Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4

Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
I optioned my vette out for under 60k. So, no they are not priced comparatively. When I optioned out the M, it was over 70k. 10k is 10k.

Performance is moot? Seriously? We are talking about performance cars. If you don't care about it, then why didn't you buy a 128i instead of your 1M? Why not get a regular golf instead of your GTI? Why didn't you just buy an impreza instead of your WRX?

Again, I still wouldn't want to live with a BMW out of warranty. That's just plain scary.
performance is moot once you get to the speeds were talking about. Just like marioshi said, he can't use most of the power on the street. Its true. The difference between the cars you've mentioned is huge. Not so much between the c7 & M4. Once you get to the level we're talking about, if your not tracking and/or driving like a total jackass on the street, performance difference is negligible.

Also with pricing out the vette, i said when you option similarly they cost near the same. the vette optioned the same way as the m3/m4 is around $68k. a base vette with no options isn't really comparable with the m3 in terms of options. the m3 base with leather comes with more standard than the vette. a 1LT doesn't even have heated seats.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I still wouldn't want to live with a BMW out of warranty. That's just plain scary.
I think the verdict is still out on the C7 for reliability though. It's got more do-dads now and it has optional adapative suspension which wont be cheap to repair or replace. warranty on those runs out at 3yr/36,000 miles. about 4K for replacements I'm assuming. The LS7 did have valve issues.. .

If I had to have just one car (mind you I've daily driven an S for 2 years), that car would most certainly be a Base M3 over a M4 or C7. I literally don't fit in the c7 comfortably and I'm only 6'3" with 35" inseam. I'd assume it'd be almost as bad for me to drive daily than a S2000. The auto Rev matching gearbox would probably save me some comfort. In the S2000 slim soled shoes gives me enough room. Shown here in this picture with regular old Nike crosstrainer tennies and foot on the brake. steering wheel pulled all the way out and up and seat adjusted as low and as far back as possible.
[attachment=62984:IMG_20140118_144849.jpg]

[attachment=62985:c7vette seating.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4-img_20140118_144849.jpg   Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4-c7vette-seating.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

missed this one...

Its not scary. Its very easy actually. people (forums) exaggerate reliability issues way out too much.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405638639' post='23248639

I optioned my vette out for under 60k. So, no they are not priced comparatively. When I optioned out the M, it was over 70k. 10k is 10k.

Performance is moot? Seriously? We are talking about performance cars. If you don't care about it, then why didn't you buy a 128i instead of your 1M? Why not get a regular golf instead of your GTI? Why didn't you just buy an impreza instead of your WRX?

performance is moot once you get to the speeds were talking about. Just like marioshi said, he can't use most of the power on the street. Its true. The difference between the cars you've mentioned is huge. Not so much between the c7 & M4. Once you get to the level we're talking about, if your not tracking and/or driving like a total jackass on the street, performance difference is negligible.

Also with pricing out the vette, i said when you option similarly they cost near the same. the vette optioned the same way as the m3/m4 is around $68k. a base vette with no options isn't really comparable with the m3 in terms of options. the m3 base with leather comes with more standard than the vette. a 1LT doesn't even have heated seats.
Performance is more than just speed. You should know that. You don't have to track a car to feel the performance difference between a "non-performance" car and a performance one.

As to pricing. You are still off. Please show me what options you are selecting. If you select a 2LT with Z51 package and navigation (795 option) you are still under 63k. And with that you still get more performance options (Magnetic ride control, dry sump system, ect). They are still not comparable.

As to reliability, I can only speak from my experience and those around me. The individuals that I know with BMWs out of warranty (I live in Orange County California, so there are a few) have all had some pretty pricey repair bills.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1009851

Some very respectable numbers for a car that is a very easy DD w/ tons of space
I love how everyone ignored this.
The m3/4 traps higher than the c7, has a better 1/4 time and has more utility (Especially 4dr trim).

I really go back and forth on comparisons like these. Sure they are in the same price range and perform very similarly... but i still think they are in two different categories.

Anyway, I did check out the C7 before i ordered my M3 (and obviosuly chose an m3).
The C7 is great for the money and worlds better than the c6 (interior wise). Although i still find some of the interior alittle funky, as well as some design characteristics.
But im still not sold on all the lines and you really have to spec it out with the upgraded rims etc so it doesn't look a little bare-bones (Unpopular opinion.. I personally think a base c7 looks bad).

My M3=
Audio/manual/leather/adaptive suspension/19s = 66k OTD
Old 07-18-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^Use the same (type) transmission in both and then tell me who traps higher. DCT always has an advantage over manual. Not apples to oranges.

That's not an argument for either car, just keep it even.

Also it would appear that the M3's engine is severely underrated, since it makes around 430whp under optimal conditions.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 AM

I'll just leave this here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003637

Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still don't get why we are comparing the two. Should we now compare the Porsche Panamera Turbo S with the Ferrari 458 Italia?

The truth is the two are very different cars. If I wanted a roadster I would definitely go for the Corvette (Actually S2000 lol). If I wanted a four seater performance car, I would go for the BMW M3. If I wanted a practical car, I would go for the M3. If I wanted a European car, M3...If I wanted a quality-made car, M3...If I wanted best bang for the buck, Corvette...

I'll just leave this here

http://f80.bimmerpos...d.php?t=1003637

Remember there was a post about a lemon Porsche 911? Are we all convinced that Porsche has gone down the drain? Nope. You are only hearing from this person because he is having trouble with his new car...and you aren't hearing from others because they don't have any problems with theirs...
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^Use the same (type) transmission in both and then tell me who traps higher. DCT always has an advantage over manual. Not apples to oranges.

That's not an argument for either car, just keep it even.

Also it would appear that the M3's engine is severely underrated, since it makes around 430whp under optimal conditions.
Well the C7 isnt offered in DCT so.... yeah? i took the fastest of the c7's and put up the times against a M3/4.

Also yeah, its pretty underrated.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
I still don't get why we are comparing the two. Should we now compare the Porsche Panamera Turbo S with the Ferrari 458 Italia?

The truth is the two are very different cars. If I wanted a roadster I would definitely go for the Corvette (Actually S2000 lol). If I wanted a four seater performance car, I would go for the BMW M3. If I wanted a practical car, I would go for the M3. If I wanted a European car, M3...If I wanted a quality-made car, M3...If I wanted best bang for the buck, Corvette...
People cross-compare, cross-shop cars that are "different cars" all the time. I know I do. It all depends on the amount of money I want to spend on a car, pros and cons of each possible choices and priorities and things that are not exactly to my liking but I can live with. If I had a rich daddy, sure, I'll have a car for every occasion and won't compromise on anything. Most of us don't have that luxury.

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
Remember there was a post about a lemon Porsche 911? Are we all convinced that Porsche has gone down the drain? Nope. You are only hearing from this person because he is having trouble with his new car...and you aren't hearing from others because they don't have any problems with theirs...
AC problem after 1 week
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1009769
2nd DTC tranny broken after 400 miles
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1011285
Rear diff after just 200 miles
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1010331

I don't know. Could be just "first year gremlins." But it's a tad bit too much for my liking.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4