Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cars + Jobs = Life

Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Crackerballer,Nov 30 2009, 01:20 PM] Well let me tell you, don't be discouraged.

I graduated from Kenan Flagler Business school at UNC-CH (#2 or 3 in the nation for BSBA, depending on where you look) and most people coming out of my program were luck to make $40,000 starting (which is what I made after 5 months of searching).
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackerballer,Nov 30 2009, 10:20 AM
Well let me tell you, don't be discouraged.

I graduated from Kenan Flagler Business school at UNC-CH (#2 or 3 in the nation for BSBA, depending on where you look) and most people coming out of my program were luck to make $40,000 starting (which is what I made after 5 months of searching).

I am now back in school getting a Masters in Healthcare Admin, and hope to start somewhere in the 60s or 70s when I graduate spring 2011.

I like you wanted to do something with cars, but I found it is better to keep your passions and work separate. The reason I say that is if you find a job and get burnt out on it (even if it is something you enjoy) it easier to switch, and you haven't destroyed your passion.

If you definitely want to make $100k plus a year, you will need a graduate/doctoral degree.

If you want $100k straight out of school, do 2 years of undergrad then 4 years of pharmacy school. Work retail and you will start anywhere from $60-$80 an hour. probably more when you graduate. But you will never get more than a 5-6% raise annually and will be on your feet in a CVS/Walgreens/Safeway 40-60 hours a week dealing with the GP.

Just get into the best college you can and take the pre-reqs and go from there.
This is great advice.

For the most part, there are no free rides. Like credit cards, "pay" for things now or pay more for them later.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Another bit of advice. Bookmark this page and come back to it in five years. It will blow your mind how much your interests/ expectations/ etc. have changed.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by walkercart,Nov 30 2009, 02:30 PM
great advice. I would only add one thing. If you want to pursue your passion you might as well drop the income requirement. Money usually follows passion and not the other way around. It's generally better to do what you love and hope you get lucky and make a lot of money doing it.
Yes you are correct, I should have added this. And I want to add one more thing, do NOT let the price of college keep you from going to a stellar institution. There are so many loans, grants, and monies out there that you can find a way to pay for where you want to go.

College is a great time of life too, don't be in a rush to get out. Most likely you will meet your future wife there, and that can be a GREAT investment (and I don't mean money ).
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,Nov 30 2009, 02:52 PM
Another bit of advice. Bookmark this page and come back to it in five years. It will blow your mind how much your interests/ expectations/ etc. have changed.

Good luck.
Spot on. I went to UNC to be a dentist. Realized there was no way I could be in people's mouths all day everyday.

I had never taken an economics/business class before college, now finance and economics are my passions.

Great advice in this thread.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should be in OT... Just a thought.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

i wouldnt suggest business or finance. You can always go into those fields. And they ahve low success rates especially in this economy. Many of my friends have had hard times getting jobs from Stern; etc. Unless you are that damn good at what you do you don't make that much money.

Id suggest either majoring in a Hard science, engineering, or math because you can do so much with these degrees. With a hard science you can easily go to dental school (this is what i suggest, the next 20 years is dentistry's golden age), medical school, and law school (law school love hard science or math majors).

However, if you take today's economy into account, doctors are getting paid less n less for more work, and if you think being a dentist is disgusting you have NO IDEA what doctors have to do, lawyers are getting laid off and grads from top schools with top grads are getting their offers deferred. Dentist, however, have it good. The Deficit of dentists is increasing every year and its getting easier and easier to specialize. Shit become a orthodontist and open up your own practice. Its the new plastic surgery.

So i would suggest doing what you love b.c at the end of the day you don't want to be at a job you hate especially since you can make money in almost any field.

However, also take into consideration the type of life your expecting to lead. Don't expect to be a lawyer and make $100k starting unless your ready to bust your ass through law school and work 60+ hours a week. Don't expect becoming a doctor is going to guarantee you millions. You have to earn everything in life.

Personally, i want a job that i have time to do everything else. I love working but i would want a job a i love and also have hours that im ok with. To me that means workign 9-5 and thats it. No weekends no overtime, unless in extreme circumstances. Remember your gonna have a wife n kids one day right? Do you want to spend time at home with them? and while your a bachelor you want to enjoy life. Thats hard to do while working 60+ hours.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you going on about dentistry when he said he wanted to work with cars?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by walkercart,Nov 30 2009, 10:30 AM
great advice. I would only add one thing. If you want to pursue your passion you might as well drop the income requirement. Money usually follows passion and not the other way around. It's generally better to do what you love and hope you get lucky and make a lot of money doing it.
couldnt agree more.

im about 3 classes shy of graduating with my BA in international relations. im looking to go into something government and the reality is that i will probably be getting paid crap, but its something i love.

best advice i can give the OP is to sit down and write down all the the things that interest him and see what degree program best fits the bill.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546,Nov 30 2009, 03:27 PM
Personally, i want a job that i have time to do everything else. I love working but i would want a job a i love and also have hours that im ok with. To me that means workign 9-5 and thats it. No weekends no overtime, unless in extreme circumstances. Remember your gonna have a wife n kids one day right? Do you want to spend time at home with them? and while your a bachelor you want to enjoy life. Thats hard to do while working 60+ hours.

I used to be ok with working the 60+ hour weeks and pulling down the big money. Let me tell you that it gets old quick.

The job that I am in right now certainly pays me less than I was earning when I had just my Bachelor's, but I am much happier working where I am now than when I WAS working 60+ hour weeks.

I also echo the sentiment that if you work doing what you love, then the money will follow. If you enjoy what you're doing, then you'll likely do well in it. For example, I just earned a $2k merit raise today at work...and I don't feel like I had to bust my butt to earn it, it just is a nice bonus to what I do.

Don't pick a major right off the bat. Most people I have known in college that started in on one major never finished it (myself included), and often a lot of classes you took in one major don't carry over well into another. Take lots of different classes your first two years in college. Hell, go to a community college - it'll save you lots of money till you find what your true calling may be.

And finally, just because you have a degree in a field doesn't mean you'll get hired in it. I know people who have chemistry degrees that are working as SQL programmers.

Quick Reply: Cars + Jobs = Life