Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cars like the S2000, but larger?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars like the S2000, but larger?

I was going to make this post descriptive, long and drawn out but life is too short, let me get to the point. In summary, the S2000 is the perfect sports car but I don't believe it fits me. The S2000 fits me like my favorite shoe, nice and snug but I don't feel comfortable moving my toes around, ie. movements with arms and legs while driving. Is there a sports car out there that is larger but handles about the same as an S2000? Have you driven it? Why did you stick with the S2k versus buying it? That's all I want to know, thanks.

To make the scope of this post wider to accommodate the people who use the search button, the price of the car doesn't matter.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corvette is going to be the best match to your question. It's physically larger inside and out. You have more room to move around but it is still very similar in character to the S2000 (except a hell of a lot faster). It handles well and has a similar fun factor--it just does it in different ways.

I haven't bought one yet because I am still saving money. Drove an LS3 car for the first time last weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll get into one this year.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Syn
Corvette is going to be the best match to your question. It's physically larger inside and out. You have more room to move around but it is still very similar in character to the S2000 (except a hell of a lot faster). It handles well and has a similar fun factor--it just does it in different ways.

I haven't bought one yet because I am still saving money. Drove an LS3 car for the first time last weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll get into one this year.
I test drove a C5 Z06 and it did feel comfortable. To give others an idea, when sitting in the Z06, the front is a lot wider than the S2000. I was weighing the idea of an LS2 vette until I watched the "Search For Driving Pleasure" segment of Best Motoring. They tested the C6 convertible on their signature winding mountain road. Keiichi Tsuchiya actually called the C6 dangerous in English. I don't know why, but American cars all get stereotyped for bad handling. Even the 'vettes.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

370Z Nismo would be close, but a C6 Z06 or any C7 would be nice, though potentially more expensive.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Maze2k
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1396411119' post='23092632

I test drove a C5 Z06 and it did feel comfortable. To give others an idea, when sitting in the Z06, the front is a lot wider than the S2000. I was weighing the idea of an LS2 vette until I watched the "Search For Driving Pleasure" segment of Best Motoring. They tested the C6 convertible on their signature winding mountain road. Keiichi Tsuchiya actually called the C6 dangerous in English. I don't know why, but American cars all get stereotyped for bad handling. Even the 'vettes.
That's because if you aren't used to driving engines that make lots of torque, you think it's OK to mat the gas coming out of a corner. Which is just a dumb thing to do in a car easily capable of melting any tire known to man.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 AM

How did it take 5 posts before we mentioned the Mazda RX-8? There is no car closer in handling feel and capability to the S2000 than the RX-8. The Mazda RX-8 is the Honda S2000 Coupe that never was.

The RX-8 is larger, more practical, and cheaper used. But it also gets worse fuel economy and the engine is not as reliable as the S2000's.

Andrew
Old 04-02-2014, 05:03 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

The discontinued Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline were probably the closest cars to the S2000 until you get to the Porsche Boxster. They are essentially truncated Corvettes - they have more room for you, but not much else, and some of the ergonomics are ridiculous.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've eyeballed a C5 Z06 a couple times, but always wondered whether or not it's any more fun to drive than the S2000 on public roads at semi-legal speeds.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The discontinued Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline were probably the closest cars to the S2000 until you get to the Porsche Boxster. They are essentially truncated Corvettes - they have more room for you, but not much else, and some of the ergonomics are ridiculous.
This is actually quite decent looking. I'm not sure I'd buy one, but it's nice enough to look at.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Aston Martin and Jaguar both offer double wishbone suspension front and rear on their coupes like S2000. The next step up's from S2000 will all be more refined and none will have an engine that rev's like the S2000. Most others do not have as steep a windshield as S2000 does either.

Quick Reply: Cars like the S2000, but larger?