Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4

Old 07-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Originally Posted by budgy' timestamp='1405101432' post='23239818
[quote name='HUNTERANGEL121' timestamp='1405050016' post='23238889']
I feel as if the vette would be the car you have to work for to go faster, as to where the M4, eh not so much.
But it does weigh 3,300lbs, which honestly a surprise, it looks so much heavier.

Engine wise, I don't really think it's fair to compare turbos to NA, LS motors respond very well to bolt ons. But on the other hand, turbos you can reflash is to push a little more boost, unless they're K03s....

I've got a deal breaker... 10 years from now. What's gonna cost you your left nut to fix?

Not sure if you have driven a car with a 6.2 litre V8, its the laziest type of speed around. Especially if its an automatic transmission. Its lighter and makes torque earlier than the M4, should be easy to drive fast.
I actually haven't driven one lol, unless you consider the Q7.
What do you mean laziest speed?

I always considered the vette an American S2000 lol.
[/quote]

I just mean that it is very easy to get that type of car up to speed, its got heaps of torque everywhere and its got relatively tall gearing which isnt a problem when you have 400+ torque pretty much from idle. I know the motor in the new M3/M4 has come a long way from older turbo sports cars of yesteryear in terms of not having major lag but it still has a powerband that you do want to be somewhat mindful of what gear your in, granted much less so than in the last gen with the high revving V8.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a kid, and will probably have another when my current lease is up. M4 Vert alllll the way. The Corvette is cool but its a Corvette. Im not nearly old, fat, or bald enough to own one , I kid I kidddd.

Im sure ill get caught by the Mod bug once again, there is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much potential with TURBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls
I have a kid, and will probably have another when my current lease is up. M4 Vert alllll the way. The Corvette is cool but its a Corvette. Im not nearly old, fat, or bald enough to own one , I kid I kidddd.

Im sure ill get caught by the Mod bug once again, there is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much potential with TURBOS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's sad that the vette is known for old people driving it. Personally, it's such a beautiful car (especially interior now), a great bang for its buck, and I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one. To each their own I guess.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1405008693' post='23237964
The M4 is a different class of car though. It has a back seat and a usable trunk - whereas the Corvette doesn't. For many people, that alone would be worth the price premium. If all you care about is sheer performance and don't care to mod, the Corvette is the obvious pick though.
Don't care to mod? Lots of people mod Corvettes so I don't think I know what you mean. The Corvette isn't just about "sheer performance" actually, its a good all around car and it DOES have a usable trunk. But I do agree, if you need back seats the M4 is the way to go. Actually the M4 is pointless, get the M3, its cheaper anyhow. I am hoping I can pick up a CPO M3 in a couple years when I need back seats.

Any way you could measure how large the opening is from roof to floor? I've got a small to medium sized dog crate I use once a month and if it would fit, sideways, any way really, the C7 would be my next car.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you were considering to own one of these, money shouldn't be a problem.

If so, then which would you pick? I'd go with the BMW M4. I always have a tendency to believe European cars have better build quality and hold a higher social class (<-- don't flame me for this, I am from Hong Kong lol). Everytime I see a Corvette I think of Jeremy Clarkson's comments on it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO

If so, then which would you pick? I'd go with the BMW M4. I always have a tendency to believe European cars have better build quality and hold a higher social class (<-- don't flame me for this, I am from Hong Kong lol). Everytime I see a Corvette I think of Jeremy Clarkson's comments on it.
If you have to hold the respect of a bunch of self conscious co-workers that judge you based on what type of car you have and what type of life they think you lead outside of work, yeah, a BMW M3/M4 makes more sense than a Vette.

Is it disrespectful over there to have a nicer car than your Boss?

Some bosses don't talk about what they have at home.. . I respect a boss that doesn't hide his wealth. Don't need any more fake people out there than there already are.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO' timestamp='1405611908' post='23247954

If you have to hold the respect of a bunch of self conscious co-workers that judge you based on what type of car you have and what type of life they think you lead outside of work, yeah, a BMW M3/M4 makes more sense than a Vette.

Is it disrespectful over there to have a nicer car than your Boss?

Some bosses don't talk about what they have at home.. . I respect a boss that doesn't hide his wealth. Don't need any more fake people out there than there already are.
I actually moved to the States when I was young (am still young haha). But I did remember my dad was a little hesitant to drive his new Mercedes E250 CGI to work because it's more expensive than his boss' BMW Z4.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1405549849' post='23247093
I still can't figure out why people quote "fully loaded" price as the measure of a car's value. 90% of what makes most of these cars "fully loaded" is completely unnecessary anyway.
agreed. with all the performance options besides carbon ceramics my m3/m4 comes out to around $68-72k MSRP. After this initial model year you'll be able to get them for near invoice. Chevy has been raising the price on the c7 every year and dealer are asking MSRP or more for z51 cars.
Yeah, because dollar for dollar, the C7 is the best bang for the buck. They SHOULD be charging more for this car. What other car in the 50k price range can do what the C7 does?

And as another person has said.. give it 100k miles and one person would be spending considerably more on repairs than the other.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1405550387' post='23247101
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1405549849' post='23247093']
I still can't figure out why people quote "fully loaded" price as the measure of a car's value. 90% of what makes most of these cars "fully loaded" is completely unnecessary anyway.
agreed. with all the performance options besides carbon ceramics my m3/m4 comes out to around $68-72k MSRP. After this initial model year you'll be able to get them for near invoice. Chevy has been raising the price on the c7 every year and dealer are asking MSRP or more for z51 cars.
Yeah, because dollar for dollar, the C7 is the best bang for the buck. They SHOULD be charging more for this car. What other car in the 50k price range can do what the C7 does?

And as another person has said.. give it 100k miles and one person would be spending considerably more on repairs than the other.
[/quote]

if their charging more, it becomes less of a bang for the buck. & my C7 comes no where near $50k. Id rather have a cayman s for around the same price. The m3/m4 has more space, better DD, for around the same price once they are both optioned comparatively. & it is almost as fast! whats not to love about the M?

Regardless, a vette isn't for everyone. They have always been the best bang for your buck in terms of performance. Just like a mustang is one of the cheapest performing cars on the market too. Performance is a moot point IMO, b.c most people aren't tracking their brand new $70k cars & for the street all the cars we talk about are more than enough. Id rather have something a little more special.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405634294' post='23248548
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1405550387' post='23247101']
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1405549849' post='23247093']

[/quote]

if their charging more, it becomes less of a bang for the buck. & my C7 comes no where near $50k. Id rather have a cayman s for around the same price. The m3/m4 has more space, better DD, for around the same price once they are both optioned comparatively. & it is almost as fast! whats not to love about the M?

Regardless, a vette isn't for everyone. They have always been the best bang for your buck in terms of performance. Just like a mustang is one of the cheapest performing cars on the market too. Performance is a moot point IMO, b.c most people aren't tracking their brand new $70k cars & for the street all the cars we talk about are more than enough. Id rather have something a little more special.
[/quote]

I optioned my vette out for under 60k. So, no they are not priced comparatively. When I optioned out the M, it was over 70k. 10k is 10k.

Performance is moot? Seriously? We are talking about performance cars. If you don't care about it, then why didn't you buy a 128i instead of your 1M? Why not get a regular golf instead of your GTI? Why didn't you just buy an impreza instead of your WRX?

Again, I still wouldn't want to live with a BMW out of warranty. That's just plain scary.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4