Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cheaper daily and nice sports car or vice versa?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Cheaper daily and nice sports car or vice versa?

I'm at a cross roads where I have a great reliable DD 08 Toyota RAV4, serves me perfectly it's just extremely boring to drive and it's getting a little old, I'm also ready for an upgrade.

I also sold my S2000 and am looking for its replacement.

I do have two young children so the DD must be child friendly, but more importantly.. Do you guys choose to have a DD that is a little older, new scratches go unnoticed and spend more money on a nice sports car?

Or, spend the money on a nicer DD since I barely have time for a sports car as it is and ultimately spend more time driving the DD where the extra amenities would be welcome?

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Spend the money in the car you will mostly use imo. A sports car isn't a whole lot of fun if you can barely drive it.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say get a nicer fun dual purpose car. I don't see the point of driving a dull appliance 95% of the time so you can drive a fun car a few times a month. If you park/work in a crowded area and it's common to get door dings and stuff I'd probably opt for the beater/fun car route though but in suburbia one car is fine.

Something with a little luxury and fun to drive would be the ticket.

I wouldn't drive a Rav 4 daily if you told me I could have a GT3RS to drive once a month for a few hours, no deal.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:20 AM
Member (Premium)

I love the rav for the fact that it's cheap to own and if it gets a new ding or something I really don't care.

I'm the one who drops off the kids at daycare every morning so taking a sports car to work isn't an option, although my wife is a teacher so I do have 3 months a year where I could drive the sports car all the time, but that's it.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:39 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

How about a 911? Back seats are perfect for kids.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:12 AM
Member (Premium)

I'd love a 911 but young kids in a coupe is a no go for getting them in and out every morning.

I'm considering a 911 as the S2000 replacement though.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Man, the age old question for car nuts that don't have unlimited budgets which is most of us. I love having my LX as a daily, but like the RAV4, it's not exciting. I've been driving the '16 Camaro SS this past work week because my fiancé's internship ended and she's been redoing the shower so she wanted the LX. Man, it's fun to drive a fast, fun, pretty darn comfy car every day. Reminds me of driving my previous '12 CTS-V for 3 years as a daily.

So OP, I'd get one car that can serve good dual-purpose. Get it Xpel wrapped for extra protection and just enjoying every day. Life is truly short.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I love all my cars, but if I could only have one car that can do it all, I can't think of anything I want. Maybe a fully loaded Turbo S, but meh..... Plus, I really don't want to get rid of any of my rides as I really enjoy them for different reasons, but I definitely don't drive the GT4 or Vette as much as I want...
Old 08-20-2016, 05:22 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
I'd love a 911 but young kids in a coupe is a no go for getting them in and out every morning.

I'm considering a 911 as the S2000 replacement though.
A lot of people do it, each seat is an effective child seat. Small price to have both worlds. It's going to be some give and take to get a real sports car with any kind of back seat. If the 911 doesn't have power seats, they'll slide back pretty quick. How about an M3 then?
Old 08-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd do something like a CTSv, C63 AMG, S4, M3 etc. One of the sports sedans should be a lot of fun as well as being a great daily driver with back doors.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

M3 was made for people in these situations. F80 should do the trick, or E90 if you prefer the V8.

Quick Reply: Cheaper daily and nice sports car or vice versa?