Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cayman Engine Failure at Carolina Motorsports Park HPDE

Old 12-14-2020, 08:56 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
After talking with Charles and a few others over on Rennlist, they've more or less convinced me that my Cayman's engine was starting to develop problems about 18 months ago. All signs lead to bore scoring. If nothing else, some of you may find this discussion interesting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-cayman-s.html
That makes a lot of sense, and I am sure they are on target with that assessment. I also had bore scoring combined with bearing failure, I never took the time to figure out the relationship between the two, like the chicken-egg relationship, I just replaced the motor.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:30 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
After talking with Charles and a few others over on Rennlist, they've more or less convinced me that my Cayman's engine was starting to develop problems about 18 months ago. All signs lead to bore scoring. If nothing else, some of you may find this discussion interesting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-cayman-s.html

That sucks bro.

So it sounds like an inadequate oiling issue then? I know it wasn't the IMS, but I wonder if this was the D chunk issue that plagued earlier Porsche engines?

Don't mean to rub salt in your wounds, but stuff like this really makes me stay away from Porsches, and really any Euro car (outside of warranty). If I had a dime for every time I heard engine issues are totally overblown, just look at the statistics! And then I see this with people I know, not just some pissed off random person who decided to vent on the internet. What makes it worse is that if/when something does go wrong, it just costs so damn much to address alot of the time.

Anyway, so what's the next move?
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (12-15-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 10:48 AM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
So it sounds like an inadequate oiling issue then?
What i've read about the M96/97 is that oiling under heavy lateral load is very hard to address, even with baffles and aftermarket pumps. I've heard the only real way to address the oiling on the M96/97 for sustained long-term track use is going full dry sump.
windhund116 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
What i've read about the M96/97 is that oiling under heavy lateral load is very hard to address, even with baffles and aftermarket pumps. I've heard the only real way to address the oiling on the M96/97 for sustained long-term track use is going full dry sump.
Not really what I would expect from a Porsche,
Old 12-14-2020, 01:01 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Well to be fair, alot of other cars have oil issues during high g sweeping turns, off the top of my head I believe the vettes since c5 had that issue, Zs, and even the S2000s. But in the case of the vette, in their Z51 and above trim/models, they offered a dry sump. But yes, disappointing that it was such an issue, made worse by it not being the only issue.
zeroptzero (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 02:00 PM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Not really what I would expect from a Porsche,
There's quite a bit of discussion on it at rennlist.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-pressure.html

One of the key issues is the motor design, which causes the oil to foam due to crank whip, something that you can't address with baffles and a deeper sump pick up. The short of is what this guy says:

Old 12-15-2020, 06:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I'm surprised the engine isn't dry sump oil fed.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:19 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I think what I'm going to do is the following:

List car for sale at a price I'd be happy with, as well as with an option for the car without aftermarket goodies (I have all the OEM parts). Would list prices for the parts as well. Some are easy to remove, others (like the coilovers) would be a bit of a bitch. And if I get no bites on the car in 3-6 months, then I'll look at replacing the engine with another used (unmodified) M97 and just sell the car, for hopefully less of an overall loss. 3rd option, putting a built engine in it, is tempting....very tempting, if I want/plan to keep the car forever. However, right now I'm of the mind that I might want to own another sports car. Also it would take me some time to plan for such an expense.
The following 2 users liked this post by WolfpackS2k:
mosesbotbol (12-18-2020), TheDonEffect (12-15-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I think option 1 is the way to go. Get what you can out of the roller, and then decide later your next move. I'd honestly be surprised if you would come out ahead having a replacement motor installed. Yes, it would sell for more, but I doubt you'd recoup the full cost of putting the motor in. A built motor is just going further down the rabbit hole.

Someone made a good point in the Rennlist thread. The 9A1's oiling system is probably an order of magnitude better than the M96/97. I tracked my Cayman a handful of times, but only on street tires for this reason.
WolfpackS2k (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

I only used street tires

Quick Reply: Cayman Engine Failure at Carolina Motorsports Park HPDE