Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Cars that have aged poorly

Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jworms,Aug 11 2010, 02:13 PM
Ferrari Testarossa (last built - 1996)

Lotus Espirit (last built - early 2004)

i think both of these cars look horribly dated for their time. any time i see one on the road i think it should have been made in the early 80s for it to fit in aesthetically.
Ferrari Testarossa and Lotus Esprit are timeless designs. They are almost up there with Gullwing.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 AM

Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 AM

many people have already said the ones i think. besides most of the cars that Chrysler and GM put out...cuz they all tend to look like crap after a couple years...the first two that came to mind are the AP1 S2000 and the Z3. used to think both were great cars, but the Z3 is nothing compared to the Z4 and the S...come on...the 5 point wheels are hideous, the front bump is blah compared to even the AP2 and the headlights are cheap looking with those big orange plate-like deflectors. sorry guys.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by asiliat,Aug 13 2010, 11:05 AM
Agreed with DB7 - especially the interior. Look inside, it's just plain bad. THis is from an 02:
wow, that is bad.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by exb00st,Aug 17 2010, 11:07 AM

S2K = timeless. All you need to do is slap on some new headlights/taillights/bumpers every few years.
I will keep replacing my headlights every couple of years,with brand new oem headlights...When you see those Ap2 headlights blingin' like new in 2014,its me..
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 34witt,Aug 17 2010, 12:08 AM
The NC is by far the worst looking Miata out there. I'm pretty sure you are the only one that thinks this other than my sister. The S2000 is no where near aged, it never will. I am no fanboi either, timeless will forever be timeless.
Looking at what you have driven, I think you are just biased in the fact that the Honda S2000 will not get "aged".

All of Hondas products look awful right now in my opinion, and they perform accordingly compared to rivals in terms of performance, interior quality, and fuel economy.

That's why I think you think the S2000 doesn't look so bad, compared to the new Hondas it looks awesome still... compared to what's out there now in other competitors it really has put a number on the car.

No Successor, Poor sales towards the end, no major updates... honda has really dropped the ball
Old 08-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Christople,Aug 22 2010, 12:27 PM
Looking at what you have driven, I think you are just biased in the fact that the Honda S2000 will not get "aged".

All of Hondas products look awful right now in my opinion, and they perform accordingly compared to rivals in terms of performance, interior quality, and fuel economy.

That's why I think you think the S2000 doesn't look so bad, compared to the new Hondas it looks awesome still... compared to what's out there now in other competitors it really has put a number on the car.

No Successor, Poor sales towards the end, no major updates... honda has really dropped the ball
The S2000 WILL age incredibly well because its not gimicky or weird - its safe and clean.

The last gen Z4 will age terribly thanks to the 'flame surface' design crap - just like the Z3 did - only it was the odd lines and 'gills' that age the Z3.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 00S2K01S4,Aug 18 2010, 11:37 AM
I think Audi's age well compared to other makes and they have some good looking cars. I agree with Dr.WOT, the A8 looks great. The S8 in Ronin still looks great. Even the old Quattro looks great. My ex has a TT MK1 which still turns heads or she is just a hottie.
I'm not sure I agree. On one hand, I think that most Audi's do technically seem to age well because they have a somewhat basic, maybe even pedestrian, style that is free of gimmicks, but I think that for something to be said to age well it has to have looked good from the beginning and the very thing that makes most Audis age well is what kept them from ever being very captivating in the first place.

In other words, I don't they they are aging well in the sense that an FD RX7 is aging well, rather they were just so plain that they don't smack of any particular era in a profound way.

However, the newer Audis, in my opinion, are way more bold looking but their newfound boldness will probably be the thing that undoes their timelessness.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rnye,Aug 22 2010, 02:01 PM
The last gen Z4 will age terribly thanks to the 'flame surface' design crap - just like the Z3 did - only it was the odd lines and 'gills' that age the Z3.
Nah, the Z4 is a very nice design. It was very forward looking when it first came out which ultimately led to people hating it.

People love to be stuck in the past, what can I say:

Cars that have aged poorly-vzdod.jpg

The Z4 is a fantastic design. I don't believe it will age the way most BMWs do. I mean, the Z3 looks like garbage today. I think the Z4 could be released today and shock the world.

Cars that have aged poorly-gi1h4.jpg

I'm pretty set on buying that car once I graduate. I guess we'll see in about 5 years whether it has aged poorly.

I'm a big, big fan of that design. I enjoy forward moving designs that are ahead of their time. I absolutely adore Bangle. I'm also a big fan of Terblanche so that says a lot. I own a 749S and it is a work of art. It's considered the black sheep but that's because people don't embrace dramatic change. I understand why. I just think they're out of their minds
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 PM

I think you are very right. I also rather like that Audi in the past and BMW as well tried to maintain an austere styling that aged well. Earlier Hondas included the S2000 tried that. The current Hondas I'm not as sure about.

Quick Reply: Cars that have aged poorly