Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ceramic Window Tint Vs Standard Tint

Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ceramic Window Tint Vs Standard Tint

Very happy w/ the non tinted windows on the S since I usually have the top and windows down on that one... This is actually for the family hauler "The Orange" (Honda Element) which currently has standard window tint on both the driver's and passenger's side front windows. It looks great and helps w/ the glare, but what I really wanted was something to help block the heat. On family road trips I always feel like my right side is frozen by the A/C and my left bakes in the sun. I want to stay within the legal limit for NC (30%) which is what I'm at now so going darker isn't really an option. My question is will going to a Ceramic Window Tint really make a difference w/ the heat? Does anyone have first hand experince with both? Any feedback is welcomed... Thank you!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

From what I can tell so far, it does. Haven't had the tint long enough (no summer months). The S has regular tint and my other car has ceramic (Huper Optic) tint. Just feeling the difference in thickness, you will realize that it'll keep the heat out more.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 AM

I have ceramic tint on my S, its a 25% tint. I can tell in the summer when I get in the car that its cooler with the tint. Only thing though is that my tint is only on the side windows, so the dash and parts of the console, like the shifter still get hot from the front window.

I can roll the windows up though and tell that its blocking some of the suns rays.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It makes a huge difference in heat rejection. I typically have ceramic on all my cars. I usually select 80% (basically, clear) and tint everything including front windshield. Most of the heat comes in from the front windshield.

Best way for me to describe it is, having standard tint, even on the darker side, you get into the car on a summers day and your ass gets burned by the leather, and it's real hot inside. (Standard tint typically rejects 20-25% of heat).

On my cars, I can leave it outside in direct sun, and when you enter the car, it's not hot at all. Leather is warm if that. Additonally, while driving, your face isn't burned by the sun entering the windshield. Quality ceramic typically rejects 45-55% of heat (regardless of shade).

I too like the "clean" look of no tint, and only get tint for the benefits of heat rejection.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m55555
It makes a huge difference in heat rejection.
Amen!

I have 35% all around. It really makes a difference with the OEM top since the rear glass is huge compared to the softtop glass. I highly recommend ceramic, or metallic at the very least. My friend's F150 has 30% tint (dyed) all around which results in the hot/cold experience described in the OP.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

How does ceramic or metallic tint affect radar detectors? I thought I read somewhere that for best radar protection, stay away from metallic (not sure on ceramic).
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it really matter? I believe any decent cop is aiming for the chassis of the car and the laser/radar will get a hit off of that.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe he's talking about inside out.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This post might help clear things up.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:20 AM

The nano ceramic definetely makes a difference in heat especially with a sun visor I would suggest darkest legal tint with nano ceramic an of course a sun visor. The biggest flaw in the s2000 is no matter what tint you put on the black cloth soft top attracts heat so on the s2000 it's wasted effort unless you have hardtop

Quick Reply: Ceramic Window Tint Vs Standard Tint