390' post='23250366']
I would choose M4 over stingray all day all year long
the vette is great car for the money but if you can afford it
why wouldnt you go with heritage M german engineering over chevy made by americans. Dont get me wrong. Im an american but we must admit M4 is just simply overall better car than the vette

in fact I ordered my M4. Should be picking up in Welt soon. I once thought about getting stingray but I knew I would regret t
"we must admit M4 is simply overall better car than the vette"?

What planet are you living on? What criteria are you applying here?
Brand snobbery at its finest.
[/quote]

The Corvette is still in the running here because it's the best bang for the buck, which is pretty much its only advantage. If you were to ask anyone in Asia, or even in America, they would prefer a BMW over a Chevy. In terms of quality, design, brand image and confidence in racing heritage, performance, technology, practicality, comfortability, the BMW wins.

See Jeremy Clarkson's reviews on American cars if you will. I know he is biased but much of what he says about American cars is true.
[/quote]

We aren't in Asia and in America, the Vette outsells the M Bimmer. So it would appear that people here actually prefer the Chevy over the Bimmer.
The rest of your post is (as Clarkson would say) rubbish.

Look, I'm not saying BMWs are crap. The M series cars are great cars. I have much respect for them. But as car enthusiasts, lets not be delusional when it comes to respecting that another manufacturer can produce equally great performance cars. Your posts illustrate that you aren't capable of coming to the same conclusion.
[/quote]

Okay so the number of people buying Chevy is greater than the number of people buying BMW so you concluded that people prefer Chevy over BMW? What kind of logic is this? If the cars were in the same price and category then yes your logic would be right. But I am not seeing it the same angle as you. Chances are you see more Chevy on the road because many Americans cannot afford BMWs. So I am here to say it back in your face, your post is rubbish.

Since when did this become an American exclusive forum? Hop out of your well and start realising the world is bigger than Uncle Sam's land.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 PM

HAHAHA... Where do I start with your post....

1) We are discussing comparisons between a Vette and an M series vehicle. Read my post again....

2) Americans can't afford BMWs? As of 2013, America is the second biggest market for BMW. They sold 375k units in the US (population 350 million). They sold 390k units in China (population 1.4 billion). Buick sold 810k units in China last year.

America is also the biggest market for Ferrari, Lamborghini...ect..

3) You actually made several references to what Jeremy Clarkson thinks.

Btw- I'm not even American...

Thanks for the laugh Kevin.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) We are discussing comparisons between a Vette and an M series vehicle. Read my post again....

2) Americans can't afford BMWs? As of 2013, America is second biggest market for BMW. They sold 375k units in the US (population 350 million). They sold 390k units in China (population 1.4 billion). Buick sold 810k units in China last year.

No no no you got it all wrong. The original topic was about Corvette and BMW but my original statement was about Chevy and BMW in general. Please read "If you were to ask anyone in Asia, or even in America, they would prefer a BMW over a Chevy. In terms of quality, design, brand image and confidence in racing heritage, performance, technology, practicality, comfortability, the BMW wins."

Even if you were talking about Covette and BMW M4, just because the sales number for the Corvette is higher than that of the BMW, you know it really doesn't mean people prefer the Corvette over the BMW, right? Correlation does not imply causation. The sales number for Corvette is higher is most definitely because they are more affordable.

You need to take a statistic class. You can't base your decision on pure numbers alone, you have to speak in relative terms. Numbers alone don't mean a THING unless you compare it with another. For example, 375k BMW sold in the US compared with how many Chevy sold in the US? Also, the numbers from China, you have to consider the living of standard as well...duh.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
Originally Posted by Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405834797' post='23251233

2) Americans can't afford BMWs? As of 2013, America is second biggest market for BMW. They sold 375k units in the US (population 350 million). They sold 390k units in China (population 1.4 billion). Buick sold 810k units in China last year.

No no no you got it all wrong. The original topic was about Corvette and BMW but my original statement was about Chevy and BMW in general. Please read "If you were to ask anyone in Asia, or even in America, they would prefer a BMW over a Chevy. In terms of quality, design, brand image and confidence in racing heritage, performance, technology, practicality, comfortability, the BMW wins."

Even if you were talking about Covette and BMW M4, just because the sales number for the Corvette is higher than that of the BMW, you know it really doesn't mean people prefer the Corvette over the BMW, right? Correlation does not imply causation. The sales number for Corvette is higher is most definitely because they are more affordable.

You need to take a statistic class. You can't base your decision on pure numbers alone, you have to speak in relative terms. Numbers alone don't mean a THING unless you compare it with another. For example, 375k BMW sold in the US compared with how many Chevy sold in the US? Also, the numbers from China, you have to consider the living of standard as well...duh.
Take an English class first Kevin. Read my post again... I said that the Vette outsells the M. Is that easy enough for you? I never made the generalized statement that people prefer Chevys over BMWs. You did. I didn't make the generalized statement that if you asked anyone in America, they would choose a BMW over a Chevy. You did. The reference to Vette outselling the M continues into my argument that some people prefer THE Chevy (being the Corvette) over THE BMW (being the M Series). Do you see how the English language works yet?

Your causation argument doesn't work either. Half the arguments here have been that the Vette and the BMW are similarly priced or at least close enough to make people debate the virtues of their respective performance and utility values. That's what this entire thread is about.

Sorry, but YOU are the one that said that Americans can't afford BMWs. I rebutted your statement by showing you that Americans do indeed buy BMWs and that many people can afford them. If they couldn't, the US market wouldn't be that important to BMW.

Btw- if you are going to "duh" me, please at least get the statement right. Its "standard of living".
Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 AM

I love the new M4 but I wouldn't drive either car in the winter so the more affordable C7 gets my vote. It's also just more exciting to me and I enjoy the top down/off experience
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I am also not convinced that people prefer the M3/M4 over a Stingray vette. In reality the price gap is not so large that one simply could not afford the BMW if they could afford a Stingray with a couple of options thrown into the mix. I think its also laughable that the Vette gets slammed for parts sharing (which wasn't even accurate) when the M3/M4 does not. Not saying the BMW chassis is no good, but realistically it is a hopped up 3 series with granted extensive modifications. Watch this video and maybe do some research on the CHASSIS of the Vette: The car is in a different league than the M3/M4 despite the price difference, the chassis is essentially going to be the same as whats in a Z06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPmJDs7tIps

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4