Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cars + Jobs = Life

Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bboy AJ,Nov 30 2009, 04:01 PM
Why are you going on about dentistry when he said he wanted to work with cars?
just giving out suggestions. i said he should do what he loves but its hard to make that much money, even in professional careers. Going into some car-related + 100k + good amount of potential is hard to find, shit half this forum would give their left nut for that job.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this link from Money.com

they have a list of the top median salary jobs,

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/be...hpay/index.html

But as it has been said in the above posts. Do what you are interested in because if its just for the money you won't last long!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is always the $$$$$$ industry! Big bucks there!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 AM

Aside from all the "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" advice, here's somthing I learned in the last 10 years....

Papers. Pretty much any and all legit jobs these days require licenses and certifications. Identify your concentration and then go get as many of these documents as possible. Find employers that will pay for professional training (big buisness and goverment is great for this) and use it to your advantage. Get jobs on the periphery of your field while you're a student. Be an intern. Find somthing to specialize in and make it your own.

Oh - and you won't get this right the first time. At least I didn't. It took me 2 years of pre-med to figure out how much I didn't want to do that. Then almost another year of scrapping/schmoozing/begging organizations for money to go back to school after I abandoned that course of study, a few more to get my undergrad and then another year of stepping jobs before I finally landed 'the one'. Or, 'the one for now', I guess...

I always chuckle when I read articles like this one -
Check out this link from Money.com

they have a list of the top median salary jobs,

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...pay/index.html
They may be right about the numbers, but don't view it as the ultimate authority. My job isn't on the list, and I started in the range of their 'top jobs'.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ducatijames,Dec 1 2009, 07:34 AM
Aside from all the "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" advice, here's somthing I learned in the last 10 years....

Papers. Pretty much any and all legit jobs these days require licenses and certifications. Identify your concentration and then go get as many of these documents as possible. Find employers that will pay for professional training (big buisness and goverment is great for this) and use it to your advantage. Get jobs on the periphery of your field while you're a student. Be an intern. Find somthing to specialize in and make it your own.

Oh - and you won't get this right the first time. At least I didn't. It took me 2 years of pre-med to figure out how much I didn't want to do that. Then almost another year of scrapping/schmoozing/begging organizations for money to go back to school after I abandoned that course of study, a few more to get my undergrad and then another year of stepping jobs before I finally landed 'the one'. Or, 'the one for now', I guess...

I always chuckle when I read articles like this one -

They may be right about the numbers, but don't view it as the ultimate authority. My job isn't on the list, and I started in the range of their 'top jobs'.
What do you do with a bachelors degree that earns $150k+....besides dealin' coke
Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 AM

[QUOTE]What do you do with a bachelors degree that earns $150k+....besides dealin' coke
Old 12-01-2009, 04:52 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Maybe I'm biased, but an accounting degree and CPA will allow you to work in pretty much any industry of your choosing. So, get a CPA and accounting degree and then go work around cars at dealerships, race tracks, auto manufacturers, big repair businesses, etc.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say keep passion separate from work. You will end up resenting your "passion" because you may end up taking the abuse of shitty work rules & pay because it's your "passion"

DO what makes you the most money so on your days off you can enjoy your nice car,nice house etc.....

That being said I don't think I could EVER work a M-F 9-5 job.......life is way too short for that BS.

I was contemplating my career decision yesterday as I was flying a plane from Newark to Omaha while getting the sh*t kicked out of me at 37,000ft. Moderate to Severe Turbulence for 4 F---- hrs for sub-par pay and ignorant passengers telling me they did'nt appreciate the rough ride?

That being said I usually have 3-4 day weekends , but some of these guys are home just a few days a month with a family, the "passion" gets old in that case.......
Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 AM

Just letting you know I took a path that most people may have not taken. Through scholarships, on-campus jobs "Resident Assistant", several jobs at once (Carmax/Best Buy/Coaching), while playing Men's NCAA soccer, and had a loan. My $88,000 dollar degree with a Business Management and Administration degree was worth every penny. I chose that degree because it allowed me to look at all aspects of business and while I do have my intentions on getting my Masters and possibly going back to get my CPA. I still thoroughly enjoyed my entire learning experience.

Here is the part that I believe most people don't use as a pathway as soon as they get out of college.

As soon as I got out of college, I was living at home and my dad said, time was up, you need to find a full time job. So I searched and searched and searched and absolutely nothing came about in the Management, Business world. So, I started working for an Electrical Construction Company as an Helper working for $9.00 an hour, which I could have done as soon as I got out of high school. Doing physical labor installing conduit and electrical systems sometimes ditch digging, simply it paid my bills. I then was enrolled into a electrical trade school in which I'm in my 4th and final year of school for that. I've since been promoted out of the field to into the office as an electrical estimator and then promoted again to Project Engineer and despite the economic times, I've since prospered through hard work and dedication. My next step will be Project Manager and as soon as the economy returns, it will be my next step.

I'm not meaning to boast or anything because I'm no where near $100K but I make enough to pay my living expenses, the S2K and getting ready to be married next October to my beautiful fiancee, who she herself makes decent money and she has a bachelor and masters degree from UF. My point is whatever you do, you must work your butt off and prove to the company you're worth every penny. I may not of had an ideal job when getting out of college, but I used my learning to understand how this business works. I use to think just like you, thinking as soon as I got my degree, I had my ticket. Not uh! No company in their right mind will offer that kind of money right out of college. It has to be earned. It takes years and years of absolute dedication and a little luck. Good luck to you and whatever you do, work your butt off!

By the way, I'm still looking for that job opportunity that allows me to travel domestically and internationally and offers the chance to succeed and most importantly pays well. That's my dream job!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Dec 1 2009, 09:17 AM
I would say keep passion separate from work. You will end up resenting your "passion" because you may end up taking the abuse of shitty work rules & pay because it's your "passion"

DO what makes you the most money so on your days off you can enjoy your nice car,nice house etc.....

That being said I don't think I could EVER work a M-F 9-5 job.......life is way too short for that BS.

I was contemplating my career decision yesterday as I was flying a plane from Newark to Omaha while getting the sh*t kicked out of me at 37,000ft. Moderate to Severe Turbulence for 4 F---- hrs for sub-par pay and ignorant passengers telling me they did'nt appreciate the rough ride?

That being said I usually have 3-4 day weekends , but some of these guys are home just a few days a month with a family, the "passion" gets old in that case.......
Great post for so many reasons.

There are some great jobs for great pay that will let you pursue your (to borrow Mr. Ball's words) passion on your time.

Even better, there are some professional directions that can provide outstanding cashflow and _time_.

When my #2 company was acquired I was moving through the corporate machine, enjoying every day less and less, though the pay, office size, role kept growing and growing.

It reminded me of why my entrepreneurial gene had rejected corporate gigs for so long. I bailed on a pretty stout salary, let my non-competes dissipate, and pursued the same industry, but on a much smaller scale and on my terms again.

Now the occasional trip up to "the big city" to meet with a client gives me a clear indication I made the right choice. Just seeing the people lined up in traffic, slogging home from their 9-to-5, when I'm at home, being infinitely more effective, and taking off at 2p if the surf conditions are right. I'm also got back to the same place financially pretty quickly, but now every buck is a direct result of my effort and it feels so much better.

I do work that's pretty fun and challenging, and on my ample free time, with our reasonably solid income, get to pursue the things I really love like my cars.