Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4

Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...sp_rid=4471169

It's important to recognize that each of our Automobile of the Year awards exists only at a specific time. The Dodge Neon seemed like a great pick in 1994, but soon thereafter our opinion changed. So, too, with the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray: it was the best sports car when we gave it our coveted award in late 2013, but it could be dethroned at any time if a better car comes along.

To find out whether a regime change is in the works, we head to Michigan's Gingerman Raceway with a yellow 2015 BMW M4 and our white 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray.

For the money, Corvette all the way, as it's nearly $20k less expensive. Even a Z06 would be my pick though.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
For the money, Corvette all the way.
Yeah, I like the BMW, I really do, but unless you need a back seat, I approve this message.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The M4 is a different class of car though. It has a back seat and a usable trunk - whereas the Corvette doesn't. For many people, that alone would be worth the price premium. If all you care about is sheer performance and don't care to mod, the Corvette is the obvious pick though.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
The M4 is a different class of car though. It has a back seat and a usable trunk - whereas the Corvette doesn't. For many people, that alone would be worth the price premium. If all you care about is sheer performance and don't care to mod, the Corvette is the obvious pick though.
Don't care to mod? Lots of people mod Corvettes so I don't think I know what you mean. The Corvette isn't just about "sheer performance" actually, its a good all around car and it DOES have a usable trunk. But I do agree, if you need back seats the M4 is the way to go. Actually the M4 is pointless, get the M3, its cheaper anyhow. I am hoping I can pick up a CPO M3 in a couple years when I need back seats.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,287 Likes on 992 Posts

I'll take my C7 over that Bimmer any day. Marioshi, feel free to chime in.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Raptor
I'll take my C7 over that Bimmer any day. Marioshi, feel free to chime in.
Lol, I did, twice in fact. I am enjoying my C7 for now, but I can imagine a point where it will become impractical for me (I am under 30 and married after all). I gained a bit of respect for German cars after visiting Germany last years and this car is definitely on my radar as a sort of lateral move into something with back doors.

A time and place for everything I suppose, for you, C7 forever!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not surprised at all. The c7 is the better car. The M4 is ugly compared with the out going M3 model.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Aqua
I'm not surprised at all. The c7 is the better car. The M4 is ugly compared with the out going M3 model.
You lost me there, at least in 4 door form I think the new one is better looking from almost all angles. Wider and sleeker. The grille pieces will take getting used to but they were no thing of beauty on the last M3 either. The truth is, these two generations look very similar.

The one thing I don't like about the F80 is the hood line, it just looks so cheap.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
People greatly underestimate the carrying capacity of hatchbacks. They swallow a ton of stuff and have huge openings - great for carrying things.

Regarding the M4, if you're going to have back seats you should have back doors so you can use them. Thus, M3 > M4 for me.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I helped someone move not long ago and four cars were used... a Corvette was the only one to swallow a large bicycle and probably carried the most stuff.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvette vs BMW M4