Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

CBR600F4i

Old 04-20-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600F4i

Anyone have thoughts about this bike for a first time owner? Any comments about the bike in general good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Also, any buying tips and online shopping places would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:09 PM

Not that I've had one, but a 600 is great for a starter bike.

I started with this: -

ZXR 400 - great bike, very forgiving and never had any problems keeping up with the bigger bikes on the twisties, just the straights when they disappeared.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 229 Likes on 162 Posts

600F4i is still a pretty quick bike, but if you keep yourself under control, it should be okay. My brother is crazy and he lived through two years on the same bike (though he did crash a few times). It's still very quick - mid- to high-10s quarter mile - so beware of pinning that throttle unless you have a very clear road ahead AND you know what you are doing.

Personally, I'd go with an unfaired (or partially faired) bike. SV650S, FZ6, or perhaps a Bandit 600S for your first bike. More relaxed riding position, easier to turn, and not quite as fast (though the FZ6 has 98 hp, stock, which is still quite a bit).
Old 04-24-2006, 12:53 PM

I would say dont do it. Start with something smaller. F4i's have a lot of power and they can get away from you if your new to riding.

I started with a 98 Ninja 500r as my first bike and I would recommend it to any new riders. Its a great bike to learn on. It has all the power a beginner needs and the seating position is better to learn with than an F4i.
After a season of riding the Ninja I switched to a 01 F4i. I think if this were my first bike I would have ended up dropping it or worse. I would say start with something smaller. but thats just my $.02
Old 04-24-2006, 03:15 PM

I had an F4i for my first bike. If you are responsible it's not bad bike (it's one of the tammer 600's but still fast as hell). Although it was my first bike I wish I had started on something smaller. The learning curve is steeper starting on the newer 600cc bikes and higher.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:21 PM

Lightbulb

How old are you?

I'm a firm believer that for street bikes, IN GENERAL, the older you are the lower the probability of doing something stupid.

Honda CBR600's have always been great bikes - decent power, good ergonomics, good re-sale. And if you feel yourself start to outgrow it, there are a couple very inexpensive ways the increase the 'fun factor'.

If you R around 20, think long and hard about it - and get an insurance quote before you set out to purchase. Closer to 30 than 20 -> great choice.... Still, check out insurance before you purchase...... depending on your record, locale, and insurance company, U may find you will only want to swing liability..... in which case you would not purchase with a lein.

PM me if you'd like. My first track bike was a '94 F2 with *some* mods - kinda boring on the street for me, but on the track it held a line like it was on rails.

I always gotta give this little speach to newbies:

Wear your fuggin' helmet at ALL times! This especially goes out to those in 'no helmet law' states.

Invest in a decent leather jacket (those with perfs are much more comfortable in hot, humid weather).
Old 04-26-2006, 07:14 AM

I'm 36 Kleecker. Insurance is just under $400/year through State Farm. I am not likely to act too much a fool...if the bike didn't kill me my wife would.

Thanks for everyones opinions...I purchased the F4i last weekend, and the weather has been lousy ever since The 17 miles I got to ride home were a blast, but all I have been able to do since is polish the farings! Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day, mid 70's.

I purchased all new gear, helmet, gloves and jacket. No boots yet, everyone I have talked to so far say they are more of a nuisance.

May take some pictures tomorrow and post if the weather holds.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kronos,Apr 26 2006, 04:14 PM
No boots yet, everyone I have talked to so far say they are more of a nuisance.

May take some pictures tomorrow and post if the weather holds.
Until you feck you ankle up, then maybe it would have been worth the nuisance.

Congrats anyway, look forward to the pics
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 AM

congrats on the new ride!

my only comment is my best friend flipped one doing the first wheelie of his life a few weeks after he bought it....soooo..have fun and be careful!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 PM

No wheelies here...to old for wheelies.

Quick Reply: CBR600F4i