Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4

Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO' timestamp='1405840229' post='23251277
[quote name='Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405834797' post='23251233']
HAHAHA... Where do I start with your post....

1) We are discussing comparisons between a Vette and an M series vehicle. Read my post again....

2) Americans can't afford BMWs? As of 2013, America is second biggest market for BMW. They sold 375k units in the US (population 350 million). They sold 390k units in China (population 1.4 billion). Buick sold 810k units in China last year.

America is also the biggest market for Ferrari, Lamborghini...ect..

3) You actually made several references to what Jeremy Clarkson thinks.

Btw- I'm not even American...

Thanks for the laugh Kevin.
No no no you got it all wrong. The original topic was about Corvette and BMW but my original statement was about Chevy and BMW in general. Please read "If you were to ask anyone in Asia, or even in America, they would prefer a BMW over a Chevy. In terms of quality, design, brand image and confidence in racing heritage, performance, technology, practicality, comfortability, the BMW wins."

Even if you were talking about Covette and BMW M4, just because the sales number for the Corvette is higher than that of the BMW, you know it really doesn't mean people prefer the Corvette over the BMW, right? Correlation does not imply causation. The sales number for Corvette is higher is most definitely because they are more affordable.

You need to take a statistic class. You can't base your decision on pure numbers alone, you have to speak in relative terms. Numbers alone don't mean a THING unless you compare it with another. For example, 375k BMW sold in the US compared with how many Chevy sold in the US? Also, the numbers from China, you have to consider the living of standard as well...duh.
Take an English class first Kevin. Read my post again... I said that the Vette outsells the M. Is that easy enough for you? I never made the generalized statement that people prefer Chevys over BMWs. You did. I didn't make the generalized statement that if you asked anyone in America, they would choose a BMW over a Chevy. You did. The reference to Vette outselling the M continues into my argument that some people prefer THE Chevy (being the Corvette) over THE BMW (being the M Series). Do you see how the English language works yet?

Your causation argument doesn't work either. Half the arguments here have been that the Vette and the BMW are similarly priced or at least close enough to make people debate the virtues of their respective performance and utility values. That's what this entire thread is about.

Sorry, but YOU are the one that said that Americans can't afford BMWs. I rebutted your statement by showing you that Americans do indeed buy BMWs and that many people can afford them. If they couldn't, the US market wouldn't be that important to BMW.

Btw- if you are going to "duh" me, please at least get the statement right. Its "standard of living".
[/quote]

Okay so the Corvette outsells the BMW. My bad. But still, how does that suggest people actually prefer the Corvette over the BMW M4? That is a big assumption you are making. This logic just isn't running in my mind.

If you were to ask anyone in Asia, or even in America, they would prefer a BMW over a Chevy. In terms of quality, design, brand image and confidence in racing heritage, performance, technology, practicality, comfortability, the BMW wins.
When you quoted me on saying when people prefer A BMW over A Chevy, shouldn't you base your argument on my statement instead? Obviously I was talking about the brand in general... I was talking about the brand because Mr. Presto123 was.

And also, laugh at my English if you will, if this makes you feel better about yourself. I probably speak more languages than you can even imagine. Is English still as important as it used to be? Guess not, the Chinese is buying every expensive property in your area (I'm a Canadian, too) and elsewhere and many Americans are going to Asia for opportunities...You should buy an M4, at the age of 38 you should be able to, but I guess they are all sold out because we prefer BMW over Chevy.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
The Corvette is still in the running here because it's the best bang for the buck, which is pretty much its only advantage. If you were to ask anyone in Asia, or even in America, they would prefer a BMW over a Chevy. In terms of quality, design, brand image and confidence in racing heritage, performance, technology, practicality, comfortability, the BMW wins.

See Jeremy Clarkson's reviews on American cars if you will. I know he is biased but much of what he says about American cars is true.
I'd still take the Vette. Subjectively better looking, more focused, lighter and it WILL be more reliable (take it to the bank). It is probably the faster car in sports-related metrics, aside from it being a race in a straight line. I have more confidence in the Vette around a track, that's for sure.

Money no object, I'd possibly consider a BMW M4 but it has very little that the Vette doesn't (possible better build quality, maybe). But if I'm keeping it outside of warranty, it's not even a consideration because I know I will pay for it. With a Vette, I have no such worries.

The Vette has magnetorheological adjustable suspension, electronic diff, multi-mode active handling system, huge brakes, proper transmission and diff coolers (with Z51 package), all the interior gadgets I could ever want and is built fairly well as well. It's definitely a more polarizing design.

In short, the BMW for me only has one or two possible advantages - cachet (bah - who cares? I bought a Honda sports car so that doesn't matter to me) and possible better straight line speed. If you want to be relatively unnoticed, it's also a decent car (Joe Blow won't know it's any different than any other 3-Series).
Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I haven't fallen in love with the looks of the new Vette. I wouldn't normally consider M3/4 vs Vette. The M3/4 strikes me as a great compromise car. It gives you something like a sports car but it's still practical. For me, the Corvette would require me to have a second car. I couldn't accept the compromise of the Vette as an only car while in theory I could do that with the BMW.

