Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cars that have aged poorly

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye,Aug 12 2010, 08:36 AM
Most Mercedes and GM products.

The ones that come to mind - 190E, the 2004 Malibu/Monte Carlo, anything Oldsmobile, anything Pontiac, most Cadillacs.

Lets be honest though - most cars do NOT age well. There are a few standouts but hardly anyone is above 'the times'. Short of exotics, its really difficult for me to pick 5 80's cars I think are attractive.. with such offerings as the Cimarron and K cars - you'd think it'd be easy!
But did you think any of those cars were attractive when new?

Really I find few cars I thought were good looking when new but now don't look good to me. Certainly many have dated styling features such as pop up headlights but I don't see those as something I have changed my mind on, mostly something that is just from that time period. I don't think for example the Chevy Beretta aged badly. I didn't think it looked that good when new. Same with the Lumina etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rnye,Aug 12 2010, 08:36 AM
Most Mercedes and GM products.

The ones that come to mind - 190E, the 2004 Malibu/Monte Carlo, anything Oldsmobile, anything Pontiac, most Cadillacs.

Lets be honest though - most cars do NOT age well. There are a few standouts but hardly anyone is above 'the times'. Short of exotics, its really difficult for me to pick 5 80's cars I think are attractive.. with such offerings as the Cimarron and K cars - you'd think it'd be easy!
disagree with this.. Pontiac made some bad ass cars over the years..
Pick just about any car from the 60s and tell me it didnt age well.

Then look at the G8 (that will definitely age well), even the solstice will probably age well (i think the sky is better tho)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the NSX has not aged well. The most recent years already looked old off the lot.
I dont get why people are saying the G35 hasn't aged well. I think its still a bad ass car.
I agree with the Z3. When i was a little kid that was my dream car now i tihnk they look so small and weak.
Any Miata does not age well. They always look beat and outdated.
Previous generation of Honda Accords already look terribly ugly and old
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k,Aug 12 2010, 10:02 AM
I think the NSX has not aged well. The most recent years already looked old off the lot.
I dont get why people are saying the G35 hasn't aged well. I think its still a bad ass car.
I agree with the Z3. When i was a little kid that was my dream car now i tihnk they look so small and weak.
Any Miata does not age well. They always look beat and outdated.
Previous generation of Honda Accords already look terribly ugly and old
This brings up an interesting point. I wasn't a kid when the Z3 came out. My view of the appearance of the car really hasn't changed. However, my view has changed to some degree with respect to the Ferraris and the like from when I was a kid. It seems many people are naming cars of their adolescent interest rather than cars that perhaps aged badly.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Aug 12 2010, 11:25 AM
This brings up an interesting point. I wasn't a kid when the Z3 came out. My view of the appearance of the car really hasn't changed. However, my view has changed to some degree with respect to the Ferraris and the like from when I was a kid. It seems many people are naming cars of their adolescent interest rather than cars that perhaps aged badly.
That is a good point.

For example: when the Geo Storm came out...I was in, like, 3rd grade or so...and I thought it was like a Corvette or a Ferrari or something. All my 3rd grade brain could process was: 1. it had angles that looked "sporty" and 2. it was red.

Additionally, but unrelated, when I was that age...I thought that cars moved forward by pushing air really hard out of the exhaust pipes, and that the coolest car that you could buy was a shark car. I thought it was a production car...it was actually an old Cadillac that somebody had fixed up to look like a shark.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Pontiac Fiero?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:24 PM

I remember a model that looked instantly aged as soon as the next gen came out. The E36 3-series right when the E-46 3-series was released (around 1998). And I LOVED the E36 when I was in high school, but it just looked 'old' when the silky smooth e46 was released.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by rockville,Aug 12 2010, 11:48 AM
But did you think any of those cars were attractive when new?
Ah good point actually. They were never really lookers...

For Mercedes, the R129 SL as someone else mentioned. Looked "good" when it was new/ish, looks TERRIBLY dated by 2000.

The Fiero and Corvette are better GM examples as well. My first car was a Fiero and later I had a 3800SC'd swapped GT - they are VERY dated and have not stood the test of time at all - especially that vomit inducing interior. For some reason I still like them. I think the Solstice and Sky will age really poorly as well - one looks cheap, the other too gaudy, although when the Sky came out I thought it was great looking!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Thought it looked so good when it came out. ugh.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM

I gotta agree with

S2Kevint, S2KNFR and nofearofdanger.

A 996 looks dated to a 997 for sure, any update is going to do that. But does a 996 look dated period. Not really given its very close to a 997.

An E46, again dated compared to a E9x. Not dated when compared almost almost any other vehicle of its vintage. A MSport E46 coupe with CSL rims, like S2Kevint's M3 pic still looks good and its hard to argue its a dated design when it still looks so good.

The oval eyed, SL is still a gorgeous car.

Most modern cars are going to date better then older vehicles, thanks to better plastics that are more UV resistent and so forth.

Quick Reply: Cars that have aged poorly