Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cayman S or Supercharged S2000?

Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's deciding between a Cayman and an S2K. Sports cars. Not a heavy MB built for cruising. I'm sure its a decent car but a cayman is worlds away when it comes to driving.

I dont need to drive one. The cayman is probably the best daily sports car on the market right now if you can't drop the cash for the 911. The universal acclaim confirms this. An SLK is largely forgotten in comparison.

So sure he can think about it, but I dont think power and torque are his priorities.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezza
He's deciding between a Cayman and an S2K. Sports cars. Not a heavy MB built for cruising. I'm sure its a decent car but a cayman is worlds away when it comes to driving.

I dont need to drive one. The cayman is probably the best daily sports car on the market right now if you can't drop the cash for the 911. The universal acclaim confirms this. An SLK is largely forgotten in comparison.

So sure he can think about it, but I dont think power and torque are his priorities.
Exactly. Stop recommending the slk in every thread! The OP asked cayman vs sc'ed s2k. Not cayman vs. sc'ed s2k vs. slk
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by Mezza' timestamp='1385949010' post='22902706

Exactly. Stop recommending the slk in every thread! The OP asked cayman vs sc'ed s2k. Not cayman vs. sc'ed s2k vs. slk

To sort this out for you guys... an impending house purchase is stopping me from any toy car purchase at the moment.. BUT.. when the time is right, I will probably buy an S2000 and supercharge it. It's something I've always wanted to do. It's also hard to beat the bang for the buck with a FI S too. It is noisy, and obviously opinions are different but I tried DDing my last S2000, I lasted about 5 months and sold it. I couldn't stand it for the reasons Spud mentioned. Those things don't bother me and are actually welcome in a car I drive a few times a month though.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM

That's because your reading comprehension sucks. Here's what the OP actually had to say.

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Agreeing with above, I like the adjustable suspension on the Boxster, the heated seats, just the little creature comforts would be nice.

Also trying to be honest with myself as to how fast I will be driving this car. Most of the time i'll be taking it out for date nights and such, not flying with it. I do want some oomph when merging or when I'm by myself on a twisty road though. I'm thinking 300hp/260 torque will be sufficient. I'm more concerned with the torque number though, I love the S but it's not that fun driving slowly at lower RPMs.
So the guy is considering a convertible (Boxster). He likes the creature comforts the Porsche offers. He would enjoy an engine with more torque than a Civic. And he sold his last S2000 because it was stripped down and noisy. But an SLK55 would offer nothing that the OP is looking for? Really, that's what you guys read in his post? Interesting!

And according to Car & Driver, a 2007 Boxster S has a curb weight of 3,108 lbs while my SLK55 weighs 3,420 lbs. That's a monumental difference of.....get your calculator.....312 lbs. Gosh, how could the AMG ever compete with that sort of horrendous weight difference? Very well actually.

And he says he's never gonna track whatever car he buys.

You guys don't listen to what the OP is saying, instead opting to project your own wishes onto his car buying decision. All I did was offer him an alternative to consider that fits most of his criteria and is a joy to drive in the real world, not some juvenile fantasy.

Can't wait for your next visionary insight Mezza!

I dont need to drive one.
So your car buying decisions are based on magazine reviews and internet opinions. You simply read the opinions and fork over your cash. You never actually drive a car before buying it. Smart! A real time saver. And that way reality can't intrude on your preconcieved notions and your world stays perfectly ordered.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
My main concern is that I would get used to the 911 and bored with the power... once I get bored with a car it usually gets sold at a loss, wife is pissed, etc etc...
1. Very wise! I don't know how old you are, I'm 61, but you probably have plenty of time to get the Porsche, later.
2. I've had the same thoughts about the clock ticking, and I'd enjoy owning a few other cars, but at the end of the day, I have a great ride, and throwing $20k at another car wouldn't up my happiness level any, well, ok, for a few weeks, maybe!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 PM

I hope to find a good deal on one of these in a couple years
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...o-catch-page-3

A fellow AutoX'r just got one locally in red. Amazing machine and definitely sexier than before.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM

SLK is nice, i doubt its reliable, especially used one for $30k or under. plus MPG is not great compared to S2000 or Cayman
Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM

All Mercs loose a ton of value fast. I can't believe some of the price drops I've seen on some AMGs. I would never reccomend someone to buy one new, especially if it's their first Merc.

I know a guy that has a 2009 SLK 55 AMG. He wishes he would have gotten a bigger car but couldn't afford a newish SL and there wasnt a drop trop V8 M3 at the time. He's British so he'd never go American or Japanese small engine. It's still small, like an S2000, but with a little more room everywhere.