That said, if I felt like I could have the Vette, the BMW M3/4 wouldn't be on my radar. Rather I would be looking at other 2 seat cars like the Cayman, perhaps a 911 (the back seats are really small) etc. In my head the M3/4 isn't a Vette competitor even if the numbers suggest otherwise.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The Vette has magnetorheological adjustable suspension, electronic diff, multi-mode active handling system, huge brakes, proper transmission and diff coolers (with Z51 package), all the interior gadgets I could ever want and is built fairly well as well. It's definitely a more polarizing design.

The m3/4 has all of those but 1.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1405886236' post='23251695

The m3/4 has all of those but 1.
OP said "In terms of quality, design, brand image and confidence in racing heritage, performance, technology, practicality, comfortability, the BMW wins."

I was pointing out (among other things) that the Vette arguably is equally or more technologically advanced, as well as practical and built to last. You kind of made my point for me.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a 2 seater sports car type guy...C7

As for performance, I'll take the monster C6 Z06 over both... And pocket the change

11.5@ 127 mph...Bone stock...take that M4
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting comparison here (in case it hasn't been posted yet):
[click bottom right + sign 2x to view original size]
http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/at...9wsh5.png.html

http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/at...1ijq2.png.html

From Post # 295 Here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...w-thread/page9
Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by cantsleep
Originally Posted by Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405803160' post='23250929
[quote name='cantsleep' timestamp='1405792072' post='23250798']
[quote name='Anrosphynx' timestamp='1405756604' post='23250418']
[quote name='cantsleep' timestamp='1405745390' post='23250366']
I would choose M4 over stingray all day all year long
the vette is great car for the money but if you can afford it
why wouldnt you go with heritage M german engineering over chevy made by americans. Dont get me wrong. Im an american but we must admit M4 is just simply overall better car than the vette

in fact I ordered my M4. Should be picking up in Welt soon. I once thought about getting stingray but I knew I would regret t
"we must admit M4 is simply overall better car than the vette"?

What planet are you living on? What criteria are you applying here?
I live in california and you live in detroit?

This my opinion... Anyone who can afford M4 would love to get M4 over stingray unless you are hardcore american muscle car lover.
Im not picking an argument here. Just expressing my honest opinion. If you like the vette? Then great I respect your opinion.
[/quote]

Where did you get that I live in Detroit?
<---------- look here to see where I live.

And no, not ANYONE that can afford an M4 would love it over a stringray. You make generalizations that are absurd. Many MANY people can afford either car and as another poster has enumerated, Chevy will sell many more Vettes than BMW will sell of the M3/M4. You don't have to be a hardcore American muscle car lover (btw- the vette isn't a muscle car) to appreciate to performance and value of the vette.
[/quote]

Gotcha alright. I see your point
but for me, im still going to get m4/m3 over stingray any time during my lifetime. Thats why i ordered one. At least i didnt think i would regret buying m4 over stingray.
The msrp of m4 was 67775 and i could have bought a stingray for at least 10k cheaper with similar options I got my car 2000 over invoice which was 65000 then another 2000 off from new grad and driving event incentives. I once really thought about getting a stingray cuz i didnt want to wait for M4 to come out but after driving one. I didnt like it. But thats just me though. I didnt like the way it drove

Another point i wanted to make is that when the manufacturer introduces a new car saying its "all new". I expect to see some upgrade in engineering especially the engine
The chevy still uses the same 6.3 L V8 that they use on cheaper camaro and older corvette. If im spending 60k for a car. I want my car to have unique engine That kinda shows me that manufacturer tried to improve this car and spent sometime trying to improve its performance and so on

Yea bmw decresed the displacement and went twin turbo on a new M4 but at least they created something different and increased the HP and torque by doing a ton of researches and investmemt. I think that makes me worth payin 60k + for a car. Not saying 6.3L chevy V8 isnt good engine but to me. It doesnt make the vette unique and feel like im getting ripped off when i could just get a camaro which comes with same engine. But like i said. This is my perspectives looking at cars. Yes everyones different
But this led to choose M4 over stingray
[/quote]

You accuse the Corvette of carrying it's engine over from before. Meanwhile the M3's engine has the exact same vote and stroke as the N54 engine that debuted in 2006.

Glass houses...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a good read coming back from vacation

BTW, just drove the Stingray 2850 miles over 8 days. A proper update is coming but overall I am VERY happy with the car as a road tripper. Comfortable, quiet, decent on gas (32 mpg @ 75mph), and able to hold all our stuff for a week in Yellowstone.

I have no doubts that the BMW would be an equally good road trip car but for 2 people I am convinced the Corvette does not require you to make sacrifices for its performance/price.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,287 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
This is a good read coming back from vacation

BTW, just drove the Stingray 2850 miles over 8 days. A proper update is coming but overall I am VERY happy with the car as a road tripper. Comfortable, quiet, decent on gas (32 mpg @ 75mph), and able to hold all our stuff for a week in Yellowstone.

I have no doubts that the BMW would be an equally good road trip car but for 2 people I am convinced the Corvette does not require you to make sacrifices for its performance/price.
How was Yellowstone? The last (and only) time I was there I found out that my dad died and our trip was abruptly cut short.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4